Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing cylinder help

onehandman1 · 2020-03-21 18:08

Hey guys need some help. I have a 2005 super m series 2 and the swing cylinder is leaking. Ordered the seal kit and spanner wrench. I can’t get the end cap off. Piece you remove with spanner wrench. I took the little bolt out that keeps it from loosening it. I have gotten it to move a quarter turn but that’s it. I understand they are tight but I feel like once you get the initial torque loosened it would loosen up relatively smooth. This one doesn’t feel that way. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. A thanks! Paul

Replies11
  1. #1Dave Neubert2020-03-21 19:00

    sometimes you can hit the outside barrel with a 5lb hammer all around where the internal threads are and that will help or you may have to use heat

  2. #2Billrog2020-03-21 21:36
  3. #3JL Sargent2020-03-21 22:44

    Usually just working back and forth while gaining just a little at a time will get you to where you want to go. Patience is key here.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2020-03-22 00:16

    If you extended the ram all the way out the piston is against the gland or end cap as you called it. Back your ram up just a bit and see if that helps.

  5. #5onehandman12020-03-22 08:43

    Screw is removed pipe and breaker bar installed. I’ll try working it back and forth. All the YouTube videos I’ve watched the gland comes right off once you use a breaking bar and pipe lol. It feels like it’s ratcheting when it moves.

  6. #6Joe Friday2020-03-22 17:31

    I plan on doing this soon. Where did you find the spanner wrench, as I have been unable to find one big enough.

  7. #7onehandman12020-03-22 17:46

    All, I was able to get it apart. Back and forth did the trick. joe. Broken tractor has them. 75 dollars. I bought the breaker bar from harbor freight 89 dollars. Worked great

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-03-22 20:54

    I have one of the these. Uses a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar. $43.15 https://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-Glan...038589?hash=item546eac4d3d:g:bz8AAOSwQItT7VMG

  9. #9old-iron-habit2020-03-22 23:45

    You done well. I exploded my 48" steel pipe wrench on my 931B stabilizer cylinder gland and still have not cracked it loose. I had a good tight lift on it with the skid steer and hit the cylinder with a 4 lb. hammer and the wrench exploded. Going to weld steel plates to it next and use a sledge. Heat and hammer will hopefully crack it loose.

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-03-23 09:38

    Willie59's peening method has never been known to fail. HeavyEquipmentForums

  11. #11old-iron-habit2020-03-24 00:26

    Mine is the gland cap that is threaded over the barrel. I have peened it until I am blue in the face. And yes the set screws are out.