Hi everybody. I am new to this forum, and before i go on i just want to say what brilliant bunch you all are. You have already helped me, and you didn't even know it. I just bought my first ever backhoe. It is a case 580b ck. It was not moving. After talking to my cousin about it, before i bought it, i thought all i had to do was maybe put some oil in the shuttle and it would would work. Well i had some trouble keeping the engine running at first. That turned out to be because there was not enough fuel in the tank. After i was able to keep it running, i found i had a hose throwing fluid out of it onto the ground for the swing on the hoe. So i went and had a hose made and put it on. Then i started searching for where to check and put oil in the shuttle. I do not have a book, so i went online to see if i could get some information. After doing some searching for a while, i found this forum. There were guys on here talking about there 580b's, and were having the same problem i was. So i kept clicking through threads and read a post by this guy who said that when he started to clean the cab he started scraping the built up grease and dirt off of the shuttle, low and behold, right there in front of the shifter was a large nut and dipstick. So the next morning i tried this. Low and behold, under all the gunk, there was a large nut! Unscrewed it, and there was a dipstick attached to it. It was bone dry. The type of fluid to put in the shuttle was also discussed on this forum, so i rushed to the auto parts store and got some Hy-trans fluid and filled it up. It took at least 4 gallons of the 5 gallon bucket i bought. I started it up, and put it in gear, and it moved! I was so happy, i was jumping up and down on the seat! I ran it back and forth in the driveway a few times, and it seems to work just fine. The fluid is foamy. Possibly water, i am thinking. But might be there was air in the torque converter. I will check it again later. Right now, i am fixing the brakes. I made the discovery that they were not working well when i was running back and forth in the driveway. They would not even stop it. I figured out how to do the brakes on my own, and am in the process of fixing them. Got my new linings and seals yesterday. Yes, i am replacing the seals because one brake was completely soaked with oil. The other one was dry and the linings were cracked, but i figured if i got to put a seal in one side, i would be best to change both. I also took off the 2 front hydralic cylinders for the bucket and took them to the local hydralic shop to be resealed. I should have them back today. I am excited! I am thinking that once i get the brakes done today, and get the front cylinders back on, i am going to finally have myself my own backhoe! My thanks go out to all you guys who unknowingly helped me to learn how to work on this. I am forever in your debt. :notworthy If there is anything i can ask at this point it would be this. How do i find out what year it is? All i can guess is it was built in the '70's. ?
ijoker... welcome to the club. i'm a relative newbie myself... and thanks to people like ronspowertrain... i'm starting to slowly figure things out. this is definitely the place to learn about old iron.
Hi, I just bought a backhoe too and so I'm also working through its issues and looking for information. Here are a couple sites that have serial number guides to tell what year your tractor is. http://www.equipmentpartssource.com/onlinestore/serial_number_guide_index.htm http://www.colemanequip.com/Service_TechnicalInformation.asp
Thanks for the tip on the websites for serial numbers. I am still having trouble though. Maybe i am blind. But i cannot find any serial number that begins with 8. Can you guys tell me where i should find it? The only serial number i did find was on the left side of the machine next to the cab. It starts with a 5.
post the number you found, and I will look in some books.
I just took the backhoe up to my other property, so i cannot look. But if memory serves it was 5300502. Thanks Mitch.
Congrats on the new backhoe. I remember operating those for the 1st time. it took a little getting used to for me but then you just feel awesome with this incredibly powerful machine working at your fingertips.
Thanks BigDogz. I did a little bit of smoothing out of the dirt roads around my property after the winter snow and water tore them up. It sure was nice to have a good machine to work with. Until now i always had to do things the hard way. I am starting on building a garage. Pole style. I used the hoe to dig one hole. It worked great. I am so happy with the deal i got on this backhoe. Somebody pinch me! I think i am dreaming!
Do you guys know any parts supplier for your backhoes? I am using mascus, but they're worldwide, and when I'm viewing [URL="http://www.mascus.com/Construction]cheap backhoe loadres from usa[/URL] (made it so you can click it), I get results from all over the world... And as you can see there are mostly machines, and smaller number of parts (or maybe I can't use the search function well :/ ). Are there any suppliers worth knowing or is it just going and checking sites like that, like ebay and other auction sites?
Well PatrickL, i don't know about your location, but i live in a small town where things are hard to find. When i was looking for parts for my backhoe, i found out that this equipment place that is known for selling polaris atv's also services, and sells parts for case equipment. With so many case backhoes in my area, i figured there must be someplace not too far to get parts. If you have not done so yet, check your local phone book under equipment. And see if there isn't somebody in there with an ad saying case. If you are stuck with trying to find parts online, i really don't know where to point you, except maybe e-bay. I seem to remember somebody suggesting caseparts.com. Hope i helped.
Banging my head! :Banghead Every week it's something! I have changed two hydralic hoses in as many weeks because they burst. One of them, which was last week, was one of the 8' ones for the hoe. cost me $95.00. Just yesterday my daughter was helping me shovel some dirt around a post we had just set, and BOOM! Like a gun going off the back tire blew. Now i am trying to figure out what to do with the tire. What does a new one cost? Can a tube be put in it? Is putting in a tube a good idea? What is the cost difference between a tube and a new tire? I am going to the local tire shop today to see what they say, but the experts are right here on this forum. HELP! :notworthy
I found out yesterday that because the tire had a big tear in it from it popping, they cannot put a new tube in it. Nobody in town has a used tire. So my only option it seemed was to buy a new tire. I did not know it, but these tires have tubes in them. Is that standard? I thought i saw where some tires are tubeless? :beatsme Anyway. The tire is costing me $522.00 and $56.00 for a tube installed. Fairly good deal i guess, but when you are unemployed as i currently am, it is hard to fork out that kind of money. And it leaves me with less to work with on my new garage. ointhead They have to order in the tire, but should have it by friday. For the next time do you fine people have any ideas how to get these tires cheaper? Thanks, Joe
I needed a backhoe rear tire, and couldn't(or wouldn't) spring for a $500 tire on a $2k machine. Talked to the tire dealers in the area that service large tires, and finally located a country store about 40 miles down the road that specialized in large used tires. Ended up buying a decent take off for $100. He had several in my size ranging from $100-$200. If you need one quick, this is probably not an option, but look around, they're out there.
I asked every tire store in town about a used tire, and nobody had one nor could tell me where to find one. I am not going to wait until the other tire blows though to find one. I want to have one on hand so i have it when i need it. I know they are out there, it is just a matter of finding them. If i run out of ideas Oldman, i might get you to hook me up with that place you found yours and have it shipped to me. Another gentleman on this forum hooked me up with a source to consider as well. That is what i love about this forum. All the willingly helpful people. Thanks, Joe