No idea where to put this. I have a Case/Unimog sander that came with a Case MB4/94. The Case is being turned into an off road "moose buggy"/camper. Been thinking maybe using the sander the maybe 2-3x a winter it's icy by just throwing it on my flatbed truck. Just for my dooryard, maybe 1/2 acre. BUT the sander is run off a hydraulic motor. There's 12v motors "for sanders" available though not sure if I'd be strong enough? https://a.co/d/iqOoBCz Trying to keep it simple. Power pack would mean another small engine to keep running, plus buying gas.
Sell the spreader for whatever you can get for it and pick up a used electric spreader if you really need one. What you're attempting is a lot of time, effort and funds to make something that won't work as well.
$200 motor vs $5k for a sander....
Our sanders have a vertical shaft gas engine. I think it has an electric clutch cab controlled runs the slinger and the feeder belt. we have smaller ones, they are plastic, but made the same, and it looks like a starter motor that runs it. It runs the slinger and feed. Not sure if it would have the power to run that if it was fully loaded, but it works ok on this one. Not saying to buy one, just mean that a full load on this is easily handled with a 12 volt motor
I have a 15hp vertical shaft Kohler I could use.
Wouldn't be an issue to just put a scoop in it. Area i have to sand is maybe 125x200 or so. I have a rockhound that seems to scratch up the ice ok, but haven't fully tested it. Working a month at work, 2 weeks at gone and it just got super icy during my time away.