About 2 weeks ago, I lost the brakes [again] on my 74 Chevy C60. The hydrovac had gone bad a few years ago, I don't use the truck much, few hundred miles a year, so I was limited on where I'd go. I dumped a load of logs here at home, they tend to push the truck ahead as they come out, hit the brake, went to the floor. This time it looked like the master cyl. had let go, fluid down the firewall. I'd tried for a long time to find a useable hydrovac unit, no success. I took a gamble & ordered a new booster/master from a seller on ebay. Not a job I wanted to do in winter, but tore into it anyway. Finished today, I have brakes again, better brakes as half the master feeds the fronts, half feeds the rears. The fronts are grabbing first, i need to adjust the rear shoes. Lots of work under the truck, one line used to feed everything, had to split at a tee. Took the old hydrvac out, have to get the vacuum lines too - Long overdue this job -
I have always wondered why they did not use this type of booster originally. I guess I figured the Hyrdovac is stronger somehow. There are a number of places on the internet that claim to rebuild Hyrdovacs but I got rid of my old IH and never did anything about it.
That’s cool. Thanks for sharing.