Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My Actual Job!

Burnout ยท 2008-05-11 01:37

Ok so I have posted some threads as of late.... my beat to crap 330, and overkill with the 375...and the winter/spring/spring pt 2... but the last few days I have been back to my actual job....track loadering. I'll start out with the equipment we have on site. This is a fairly small pipe crew, we are only going to service 170 lots and do some trunk sewer lines... so we have 1 385CL, a 330CL, D85E Dozer, 2 Dynapac CA362's, a Deere 710D, a Volvo L220F loader and the pride and joys.... 2 973's.

Replies15
  1. #1Burnout2008-05-11 01:40

    Ok a couple of the hoes working, just snapped some real quick ones... and a picture from in the cab of my old 973 with the Demo package. The cylinder guards were awesome.... they cut out all the glare... and they look sweet.

  2. #2Burnout2008-05-11 01:50

    Ok.... now here's what I actually do.... other than take pictures. First picture is a Sanitary sewer/Water service. It's a twin service for 2 houses. We dug the main's last year and backfilled them to the top as always. Now we go in, dig these service trenches and yada yada yada. I don't know how everyone else buried em around the world but we go at it a different way than most. Where you see that packer started out as only being 7ft wide. That's the first lift over pipe, I dug all that out with the 73. Now jump ahead to the next day, I have 7 or 8 of those service holes open.... now I start in the middle of the trench basically on top of the sanitary sewer.... and dig my way from service to service. I start out at the 1st service, start digging to the next hole and take that dirt and put a 1' lift in over the service I started at. So after a couple hours my jobsite goes from nice flat ground to what you see in the second picture. And in Pic 3... you'll see SERVICE time.... greas, fuel, bs session, and cleaning supplies.... gotta love it. Pic 4... thats my jobsite after 1 day of work. You keep digging the main trench wider and wider and wider until it looks something like that. I always dig my backfill dirt out of the trench walls, until I am property line to property line. In this case my trench ends up being about 50ft wide by the time I am backfilled to the 4' mark. Then we rip the storm sewer through, storm services... and finally.... start bringing dirt in from spill piles. I'll try and get pictures of the process on monday, its a rpetty weird way of backfilling, but we also give a 3yr warranty on our work.

  3. #3Burnout2008-05-11 01:52

    And finally after work what do I do?.... go play in a different kind of dirt.

  4. #4bear2008-05-11 02:39

    Yer actual job? I had thought Squizzy digger or one of the other nefarious moderators lurking here mad you the official pictyer taker? In all seriousness does seem odd but if that works for you guys :beatsme not my place to question. Looks like in a way it could be more efficient. Anyway get back to werk and bring pictyers! Arrrrrrr! had a heineken over the line...:drinkup rare treat

  5. #5Squizzy246B2008-05-11 05:26

    Nefarious! ...... I often take between 20 and 50 photos a day while on the job (Donchyajusluv Digital) but they are mainly to be used as a record of the job. Last Thursday I had to dig up some of the clients drainage system (its a church). The soakwells were completely root bound and filled up. I will be charging him extra for fixing it all up....so he gets a copy of the photos so he can see we are on the level. I have pretty much made it mandatory to take photos before, during,after as 1 set of photos I took a few years back was later used in the courtroom to prove that we were professionals and the builder next door was a lying filthy scumbag I also take the odd pic which may later be used in evidence on the Heavy Equipment Forums

  6. #6AtlasRob2008-05-11 15:35

    Great pics as always Burnout. Seems a pretty sensible way of going about it, you dont haul in loads of material and end up tripping over each other in the process. Took a second to work out how the 330 was carryin the stone box

  7. #7RonG2008-05-11 16:43

    I have never had a machine big enough to carry a stone box like that or at least it never occured to me when I was moving one.I think a 320 is the largest I ever used on a pipe job and I just grabbed the bail and gave it a yank when I needed to.Ron G

  8. #8Turbo218352008-05-11 17:01

    Looks like your typical pipe crew. No matter the equipment. You guys make a site look like a bomb went off, then leave the mess for the dirt crew to come in and clean up :idontgetit :stirthepot

  9. #9JimBruce422008-05-11 20:38

    :iagree ointlaugh Our guys carry their stone boxes like that all the time too, ready handy when they aren't where you need them. Used to do that with trench boxes too, but now safety says no:Banghead:beatsme Hey burnout, how come that 330 has a ton of little stinger teeth instead of a set of normal ones?:beatsme

  10. #10Burnout2008-05-11 22:36

    Those little stinger teach are our cutting edges. They are like an ice blade for a road grader. The pipe crew doesn't normally leave the site lookin too bad, its me that makes everything go to hell. Colin the guy in that 330 is the only one who carry's the miser box that way. No one else will do it. Normally they have the 973 move it. I just tip it on its side, stick my bucket inside it dumped and carry it with the topside of the bucket on the wall. That 330 is a fairly normal side hoe for us on a small pipe crew. 2 of the other pipe crews on our side are using the 375's for side hoes, and the other is using a 400 Komatsu. This subdivision is going to suck for me though. No dirt crew coming in after me for awhile. So I am doing backfill all the way to the top, and I have to do the fill of 50 and road core. It's gonna be a bit crappy but it's a good way to kill time. What I am trying to get used to is my new foreman. He used to run the 973 on another crew so he actually watches backfill. Normally the foreman never bothered me unless he needed something else dressed up on site. This guy is over 10 times a day buggin me. And he fired my favourite packer chick because she gave him attitude.

  11. #11Kenny R2008-05-11 23:47

    :cool2GREAT Pics Burnout!!!!:drinkup

  12. #12euclid2008-05-12 09:04

    Great Picures and explainations B-out:thumbsup

  13. #13stretch2008-05-12 15:09

    Now you're just trying to make it sound like the one about the 375...:cool2 Glad you handed the 375 over to someone else and took back what's rightfully yours, by now.

  14. #14hoeman6002008-05-12 15:24

    hey burnout me and 9420 pullpan might plan a trip one of these days to come see ya . we wana see all yer iron first hand . mabye if yer goin to mine-expo we will hook up and plan sumthing:drinkup

  15. #15Burnout2008-05-12 23:29

    I don't know whats goin on with Mine Expo now.We're plannin a wicked wheeling trip for our little Jeep club in september and thats gonna be an expensive trip. 11 days of wheeling and 600 miles of driving while we're at it. As for comin to see Iron.... come out this time next year. We will put you to work. And I'm sure we could get Bill a job at Finning sellin some yellow iron for a couple weeks. :drinkup