Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580CK battery [s]

s1120 ยท 2010-11-03 12:24

OK... so Im working on my early 580CK [68] Checking the Case parts brakedown shows my tractor should have one 12vt battery, but the battery box on mine is setup for the two 6vt batttery. First off I am close to the start of the SN brake... and 2nd does it matter what I go with?? Should I pop in one 12vt, or the two 6vt?

Replies5
  1. #1heavylift2010-11-03 13:39

    I would go with the 12 volt... maybe even two ...more starting power... unless this is a 6 volt machine... that part I don't know..

  2. #2s11202010-11-03 14:32

    Nope, it is a 12vt system. She's also a REAL easy starter!!! One turn and shes running. I never thoguht of two 12vt batterys... two smaller 12vt batterys would have more then enough reserve!

  3. #3Tinkerer2010-11-03 22:34

    Be careful if you replace two 6 volt batteries with two 12 volt batteries. You could end up with 24 volts. Your present hookup is evidently in series. That is how you get 12 volts from two 6 volt batteries. Two 12 volt batteries in series will give you 24 volts. NOT A GOOD THING for a 12 volt system !

  4. #4s11202010-11-04 06:10

    Yes, thanks. I do know to wire them diferent but thanks for adding that. Some that read this might not. I think Im going with just one 12vt for now and see how it goes this winter. Thanks for the info.

  5. #5s11202010-11-04 11:12

    Does anyone know what group number 12vt battery was used in the later 580ck's?