Was looking to buy an MTL16 Mustang (I believe same as Takeuchi TL130) but I can't even pick the front end of the machine up with the tilt. The boom lifts and lowers, the drive goes forward and backward, but the bucket tilt is super weak. I was thinking the hydraulic pump for the boom functions might be going bad since the drive pump seems to be fine. Or could a control valve cause this issue? I'd love to price out the repair before I decide to buy. Thanks for any input.
You don't mention hours, but, if over 8k, that's when I repacked my tilt cylinders on my TL150 machines. Boom and bucket are same pump, so, I'm more inclined to blame a relief cartridge stuck, or a cylinder bypassing. On my TL150 machines, the barrel pins were galled onto the boom, so I just pulled the rods and heads, and left the barrels on the machine. If you roll the bucket all the way down, will the boom lift the machine (and hold it up)?
It has about 3500 hours. I am trying to remember my best but I do think the bucket rolled down would allow the boom to lift the machine. What I found odd was the fact that the bucket wanted to slowly bleed down and roll itself. I can't imagine a pump issue would cause the bucket to want to tilt itself without any operator input. Can a cylinder bypass without any visible leaks because there were none on the tilt cylinders. Not sure about relief cartridge but will research now.
Yes the cylinder can bypass internally . If you extend the cylinders and take one line off . And cap the line you just and took off and try to extend the cylinder with a hose clamped on the port into a bucket . If oil starts to come out of the cylinder port the seals are blown out .