Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang MTL20 starting issue

Leo Nasadoski · 2020-04-26 15:56

hi guys! New to the group. I have a mustang MTL20 with a 82hp isuzu turbo engine. I am having a starting problem with it. I turn the key to the glow plug position, light only stays on maybe 3 or 4 seconds. Turn it over, it'll turn over quit a bit then fire. Doesn't fire up smooth on all 4 cylinders when it does fire. I was told glow plugs were all changed last year. Curious to know if there is a glow plug timer, or something else not letting glow plugs run longer? When machine starts it smokes a little bit, clears up and runs excellent. Any ideas?

Replies3
  1. #1FlyNDT932023-01-04 20:35

    From experience on my MTL20, the glow plugs will continue to heat for as long as you hold the key to the left. In winter in Wisconsin I usually hold the for about 15 20 seconds

  2. #2Nige2023-01-05 08:48

    You’ve posted in the wrong place. I’ll ask for it to be moved to get better exposure.

  3. #3BMsuper2026-09-27 10:56

    Don't know where to post this. I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Mustang MTL20 with 2200 hours on it. The hydraulic system light on the instrument panel blinks red. What could be causing this? I'm hoping I can get in touch with MTL20 owners.