Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My Former Employers Liquidation Sale

alan627b ยท 2010-05-14 00:25

http://www.hunyady.com/auctions/pdf/R&D Espanol Half Color.pdf http://www.hunyady.com/auctions/auchome.html Anybody need a 627B? Buyer beware.... Alan627b

Replies30
  1. #1Kman90902010-05-16 11:47

    looks like alot of worn out junk to be honest.

  2. #2heavylift2010-05-16 12:15

    I'm really surprised that they didn't get a paint overhaul... That's usually the norm for big equipment auctions... Personally if the machine isn't worth a gallon or two of paint for show.... it's either junk the auctioneer doesn't know equipment and the bank just wants pennies on the dollar... or it's sticking it to the previous owner

  3. #3alan627b2010-05-17 00:50

    It's a creditor forced sale (they owe EVERYBODY) this stuff didn't get repainted even when it got overhauled. And they sure can't afford it now. I don't think anyone in 100 mile radius would be fooled anyhow. There is some good stuff here, but a lot of it is worn out very used equipment. I'd hate to guess the frame hours on a lot of this stuff. They bought several scrapers for parts over the years that got put to work instead, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran better than the fleet units in some cases! "Hey, it got off the truck on it's own, let's put it to work!"

  4. #4alan627b2010-05-17 00:53

    I never saw so many of the 627's with working bales in one place at one time before, if that tells you something... even if you worked for a boss that let you push pull, finding two operators or two machines who could do it was a rare thing. Still wonder why they went broke?:beatsme Tip of the iceberg....

  5. #5bigrus2010-05-17 08:25

    Sad to see such a big fleet being sold off due to financial troubles The equipment could possibly go to developing countries, like old military equipment invariably ends up

  6. #6alan627b2010-05-17 22:12

    Rus, I'm guessing what doesn't get sold and used here in the US is headed to underveloped countries...either Mexico or China.

  7. #7Cat Wrench2010-05-19 01:07

    Wow, 35 627B's? Man I thought I had some scrapper experience, I bet his mechanics stayed busy. I have completely rebuilt several 627B's and I bet most people would be shocked if they really knew how many actual frame hours are on most of them. I bet those machines don't bring $20-30K each. 3 years ago they could have fetched $70-80K.

  8. #8rino14942010-05-19 05:40

    I got that flyer and I was like, holy crap. I didn't know that you worked there. We go to almost all of Hunyady auctions and let me tell you, Mike (owner) really brings the money. Everyone knows that he runs a clean auction and there is no b.s. I'll lay money that the exporters will buy them up and ship them out.

  9. #9alan627b2010-05-19 21:17

    As many scrapers as they have now, they used to be bigger! I think at their peak, they owned 50 627 A and B models. They owned 6 627E's, but got rid of them when the warranties ran out, and because the F's had come out, the price had risen on used E's so high they made money on all of them. So I was told, anyway. The B's are the last of the "simple" 627's and the newer they got, the more expensive they were to maintain. It's going to be an intersting auction, I think. I'll bet they lose their shirts on the 631D's..no market in Nebraska for stuff like this, and the dirt here doesn't hold them up that well. They really never had enough facilities to maintain as large a fleet as they had, but our mechanics were good and did as best they could at trying to keep up with it all. No surprise, all the iron they own won't fit into their own yard! Alan627b

  10. #10bigrus2010-05-21 03:53

    They'll get exported for sure

  11. #11alan627b2010-05-22 01:47

    Over the Ocean I hope not for your sake Russ...I didn't have to run these very often (Thank God) but to me they were a heavy steering lumber wagon, with high effort controls. If the bowl lever is 2 1/2 feet long, there has to be a reason! Some of the old hands have told me the D was a step backward from the C series. I'll take a 627 any day... Alan

  12. #12bigrus2010-05-22 05:06

    I'll leave those open bowlers for the younger generation, prefer the elevator type

