I picked up a 97 310SE. It was municipality owned and came with all service records. Has aux hydraulics to the end of the extendahoe. I'd like to add a thumb to this rig. Is there a way to use that system to power the thumb or are those hydraulics just made for "flow" like a hammer etc. ? Secondly, I have a slow weep of the seals on the front axle steering cylinder. Has anyone rebuilt their own with a new seal kit? Thanks in advance! Nick
Yeah, so probably like you think. That aux hydraulic setup is likely for a hammer, not a thumb. On the axle cylinder, maybe check youtube for a video on doing that. I have the 310E. I bet that was a heck of a load for that single wheel pickup!
That one ton Dmax handled it like a dream to get her home
hey Nick G, Congrats on the new to you iron!! I just picked up a backhoe a couple weeks ago. It is funny how we get a machine, then have to make it ours with modifications that suit us best. What do you intend to do with the backhoe? Mine will stay on my property maintenance. I have a bunch of projects planned for the next couple of years. Good luck!!
I grew up on a farm. Still own most of the woods. Want to make trails, clear stumps and fencelines etc. Just got done digging a bunch of stumps at my son's house, clearing a play yard area for my grandson. I'm sure as neighbors figure out I've got the machine, projects will come my way. When I was teaching I used to be an operator in the summers, equipment, dump trucks, etc. That might be my semi retirement job someday
You can use the extend a hoe circuit for a thumb. Just add an A/B switch and control the thumb with the foot pedal.
The difference between a circuit that is design to run a hammer or a thumb is whether, or not that circuit is bi-directional (two-way) or mono-directional. A hammer (or similar tool) usually requires a mono-directional valve. A thumb would require bi-directional like most all other functions on a hoe (thumbs extend and retract=bi-directional). If you follow the auxiliary hoses back to the main valve body see if there are (2) hoses (like all the rest of the circuits) or (1) hose coming off of the subject valve. A mono-directional circuit usually has the return line going directly back to tank (instead of through the valve) to reduce back pressure and heat, and provide maximum flow for tools like hammers.