I thought I would create a new thread to introduce myself and show a few of my projects. I have a CNC machine shop here in the Peoria, IL area. We make general job shop stuff. I worked at a truck mechanic when I was in college and my dad also has a small machine shop where he does a lot of repairs to ag and construction equipment. My latest project was this Bobcat 825. I bought it was a thrown rod and hole in the side of the block. It's a Perkins 4.108 diesel. It was knocking so he took it to the local Bobcat dealer. Some genius there told him it was probably a sticking injector and he should just put some ATF in the fuel tank (I've never heard of this actually working, but that's beside the point). Anyway, suffice it to say, it was not a stuck injector. My conclusion is that the oil was diluted with diesel from a combination of a leaking diaphragm in the lift pump and a leaking front seal in the injection pump. When I drained the oil it was about 1/2 diesel. That also tells me that the owner never checked the oil. With the fuel diluting the oil, it was just a matter of time until something bad happened. I welded the hole in the block. I had the crank welded and ground. Then did a full overhaul with new liners (dry) and complete valve and head job. Had the injectors rebuild and I resealed the CAV injection pump. Now she runs like a top. The pivot at the bottom of the bucket was egged out. I bought new bushings, but the holes were way oversize. Line boring was the only way to fix it. I have a shop full of CNC machines, so I figured I could whip up my own line boring rig... It turned into quite a project, but the results were fantastic.
I don't know how to edit my post, so here are some pictures:
Here's the line boring rig I built:
Some more:
Here is my next project. Case 580B backhoe. Something is wrong with the converter and it has very little push and won't even move when it gets warm.
Looks like you will be able to get alot of good tips from Xpac on this repair.......He is doing a very detailed job showing the steps he did in his rebuild....you will probably find it pretty useful as you get into the 580B.
Nice work Wes J It is good to see people who actually fix things instead of just change out parts.
The motor in the Bobcat was a donor from a reefer unit, and had been remaned at least once and possibly twice before (mains were already -.020). So, who knows the many stories it could tell. The good thing about the reefer unit is that it has glow plugs, so it actually starts. Those precombustion motors are so cold blooded and the goofy thermo-start thing barely works. I'm sure they would have parted it out if I had not bought it. Not much future for a 35 year old skid steer with the #3 rod hanging out the side of the block... The Hydros were good, so I lucked out there.
Wes that was a "lucky break" on that Perkins, punched the hole in just about the perfect spot! That line bore kit you built looks great, must be nice to have a shop full of CNC machines! Just would have to think about the money you have in them.
I was marvelling at that? What are the odds a rod would miss the oil galley and the pan gasket surface?
The rod whacked the side of the block and the weakest part broke (not counting the rod which looked like a pretzel). I looked it over good before I bought it. If the rod was thrown the other way and hit the cam, who knows what might have happened. There was some significant damage to the stamped metal oil pan. I had to weld that up as well. The bottom of the liner was also damaged, but I was replacing those anyway. Honestly, after welding the hole and replacing the rod, I don't think there is any functional difference from a virgin block. I TIGed it with nickel rod and I don't think anything warped or cracked. I plasti-gaged all the bearings when I put it together and clearances were right on.
Wes J, the workmanship on the engine and the line boring is top notch. Do you run the CNC shop yourself or do you have a crew working for you?
I have a setup/operator guy. So I mostly do programming and boring business running crap and my guys sets up the machines and runs the parts. However, work is really slow here right now, the worst I have seen it since 2008. I may be headed back to a one man band or getting out of manufacturing completely. I run older equipment (1996 is my newest CNC), so they aren't worth a whole lot. But, I can fix them myself and keep them running, so they work fine for me. It's just like any other equipment. Older stuff is cheaper, but it's much slower and you can expect to be working on it a lot more.
Well the only machine tool I have, other than drill press and little band saw, is a lathe, talk about old it is run off a flat leather belt! Have to take light cuts or the belt slips but it's just something to play with at home. There is a pretty nice Sheldon Lathe at the shop where I retired back in April, probably a 1950's vintage. Sad thing is no one who works there now has the first idea of how to run it and last I knew the overhead door a few feet away has panels held in with duct tape. If it was up to the boss at the quarry he would let me have it for free but if his boss knew about it he would want a few thousand dollars for it. So it will end up rusted to junk just one mile from my garage!
Me and my cousin bought a CNC plasma table. It takes 4x8 sheets. We bought a pretty big plasma cutter which is supposed to cut 2" steel. The most we have done so far is 1" and it worked pretty good for that. This unit was a kit so we had to put it together ourselves and it was a steep learning curve but we figured it out. I imagine you have like CNC mills and lathes and maybe a break?
I have 2 vertical machining centers (mills). One is a Haas VF-3 and the other is a big beast Tree VMC1260 with a 50 taper spindle. I also have a Mori Seiki SL-20 turning center, automatic band saw, engine lathe, manual mill, drill press, surface grinder, and MIG and TIG welders.
You can color me jealous
This is great! I feel much better about myself knowing that I am not the only "tool-a-holic" out there. Now if I can just convince my wife of this!:drinkup Regards, Bob
I love the old machine tools. It's amazing what you can make or fix with 50 year old machines. I have a old Bridgeport,10"and 16" south bend and a 21" swing lodge & shiply. Nice work on your bore bar
That case backhoe may have a sticking shuttle/ declutch valve. I dont know personally about them but my best friend fixed one with the exact symptoms in about 1 hour. Beautiful boring rig, I could use a prototype on the west coast.LOL Although Climax is literally less than a mile from our shop.
We're guessing that the pickup tube circuit is blocked inside the transmission. Apparently it's a common problem.