I have a 1975 Ford 4500 diesel with the CAV distributor style injection pump. I can get her to start up fine when cold, but starting hot can be a bear. After sitting for 20-30 minutes, I can get her started again. I have read that this could be caused by a worn head & rotor not delivering fuel properly to the pump. Thoughts?? Can I replace the head & rotor myself without disturbing adjustments to the pump? Any help is greatly appreciated! Dave
Anybody had any experience with rebuilding these CAV injection pumps??
Received a fix for my hot starting issue. This info came from Mike. If you ever need injection pump work, Mike is the man to see. His email: [email protected] "Hidden" filter cleaning / replacement: Shut off the fuel at the tank. At the pump, remove the fuel inlet line and the 15/16" nut. Under the nut, you will see a large spring. Remove it. (needle nose pliers) Using a small screwdriver, push/hold-down the "guts" of the pressure regulator, while pulling up on the "hidden filter". Use a right angle scribe hooked into the side of the filter. The filter is plastic. You should be able to pull it straight up, leaving all the "important" stuff intact. Just blow it off w/ some compressed air and re-install. Thank you Tinkerer!
I too have a 4500 with the same issues. I am not sure what you mean by the pressure regulator and where the hidden filter is. Do you have any photos? Did this solve the hot start problem? John
At the rear of the pump.
Hi John, I have yet to do the procedure on my pump. The plastic filter is part of the fuel inlet assembly at the rear of the pump. Mike was referring to the parts inside the inlet as pressure regulating. Not sure how these parts work, but my focus will be to replace that little filter and not disturb the other parts inside. Hopefully, that will solve the issue. I will keep you posted. I am still in the middle of a complete front end restoration on my 4500, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel! I will have my pump off the engine shortly, then I can clean up the outside of the pump and replace the plastic filter. What year is your machine? Dave
I have a 1973 Ford 4500 with a two stick conversion on the hoe
Hey shopteacher, how did you do that two stick conversion? Does it work well?