New Board member needing some help please! I have a mid-to-late 70’s Mustang Skid Steer, Model 330, with its original MHC MS/2699B 18HP Onan Engine. I’ve owned it for 10 years and used it infrequently (200 hours) under light loads during this period. Sits for months without startup. Guessing the engine has approximately 3,500 hours on it (hour meter broken). The engine has been running strong since I’ve owned it even with slightly worn piston rings in number two cylinder. Have had some minor issues along the way, but expected with its age i.e. rebuilt hydraulic cylinders, replaced hydraulic hoses, and replaced the vacuum operated fuel pump 3 years ago with an electric micro fuel pump and plugged the vacuum line to the engine. During last week’s startup for snow removal, the engine draws and burns considerable engine oil through both cylinders while operating the hydraulics and will bog/shuts down unless load is removed. The Onan engine runs better at idle and full throttle when hydraulics are not engaged, but still burns oil through both cylinders. The air filter and crankcase breather are clean. Any thoughts to my issue? Do I have a vacuum leak? Thought the governor might be out of adjustment? Appreciate the help!! Thanks!
is it smoking blue? could have broken an oil control ring. if its not leaking anywhere then its burning it. sounds like your running on half a engine. only way to be sure is pull the motor and check it, aside from a compression test. best of luck getting parts, good machine though
Does the engine have a crancase vent tube? Make sure a mud dobber hasn't clogged it up.
ATCOEQUIP / Gehl man ... thank you for the quick response. Yes, it was burning oil/blue smoke. I spent some more time troubleshooting it yesterday and found that the switch to the fuel pump had an internal short. Pump was providing fuel intermittently to the engine …. reason for the engine drawing and burning engine oil. I think I will go back to the vacuum type fuel pump to eliminate this issue. Your right about parts. Hard to find and expensive when I do. Original thought was to purchase the Mustang and use for rough/final grade to home I was building and then general work around the house. Felt hydraulics would last forever with my level of use and I would replace hydraulic lines / rebuild cylinders / general maintenance and I would have an inexpensive solution for my part time use. Now I'm debating ... maybe purchasing something 5-6 years old that can be more reliable and selling the 330. Not sure.