My first cat, rebuilt the tranny, torque, motor and totally rebuilt the cross shaft this past winter.... now she is all new again with a fresh paint job, done this past weekend.... I used to call her "Elvira" after the Oak ridge boys song haha. Thinking of changing her name now to "Orange peel" or "Runs" lol.... but no it looks pretty good I thought, the boys did a nice job!
:thumbsup
your d8k looks great I love to look at all your pictures my dad and i bought one in 1995 that went thru the cat certified rebuild in 1990 it has a semi blade and kelly ripper its like new i wish i could find a reasonable priced angle blade like yours so i could work it with the pipeliners down here in Illinois on the rockey express 42" how do you like having the angle blade set up
That sure is a pretty kitty... nice work
Yeah, beautiful machine.
great looking 8K
One of these days I'm gonna hafta make nice to someone who ones one of those older 7/8/9s and get on the seat. Just to say that I have run one, not only are they a fantastic looking machine but as of now i can only imagine what it's like to be at the controls of something like that. Anybody want to let me try(I'll let you have my wife's firstborn )
i like the angle blade set up, its just more versatile than a semi u blade. for the type of work we do it works great.
I think you and I could get along pretty well my friend lol. I love running the older 8's, open cab on a nice summer morning or evening when theres no wind, pack of fresh smokes.... thermos of coffee..... awww yes and the bark of a straight piped D342... gotta love it! I spend many hours on an old D9G, those are even more sentimental to run, but they are too heavy to move around for us, so I don't own one..... yet!
Looks good Catskinner, that's alot of expensive work to do all at once. Paint is the cheap part and at least you can stand back see it. Nice work
i put the corporate logo on the front near the rad because i want to save the tank protector plates for my company decals..... not alot of room on that old cat for decals. waiting for the D8K portion of the decal, the dealership didn't have them...... i am also getting a couple decals custom made for the rad and the back end... the old school decal from like the 30's, pimp my ride! lol
Not an inexpensive venture I'm sure but thats gotta have a huge feelin of pride, nice job..........:notworthy
Maybe you should quit smoking, it will give you cancer! uups, i forgot, so does diesel smoke, oil, the cell phone, probabbly the clothes you wear and everything else... at least be carefull to not burn that nice cat when smoking do you have any clue how much that overhaul cost you? i have been thinking about doing the same with my D6C! about the angleblade tilt, does it only tilt to one side? the tilt cylinder looks like it does only tilt down the right corner?
Quit smoking? hahaha right. I know i should someday. I can tell you excautly what the overhaul cost. I bought all the parts, and rebuilt probably 95 percent of it myself, had to get some machining done on the block and machining done on the clutching housings in the transmission. Engine - 23,000 Trans - 22,000 torq - 8,500 cross shaft (includes new cat bevel gear) 14,000. paint job - 200 hahaha now these numbers are all in canadian funds, which is about the same as US at the moment. Remember that is just parts, no labour included in that bill, I spend days apoun days apoun days in my shop last winter working on it. you took that thing to caterpillar and said here do this, i would think your likely looking at well over 100,000 worth of work.
Did you take pics before, during, and after? Wow, thats alot of money you have into that machine, I hope I don't have simular bills for the engine on my jd 450c...
Now you won't want to run it, and scratch the paint. Looks good, what sn range?
I think it's the opposite, I don't think you could winch the smile of his face Big dozers, big bucks, but looks what he's got a veritable new machine that he knows how it went together, lots say better than new machines today.........at least if theres problems you know where the mechanic lives on comebacks......LOL
hahaha...he knows where he lives. Hey keep that s.o.b's phone number!!!
Great Job!
man i tell ya i'm green with envy. need to remember the HEO commandments #3 thou shal not covet they neighbors dozer... no matter how pretty she is.
got to post 3 times to ask a question? finding some good info while searching threads
how does one go about cleaning the grease off the machine to begin painting?
I would love to run that machine man I love old cats
A real good soap and hot water
That is a beautiful rig. There is nothing like that around here. For those of us uninitiated, compared to a current machine, what kinda pushing power does it have? 7? 6? 8?
Well, I can't comment on how they compare, but I have run an 8K and can say it's one of the most fun dozers I've been on. They have a motor that has a sound like "go ahead...make my day". Argueably one of the baddest sounding motors out there.
D8k Bought a D8K,s/n 77v18047 with semi-u blade at the Ritchie Bros. sale in Bolton this past June. There were 20 of these machines on the block,in various states of condition.The one we got was the newest,around 1982,83 in year of the lot.Decent shape and will see about 300 to 500 hours of operating per year.Mainly dump sites and some bulk stripping in our pit.Took it in the shop and completely serviced it and set the valves on the engine.Cut all the filters open,no cuttings or chunks of bearing etc. to be seen.Final drives don't seem to leak.There was even DCA in the coolant.So far,so good. Never been around a dozer of this size for any length of time previously so was quite surprised how much it could get through in a day.Have a D6R with a six way blade that I was using for comparison,it's good but the D8 will bury it especially in tough pushing. All those D8K's sold as fast as they went over the auction block,alot of interest in them.Must speak volumes of this legendary machine. Dominion:canada
There's your answer. Tell me it ain't fun operating that beast. Sounds like you came across a gem.