Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My JD 510D Backhoe/Loader

Chris Manzi ยท 2021-09-28 15:50

I have a 1992 510D and I am unfamiliar with John Deere heavy equipment in general. I don't have a manual and it is a used machine. I dont know where to read the hydraulic fluid level for the tank if it even has one. JD tractors that I am familiar with the t ank is the transmission/transaxles but that is not to say this isn't the same. I just recently visited my local dealer and he directed me to a small door at the top of my hood at the windsield and said the fill hole is there and along side that is the looking glass/level glass. I cannot locate what he described. I also have a door below that that has two filler holes with dipsticks, one above the other, he said one was for the reverser and one for the transmission. all take Hy-Gard fluid. I don't want to take chances running this machine low on fluids so I am hip checking his advice. I cant find info anywhere else on this model and year so this is why I am here. I believe the two fill spouts are all I have to deal with but again, it is not worth chancing putting wrong fluids in the wrong oriface. Can some one help, maybe a pic or diagram?? Thanks all

Replies8
  1. #1JL Sargent2021-09-28 18:26

    Hy-Gard is what you use on that machine except for the coolant and motor oil. If I were you I would pick up the operator's manual at least. I also buy the service and test manuals for any tractor/backhoes I buy. I see those things on Ebay regularly. The search function here holds a wealth of knowledge. The JD 310D might be close enough to yours to help you with some questions.

  2. #2Willie B2021-09-28 20:52

    I had 1991 410C. Two dipsticks were located at small door just forward of right side glass. I used Hy Tran I bought from my Case dealer. Hydraulic filter on mine was beneath the operator's seat in a near impossible location.

  3. #3mg23612021-09-29 05:02

    Welcome to HEF Chris ! What is your serial number? There is a serial number break that determines whether you have a transaxle/hydraulic system or a separate hydraulic reservoir.

  4. #4Chris Manzi2021-09-29 11:35

    Thanks MG, I will look as soon as I get out to the machine and get back with that.

  5. #5Chris Manzi2021-09-29 11:37

    Thank you for your information. I purchased downloadable manuals from a manual site and they sent me the wrong ones, different older model.. I am sure I can resolve the issue somehow.

  6. #6Chris Manzi2021-09-29 11:39

    Thanks Willie B! Top stick for the hydraulic reservoir and pump or is it a transaxle sytem?? Bottom for Reverser?

  7. #7Chris Manzi2021-09-29 11:55

    One more question, do you fill while it is running and up to temp? I know you check the levels running but not sure if the fill running makes a difference.

  8. #8Willie B2021-09-29 14:07

    I just sold it. I passed the manual to the new owner. Don't remember which is which. Both use the same oil.