Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

my bobcat is dying help

evilbobcat ยท 2008-05-27 23:09

I have an 863 that is starting to make me mad. first problem is the easy one the starter is shot I can remedy that. The major problem is it over heats quick and fast. I have and regularly clean the coolers. I am thinking of installing a fan off of a Ford Taurus but if there is the right way or easer way I would rather do that. Please help. thanks Jason

Replies14
  1. #1KSSS2008-05-27 23:37

    Evil, May I suggest taking a .338 Lapua, open the engine compartment and kill it. You of course will want to park it in its final resting place first, if it can make it there. The only good BC is dead one.:Banghead Honestly it might be something simple and cheap or it might have been damaged from over heating and warped the heads or something equally as costly. I would trouble shoot it before going with the Taurus mounted cooling system.

  2. #274inchShovel2008-05-28 00:42

    Check or replace the thermostat first- if water cooled. If there is a steady stream of air bubbles coming out of coolant fill, even when cold, I would take the sugestion on previous post. The fan idea will not fix the underlying prob- dont waste your time

  3. #3mikef872008-05-28 05:42

    Is this the motor with the Deutz air cooled engine? If so A guy I know blew the head gasket it was smoking white. I don't think it cost to much. A few hundred bucks for the gasket and a day to put it in.

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2008-05-28 20:37

    Hot machine I am not familiar with the 863, but if its water cooled, I would do as suggested, take out the thermostat and see if it runs hot 2. look in the radiator and see if you see water flowing. If you dont have flow, its most likely the water pump 3. if it still runs hot, maybe a head gasket Good luck

  5. #5evilbobcat2008-05-28 20:47

    yea she is oil cooled. I think its the head, I hope its just the gasket and not the head itself. Now comes the fun part pulling the motor and figure it out. Jason

  6. #6mikef872008-05-28 21:39

    If I remember correctly you don't have to pull the actual motor, just the radiator and oil cooler? Good luck, I just spent $20,000 on a motor that overheated.

  7. #7shane2008-05-29 17:14

    Maybe a dumb question, but did you check your cooling fan angle drive, pulley, belt and tensioner?

  8. #8bobcatmechanic2008-05-29 19:14

    they are oil cooled check the fan belt pulley and tensioner they usually groove out over time the plastic pulley and the fan drive can be a bear to change but that is probably laid all the way back on the drive belt tensioner spring check that also if it is the head gasket you dont have to pull the motor just the head its pretty easy take the exhaust off then pull the valve cover and the air cleaner off undo the feed and return hoses to the turbo a 17mm to take the bolt out of the banjo fittings on the feed side for the oil to the turbo pull the alternator off hold the oil hoses that run right in front off the head with a 1 3/8 wrench as you turn the 1 1/4 fittings those bolts will snap other wise been there done that not fun then undo the rocker arm hold downs pull the push rods then pull the head off by taking out the torx head bolts off pull your old gasket off and get the new one as you look at the engine on the left side there will either be 1 2 3 notches cut in the actual gasket on the back side left side of the head get a new valve cover gasket check to see if it has an egr valve to get the right gasket then clean the head reassemble torque the head to 118ft lbs then 90 degrees after you go to 118ft lbs run the valve clearance 12thousands on the intake 20 thousands on the exhaust make sure you get the rocker retainers tight and put all the excesiories back on make sure to put the turbo oil feed line back on and your all done takes about a 6 hrs if you have done it before 8 to 10 if you haven;t not hard to do though

  9. #9mikef872008-05-30 05:52

    I guess you are a bobcat mechanic. Sounds like you know them better than Bobcat does.

  10. #10bobcatmechanic2008-05-30 20:20

    yep deal with the pos troubles off them every day they really aren;t that bad until you are having a bad day and have to work on them

  11. #11evilbobcat2008-05-30 21:15

    should I look for the service manual before partaking in this endevor? I'll get one just in case. I feel I could do it If I cant i got some good friends that would love to take a crack at it.

  12. #12mikef872008-05-30 21:24

    I had a JCB 190 Skidsteer probably one of the first models. I bought it because I needed it for snow removal. Well it blew the first motor at 400 hours, the second about 600 hours later, and then the third motor blew with about 500 hours on it. I rebuilt the motor and traded it in for a Cat 226. The first time the motor blew they couldn't get parts for 3 months because they hadn't made parts yet, thats how new it was. Never again.

  13. #13mrgreen2013-02-28 20:20

    i am having the same problem can you give me any more info

  14. #14crewchief8882013-03-01 11:41

    holy old thread resurrection batman. check between the hyd cooler and engine cooler for debris check the fan drive belt and tensioner most bobcat overheating issues are one of the 2.... :drinkup