Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My 8K

TimHay ยท 2010-01-01 14:50

A picture of my 8 I found, Bought her from richie brothers about a year ago

Replies22
  1. #1TimHay2010-01-01 15:00

    Lets try this again

  2. #2EGS2010-01-01 15:09

    That is a sweet looking D8. What have you been using it for mainly?

  3. #3TimHay2010-01-01 15:26

    thanks EGS mostly a push cat for my 621Bs. It had a cracked exhaust manafould when i bought it. I put i new one on and it started missing bad and lost all power. Did the heads, counter bored #1,2,3, new piston and liners. #4,5,6 looked good. Got it all back together and same thing. Took off intake and ran. #1 was shooting exhaust out.. took of exhaust manifould ran, it stopped. When they moulded the manifould they sealed #1 off soiled right in the corner so it could only be seen with a snake camera. I am still fighting with Union tractor over this (parts shop). My mistaske was paying my acount up to date, now i have no more leverage on them. They did say they wil make it up to me down the road. so we will see what happens But it sure runs good now and it is an eye catcher

  4. #4EGS2010-01-01 15:37

    It sure looks sweet with that cab, bush sweeps and ripper. I was told that those older K's and H's had some serious power. Does it have ice picks welded on the track pads?

  5. #5DPete2010-01-01 16:03

    Good old horse, I had 77V18843 and 17604. To bad about the manifold, who would guess one port could be blocked off? One thing about them though, they're thirsty. When fuel was way high I figured the fuel was over $80 an hour. Glad it's back down now

  6. #6AtlasRob2010-01-01 16:35

    Mean looking suckers whatever they are. Would love to see a closer pic of those pads when you get a chance. D8K is my favourite tractor as its what I spent the most time on as a youngster.

  7. #7TimHay2010-01-01 19:09

    They were way to aggressive and I am not the best welder so a bunch bohe off and i cut the rest off

  8. #8TimHay2010-01-01 19:12

    This one is older then yours 77v10276 (1978)

  9. #9JTL2010-01-01 20:50

    Thats a log road builders dream Cat! An 8 with an angle dozer and a ripper. Nice looking Cat.

  10. #10Wylie52010-01-01 21:35

    Re: your tracks Looking at the photo of your 8K, It has to be the straighest 8K that I have ever seen. Must have less than 2000 hrs on the clock, by the look of it. any way the tracks that you have on your machine, look as if they have had segements welded on them, our you might have cut parts out of the shoe height so that a segment is off set along the track length or they are special shoes that you have. Cheers wheelybin. in Aust

  11. #11TimHay2010-01-01 21:44

    It shows about 5500 hrs on it but who really knows for sure as for the sagments i think you mean the corks i have welded on the pads I did that for traction on the ice and frost thanks for lookin wylie5 Tim

  12. #12Panhandler Bob2010-01-01 23:39

    8K's Damn fine dozers, push like no tommorrow. Spent a lot time in one in the 80's &90's. Around here hard to find a good one any more. To much abuse, not enough maintance. :drinkup Bob

  13. #13AmerIndependent2010-01-02 02:53

    TimHay, I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with Union Tractor. We do a lot of business with those guys up there and have had nothing but good experiences. Just curious what you're general thoughts are of them?

  14. #14Phil2010-01-02 06:31

    You mentioned counter-bore repair, you must have the earlier engine without the spacer plates? I remember Cat selling a 2-step insert that could be cut into the block, in the field, did you have this done and if so what was the cost? I recall that low piston liner height(from cracked ledges), and the final drives were the 2 areas to watch on the high-horse D8H and early K's. Some would just turn the rpm down a bit to reduce stress on the head gasket seal. I used to pull the final drive filters often to check. I remember reading about an additive for final drive oil that would extend final drive life, over on ACMOC. Nice machine, I wouldn't care for the angle blade myself, but nice to have when on the float. Phil

  15. #15TimHay2010-01-02 09:58

    I have no problem with union tractor at all. I mean lets face it crap does happen they will help me out on it down the road. i have since done alot there, it is ether them or finning so it still is cheaper to use union. I get along with my sales man good so we can make it up on an under carraige some time

  16. #16TimHay2010-01-02 10:03

    This has the spacer plate engine. Union bred it i wasnt there when they did that but it cost around $8000-$1000 to do three holes with travel time (an hour eachway)

  17. #17Trakwork2010-01-03 14:11

    Nice...:cool2 ..ever use it for Forest Fire work? With the screen and bottle all you need is a shovel and pick, some curtains and radio .

  18. #18Peter Kennedy2010-01-03 20:59

    Thats a nice looking tractor Tim Look after her please mate !!

  19. #19TimHay2010-01-03 21:06

    thanks. I have her in my shop now fixin some leaks and some cosmetic stuff. new door latches, and some new a arms on the windows. The outfit that had it before just had bolts to hold the windows closed, so now you can open them up. The AC suck lol

  20. #20BC BOY2010-01-11 15:58

    Hi Tim that,s a sweet! looking K.If it runs 1/2 as good as it look,s it will be an amazing dozer for you. I ran one here building logging roads for apx 10 years, it was set up exactly like yours, minus the cab unfortunatley.The outfit that I was working for tried to retire it many times, but nothing else would stand up to the punishment like it did. P.S I talked to my old boss and he told me that she,s still in his fleet, still working at apx 30000 hrs.

  21. #21wcglover2010-01-13 23:44

    beautiful machine, do you have more pics?

  22. #22cummins052010-01-14 02:43

    Nice cork job Tim