Well, while trying to dig some boulders out of the ground my bucket got 'slightly' tweaked. Curious from some old timers what your experience is here. Do I hire someone to weld some thick pieces of metal to hold this back together? Or bite the bullet and drop money on a new bucket?
Time to compare the cost of welding a new floor in that old bucket, as against the cost of a whole new bucket. I'd have to opine a new floor, properly welded in, with a decent amount of high-strength weld material, is going to cost less than a whole new bucket. Going with a new floor also means you can utilise high grade steel plate with improved strength over the old floor of the bucket. You've got your moneys worth, and someone elses too, out of that floor, judging by the wear levels between the teeth!
Good day I suggest you make a good inspection of the bucket top if this is in good orderv makes a rebuild worth while. The floor looks much worse than it actually is. Kind regards Uffex
Seen that happen before. The fab guy fixed it and the bucket was still working fine when I left that place.
Learn how to weld.
If cannot weld to the level needed, have a good hold on something when a welder/fabricator gives a estimate. New, nope, decent used, better, taken to that same welder/fabricator to fix up prior to use. Welders here do not so much fabri-cobble as many old mechanics do, they fix them right.
C'mon, its an "F" linkage bucket...Shirley there are a plethora of used ones out there.
I'm sure there is some sarcasm here but I'm not well versed enough in these excavators to know what it is
Do these come welded from the factory with a seam down the center of the floor of the bucket? Or was this repaired in a previous life?
It's been fixed before all right, and a crap job of it too.It has been broken there on the left for a long time, there was not much holding it together when you got it. What he was saying above is that is a common style of bucket and looking at it, a used replacement might be best unless you are a sledgehammer and rose bud kinda guy.
Here are a few. IF you are getting after bony stuff smaller is better. These 42" are a little small for moving dirt, but they are quite a bit more scrappy when getting after a big rock. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/for-sale/caterpillar/345/bucket-gp/417?ModelGroup=345
Judging from that pic and the seams in the first picture, that bucket has been patched a few times. And most of the welds were either too small, not enough penetration, or they've cracked a while ago. Assuming the rest of the machine is in similar shape, and it looks like you're a DIYer, then it's time to learn to weld, and then learn to look for cracks so you can weld them before you have to bend them back first. None of that welding will be difficult to do better than the last time. A few chains, binders and maybe some hydraulic jacks will get it close enough for what it's for.
How do I know which buckets are compatible with my setup? I have a 1998 345BL will anything labeled 345B bucket work?
Yea, I've been ripping up a bunch of decent size boulders ~6ft in some instances. I didn't realize the smaller buckets would make a difference but you make a good point. Thanks.
They make a tremendous difference ! The floor is not as wide and vulnerable, and the ratio of strong sides to floor is better, and most important you can slot between some big nuggets and pick a layer apart where the big bucket is stuck working the outside of a nest of them. This also works on digging stumps. You can take on one big root at a time far more easily with a narrow bucket and exert more force on that single root, and snip it right off fast.
appreciate the feedback. So anything labeled cat f bucket will fit seamlessly?
Will need some serious heavy tooling to swap, Sledge, drifts, gas axe, inspect of pins and bushings, inspect mast eye for potential failure cracks. But yes a F style should be a pin on.
I've not needed a torch for a straight pin install, unless you are lopping off the retaining bolts.
Used 48" Caterpillar 345BL F/T Linkage Pin-On Excavator Bucket For Sale Used 48 www.hunttractor.com
Cannot remember many bolts did not have to axe. Was one of first thoughts as to the bucket photo.
correct me if I'm wrong, but your bucket appears to be a 5' ? That 4' might be just the ticket.
If you are curious how it is done by a guy and not a shop, this is a video that shows how.
I didn't roll new floors but I repaired all three of the buckets on the 120. HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums