Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My first backhoe :D

FarmerAlex · 2010-11-04 06:13

HI there all, i'm starting out in earthmoving and many recommendations by people were to own/operate a Front end loader/backhoe. Now i've been having a look at a few forums and it seems the Case machinery has a good name. The price range i will be looking in is say the mid 20k range. some machines i have seen advertised are: New Holland 95 FWD Cat 428 B FWD Cat 428 Series || FWD Case 580 K 2WD Case 580 SK turbo JCB 3X Case 780 C They are all a similar price, just wondering which one people would jump for??? I know FWD is a huge advantage in tractors, is it so with backhoes too?? I anticipate at least of getting another 7k hours out of the machine so parts will be required at some point. Hopefully this will be useful to others starting out as well thanks for you time cheers Alex

Replies11
  1. #1Anto Modded2010-11-04 11:28

    In those older models the cat 428 series 2 and the case would have a bouncey back actor. the jcb is ok but for me it would be the Cat 428B, Then the NewHolland if it was 97/98 on. If not the JCB would take second

  2. #2Rally_Action2010-11-04 18:30

    For me JCB 3CX was the go. Parts are easy to get and you can buy a lot out of the UK or non genuine if you need them. You definitely need 4WD if you are going to be doing earth moving as opposed to a farm machine. For $20K I got 4WD, A/C, side shift, 4 in 1 front bucket, self levelling and extend a hoe. All invaluable items for different jobs. Out here in Oz the A/C is welcome comfort in the heat too. Like any used machine, it will depend on how well the previous owners have looked after it. Karl

  3. #3rabbit2010-11-04 18:55

    Sounds like you got a deal. Here in the states JCB is a little farther down the list of must haves. I had a 1400B 4X4. Kept having problems with the front bucket rams bending. :usa

  4. #4Phil2010-11-04 20:28

    Generally the most popular make and model is the one you want. It will usually have the best resale value, used or new aftermarket parts availability, and dealer support. Here the older Case models have many aftermarket parts available for them, making them the best choice, I feel. I think for that money you want a 4 wheel drive whether you need it or not. As the years slip by your 2 wheel drive machine will be less and less desirable for resale to the public, as the 4x4 machines start to get more numerous and affordable. Depreciation is also a consideration, in that price range, so getting the newest for the least, is generally a good idea. Some models have more than their fair share of problems after a major design change e.g. the 580E compared to the 580K , so ask lots of questions. The most popular machine may not be the best machine, but it's usually the best all around choice. Phil

  5. #5yv1650c2010-11-05 11:07

    Remember outside the US theres a big market on JCB backhoes. They're the backhoe creators. Bestselling machines over India, Europe, UK, etc.. They're now making backhoes and others in the States...

  6. #6rabbit2010-11-05 12:35

    Yes, I know. I'm sorry I had so many problems with the one I had.. A friend here has one and he leases a new one every three years. I just had bad luck with it. :usa

  7. #7yv1650c2010-11-05 12:40

    I have a question! does your friend make the lease contract every 3yrs for the machine quality (dont least more than this time) or by any other reason?

  8. #8rabbit2010-11-05 13:56

    Good question, I'll have to ask him sometime. I know that he likes to have nice equipment and its just he and his brother working. So maybe they don't want to worry about breakdowns.. :usa

  9. #9JCBgm2010-11-05 14:24

    IF you have steady/consistant business a 3 year lease would be the BEST way to go. Do a FMV lease on 36 months and have the dealer provide a 36 month full machine warranty. ALL of your costs are FIXED, you have the tax advantages of a lease, and none of the costs associated with maintaining an aging machine. The construction market WILL get there. It already done with over-the-road trucks as well as forklifts.

  10. #10ClassicJCB2011-10-25 19:04

    JCB 3CX would be my choice if i had the £££££

  11. #11case 580sm2011-10-26 18:24

    Case Go Case never had the problem with them. They are best for parts, service, sales, and quality,and most of all resale price. I've had 4 backhoes in my family generation so I know. This ain't my first rodeo. have fun, Oz 06, 580 pilots