Mustang MTL20 (Serial #214003XX) Hydraulic Failure / Rupture at Pilot Line Filter Assembly. Mechanical joint where sump canister threads on the Head portion of filter assembly see pics below. Location is MidWest Day temperature at time of failure Low of 10 high of 25 (wondering if water / ice play a cause in failure) Machine ran 2 hours of light duty and parked in building 2 days later machine started in the AM Filter directly ruptured and drain all the fluid. Item 31-1-5, part# 182104, Pressure switch......Can someone provide details about the function of this switch with in the system please ? Few months back machine had a failure where it would not move ended up replacing a relay located under the hand controls. Wondering if this pressure switch also is related to the same row of relays?????? Filter housing replacement is a none issue..... BUT.... looking for insight into the root cause of problem and some way to ensure replacement filter assembly WILL NOT suffer same fracture!! i.e. It WONT just happen again My location is North East Indiana would be grateful for any suggestions on a good place to take it to that would preform repairs and service
To the top
Wow. What oil you running for the hydraulics? My initial guess would be oil was too thick and cold. But then I would think there's a pressure relief valve somewhere? Maybe it's stuck. Whenever I start my tl140 in the cold, it don't like it and I get warning light on cluster until it runs for a bit.
Who installed the filter last? Maybe it was way over tightened too. Which it shouldn't need to be too tight, since the oring is on the side of the cylinder.
What viscosity hydraulic oil are you running in there? I only ask because I run a 10W here, in my Takeuchi machines, and.... if not warmed up properly, in below 30°F weather, the element inside that cannister WILL collapse (blow shut). I suppose, on yours, there was a defect in the housing itself, combined with too heavy of an oil and failure to warm it up before going over 1/4 throttle. When my filter would blow shut (3 machines over 20 years and I've had it happen a dozen times), the hydraulic warning lamp would flash. It was worse early on when they still had the original oil in them. That switch turns on the idiot light when the filter is restricted. It has no other purpose. And, several of my Takeuchi responses on here, over the years, talk of that filter blowing shut, just so as you don't think I'm making this up.