Just wondering if I am the only that drives a " Mutt " or a Hienz 57 My daily driver is a reasonably reliable ride . 84 C30 Chevy . Makes 80 miles a day when I work . Thing is .... This truck is a patchwork Quilt of parts and looks it Gave 450 bucks for it and drove it home . That in it's self should be the 1st clue . Drove it a year and the wore slap out 350 died . This post is not to promote any one brand . However I do like that tons of parts will swap back and forth for a lotta years with Chevy and my truck is a pretty good sample of that . When the 350 gave up the ghost all I had in the shed was a 250 inline 6 banger . Changed the oil and it's made 20,000 miles so far . Bought one elbow, cut and welded the exhaust up the rest was bolt on . Here's a list ... truck started as a 1984 . Numbers on the 350 showed it could be from a 10 year span so that's a complete guess . Really shows signs that it started as a diesel engine truck . The 250 in it now is from 1977 1/2 ton The rear axle when I changed the lube oil has a ring gear dated 1979 The bed is 1978 - ish Front sheet metal , hood and doors are from an 1989 Suburban . Steering column 1973 to 1976 . Has dual fuel tanks but all signs are that the left side was added at some time . Driveshaft had that yellow paint marker all over it like the junk yard use's . Steering box gear is 1982 . I will even include a picture so when you see me around KC you can give the old wreck a wide berth .
Me thinks you've been influenced by a certain Johnny Cash tune.
Lol tiny how long u had that truck I think I know who it used to belong to...... Did it ever have a service body? Pj
If that 250 has been taken care of all along it will probably outlast the rest of the truck.
I've had it for about 5 years . Not sure about the the utility bed as it had the pickup box when I bought it . Think the previous owner said it came from Belton Missouri .
For the most part it don't do too bad , It don't like my old home built goose neck much . But if you don't expect too much from the start , Your not disappointed
tiny, I LIKE IT!!! I heard a saying years ago that i have made mine " Its not what you can buy but what you build" i have a truck that started out as a 88 1 ton 4x4 that was single rear wheel. i installed a 2001 cadilac escalade front clip with cowl hood, dually rear end/bed, roll pan on rear, led lights, & a sticker on it that says "its just money" lol. I will post a few pics when i get back from vacation.
i had a few when i was younger but theres something to be said about being able to hit the key and not think twice about how far im going from home. I might be building another one soon. Might shove a cummins, with an allison 6spd out of a dmax under my old 93 F-450 with axles out of a new 450. but only maybe.
I have kinda always driven you-build-em trucks since I bought a brand new '88 one-ton and it got in 5 wrecks in 13 months. The last wreck totaled it, and the insurance co gave me what they wanted, and I still owed $7000. In 2000 I bought an '86 C30 with 63,000 miles from the town of Kiawah Island electric dept. I drove this truck until I killed the poor old 350 this spring. I got an F-super duty with 158,000 miles on the truck and less than 10,000 miles on a brand new crate 7.3 that was junked by the local Mack dealer. I got it from the junk dealer for it's weight in scrap since he uses my semi trailers more than I do lately. It was junked for a badly cracked bellhousing that I tigged up, then after sitting up for a year or so, it wouldn't run but a few seconds at at a time. I finally found 2 separate clogs in the fuel return line, and have been driving it since june, while finding and fixing a thousand rigged things. During the month I worked on this truck, I drove everywhere in my heavy-duty rollback with my C30 on the bed.