  13. #13alan627b2010-05-22 21:54

    I don't mind open bowls, I just hate singles...the lack of a rear engine and tranny seem to make them ride like crap...and all you can do is hog dirt with them. I like the ability to get up on a slope if I feel the need to, and the ability to self load, and all wheel drive. Alan

  14. #14RKO2010-05-30 02:22

    Alan I stopped today and looked at all the interesting equipment. The scrapers, dozers, track loaders and excavators are in a lot just south of Epply Air Field. In Carter Lake Iowa The rest of the equipment is still at their lot. The scrapers don't look as bad as the dozers, track loaders and excavators. The excavators are just junk. So are the track loaders maybe the 953C can be saved. The only dozer very good is the one D9H the other is bad, I don't know who a D8K could run in that shape . Even the newer D5, D4 and D3 Dozers are in need of major help. They have just been plain abused, along with the excavators. I was interested in a couple 627's to convert to pull type scrapers. The bowls are not that bad on most. The guy I talked to said the creditors just want the stuff sold with as little expense. Most of the equipment in in about the shape I thought. Used hard, abused and put away broken. Are you working some place. Lots going on around right now.

  15. #15alan627b2010-06-01 00:14

    RKO, I'd say you made a pretty accurate assessment. All the little dozers wound up doing all dozer duty since they sold off all the D6C/D's years ago. Of course, they were pretty beat too. So the 4's and 5's did production work sometimes that they weren't designed to do. That D8K you are talking about sat out back rusting for 4 or 5 years after the engine was shelled, until they needed a big dozer so bad they yanked it out of the back lot. It should have been cut up long ago, but it has one redeeming feature....the shop couldn't rebuild an engine fast enough for it when they needed it, so a reman Cat engine was installed..about $30K worth in a Cat worth way less than that. I think after the quarry stripping job it did, it wound up being the dump dozer over by Ameristar casino. The D8H it replaced was even worse, I ran it with a totally shot undercarriage in the middle of winter, pushing building debris. I remember when it used to be a good dozer too.... The D9H's...one was good with good power, the other used to be good, but was in poor shape last time I saw it. There is a late D9G pushcat, it was good but had an engine going south...they ran it anyway until somebody blew it up and put a grapefruit sized hole in the side of the block. From needing an overhaul/rebuild to scrap iron.... I'm sure the excavators are pretty much junk...they got used to pieces for jobs of all descriptions, they got really torn up on clearing jobs. About 4 years ago Negus traded in about 10 pieces of equipment to Cat in trade for the newest 953C, the 928F, and a low hour 325...which somebody promptly tore the door off of the first week they had it. Even when they got decent stuff, it got torn up. And none of this stuff ever had the same operator for long, no wonder it all got run down. Operated like it was rented.... And on and on and on... I'm trying to find work, and I'm about broke. Know of anyone hiring? Union or not, as the hall has no work for us. I really don't want to go back to the old days of packing boxes for a living, but I might have to. I can't afford to go halfway across the country to find work either. The economy is improving....yeah, right! Alan

  16. #16bigrus2010-06-01 09:25

    Not much better in the lucky country

  17. #17alan627b2010-06-02 00:22

    I have read that both north and south Dakota have more jobs because of the oil boom than people to do them, but you have to bring your own home since they also have a severe housing shortage. I can't afford to go out and buy a trailer either. I was looking at some of the scraper jobs out west in the mines...Utah is a long haul, I'm not going that far to work for $11 per hour, it would wind up losing me money. Catch-22. I sure hope something comes along soon, is all I can say. I hear what you are saying, Rus. You add a little water to topsoil and Whoo-eeee! What a a party....throw a little grass in it and it's slicker than snot. Hope for your sake you won't have to quit the business after all this time...sounds like we're facing the same future.:beatsme Alan

