the picture favorite truck mack dm-800 macktuf1973
i thought i was the only one i love mack dm800s i learned to drive in a dm800.
I was unware about this mack dm800, its looks really big.. the pics of mack dm800 are nice..
Here's one of the nicest DM800's you will ever find...........
thank you for picture, my best truck heavy-duty mack.
I just watched a couple of vids of that on youtube.Nice husky V8.Ron G
Number 1 is a DMM600. Number 5 is a RD800. Number 8 is a DM600. The others look like DM800's. The ones with 4 headlights are probably outside the US. Nice pictures.
picture mack dm-800 and other.
and shes from jersey hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!
Drove a DM 800 at Weyerhaeuser for two years in mid 70s, worse truck I ever had the misery to drive. Found the best way to drive it was to try to stand up in the cab on rough road. Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie had half a dozen or so. Original truck came to Weyerhaeuser with a 16yd rock box, but it was to heavy empty on the road. Pulled the rock box off and put a 12yd Columbia box on it with 3' side boards made with 1" plate. Had the 5 spd with the 2 spd Johnson bar. Top end was 32 mph. I did gross out once at 87,950 with rock spilling over the side. Fenders were always falling off, frames broke all the time, Couldn't keep a rearend in them either. One cab, the door fell off in the rain, long drive back to the shop (40 miles) in winter on a muddy mainline with no door. Mack salesman came out, said there wasn't a man alive that could break the truck.... He climbed in the truck with another fellow and before leaving the pit had twisted a drive line. The shop took all the axles and scored them so that when we replaced an axle which was almost a daily occurrence we could put the scored end in the hub, so when it did break everything (broken parts) were easy to access. My finest day was when I got enough seniority to be able to go back to a '64 KW with biscuits. Rode like a Cadillac compared to the DM 800
I just love MACKS!
I have been around Macks for a long time.I admit that they are not the best riding truck in the world but Macks strong points,the things that Mack is noted for are the very things that you had trouble with.For instance,drivelines (driveshafts) are not where they break on a Mack.It will be something in the rearend usually and if anything breaks in the rearend it is usually the result of abuse provided that the truck is being used as it was designed to be used.I cannot imagine the frame breaking on a Mack DM-800 if the proper frame was installed when it was built. Something does not sound right here in your post and I take exception to it,in other words BS!!Ron G
I agree. Unless we've found that one in a million that can actually screw up an anvil.
The best thing about a Mack is the Bostrom seat.
I have one RD and two RB Macks. RD is lowboy tractor, the RB's are quad axle dumps. Love the RB's the way they are but wish the RD had camelback rather than hendrickson rear suspension. They get it done for me real fine. Been around a few DM's but never owned any. Can't stand the off set cap and the screwed up mirror system with the passenger side stuck out off of the air cleaner and the driver side so close to the door. Doghouse over the engine with two cylinders in the cab is also a nightmare. Have seen lots of frame breakage problems with them because the way the frame is designed and built. Will stick with what I have
those dm800 are the best hands down strong rugged trucks i think we got ours still out running everyday shes my pride and joy there is only 2 people that driv my truck me and my dad those are the only people we trust. truck preforms awsome we got the 2stick 6spd they called it and she aint fast but she can haul and keep going threw anything.
The DM800 has a longer hood and no dog house. They also used a different frame than the DM600. It is the same frame that was later used on the RD800. Every one I've ever seen was a double or triple.
We have all macks 2 DM800's one is a 5000 gallon water truck the other has a 3000 gallon tank and a dump body with a quad box 3 Ten wheel R model's 1 rd688 tractor 1 RD688 ten Wheeler 1 rd688 Tri axle roll off 1 DM600 Boom truck 1 CV713 Granite Tractor with 58000lb rear ends Low bed Tractor 1 CTP713 Tractor And i just bought a Mack RM with a Scania engine and Automatic transmission i will get some pictures of it once its all painted and put back together
Well Dumpsterdavid, that would be a definite improvement with no doghouse and the other frame. The off set cab still does not appeal to me in my experience.
I know what you mean. I like my RD's.
The offset cab was great in some applications,a big improvement.In offroad dump/mixer (DM) duty there is no comparison to a conventional cab.In mixer configuration with cab control of the mixer you could drive and unload at the same time because you could see much better.In dump truck work not only do you have better visibility but you can reach the tailgate handle from the drivers seat......whats that?......I can hear it now. Air operated tailgates were not always an option on dumps trucks,we used to do it by hand at one time. For an over the road truck I would not have much preference although Roadway had a fleet of U models at one time,they either got a great deal on them or they liked them but they were a very common sight years ago.Ron G
The shorter hood on the U model was a factor when states had overall length laws for truck and trailer combinations. Mack also advertised a sight advantage for passing on a two lane road because you could see futher down the road without weaving across the center line.