  18. #18RKO2010-06-12 20:00

    Job Sorry you are having a hard time finding a job. The union is just about done for in Omaha so That is out. Unless you can do finish work most contractors don't want to hire you. Scraper operators are every where unemployed in this area. Most contractors have hired what they need for the season. Hawkins is hiring but unless you kiss but and don't mind being laid off in the winter and getting lied to, that is about all that is hiring. Turn over is high. Everything we are doing is industrial mostly and there is not a lot of dirt moved on those jobs. Dirt moving large scale is dieing. Cost to much to move dirt like it use to be done. I was going to call you some day and meet up with you in Omaha. Ron Good luck

  19. #19alan627b2010-06-15 17:09

    Well, RKO, I got a job....I'll be working for a company running an off road truck in Grand Island for 6 months. Cleaning up the Cornhusker Army Ammunition Plant (CHAAP). Not as good a money as I made in Omaha, but we know what the situation is like around these parts. At least I'll be running equipment instead of doing some sh*t job somwhere. That wil take me to winter when it becomes time to hide in the house. I can get some seasonal job then or maybe something will turn up in one of the warmer states. I'm just glad to have gotten a job before the unemployment ran out! 40 hour weeks, 4 days a week, home for a 3 day weekend. I can deal with that. Alan

  20. #20Dozerboy2010-06-16 16:39

    Wow I didn't know if anything could put the last nail in there coffin. I would of liked to see that 825 of theres I ran and froze my ass off on gotten sent to the scrap pile. Glad to hear you found something to hold you over. My best friend in NE has been traveling for over a year now. His wife had a break down being a "single" parent. They bought an RV and travel with him now. I'm not far from doing some traveling myself, but it would be hell on my wife and I.

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2010-06-16 20:48

    Congratulations Alan. We all know what a blow it is to go from a scraper to an artic, but at least its a seat. Hang in there for the better times to come back.

  22. #22alan627b2010-06-19 22:06

    Updated sale bill with (rust) color pictures... http://www.hunyady.com/auctions/pdf/NEGUS-8PGweb.pdf

  23. #23alan627b2010-07-06 17:35

    Bargain Prices? Hunyady posted the auction results for the Negus and Sons auction....the 627's sold for a fair price considering the shape they were in, but my God did they take a beating on their 631D's! Highest price...$9,500.00 for working units. Ouch! http://www.hunyady.com/auctions/07results/07_02_10.html I missed the auction but I went down the Friday before and took a ton of pics, I'll have the link to the Photobucket album next weekend, I gotta head west to go back to work. Stay tuned.. Alan

  24. #24CM19952010-07-06 19:31

    Your former employer didn't take a beating their Creditors did..:cool2

  25. #25Dozerboy2010-07-06 21:04

    Damn not even $10K.... could part them out for that much easy. Give us the low down on your new job and lets see some pics too.

  26. #26alan627b2010-07-11 17:09

    Here's the link to my Photobucket album, with pics of the auction, and also some taken at my new job. Ran out of time to add comments like I'd planned, but I will do so when I get back home next weekend. Alan http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/alan627b/Work Pix and Negus Auction/ All my albums... http://s786.photobucket.com/home/alan627b/allalbums

  27. #27shaperdave2010-07-16 17:45

    Hay alan thanks For the negus pics.If Grag had cut the weeds they mit have found cal's boat or some 632s.

  28. #28Dozerboy2010-07-18 17:32

    Those HM300 are nice trucks we had one where I use to work. We use to make fun about in having power windows but none of our company trucks did.

  29. #29shaperdave2010-07-18 17:56

    :usa

  30. #30alan627b2010-07-18 17:59

    The 632's went to Texas long before I worked there....I heard they regretted selling them almost immediately. I think the engines got yanked out of Cal's boat, they were both Cat's.....3306's I think. Probably in one of the 627's now...I think I have some pics on CD before they cleaned the back yard up and scrapped a bunch of stuff. I'll try to get them here next weekend. They had a IH TD25C that had been back there since before 1992 when I was hired, that got scrapped finally last year. They couldn't even manage their junk properly...or maybe there was a loan against it! Back to work in Grand Island, back next weekend. Alan627b