Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My job pictures

Carolina start up · 2020-08-15 17:31

I’ll start with a fun one my nice new truck with 30 day tags on. With that lovely new dent

Replies70
  1. #1Carolina start up2020-08-15 19:54

    More of the truck

  2. #2CM19952020-08-15 20:16

    Damn that sucks CSU. However that is a nice clean 250. What year?

  3. #3hosspuller2020-08-15 20:18

    Avoid the soft ground ... stay on the gravel... or the dents will be muddy.

  4. #4Carolina start up2020-08-15 20:22

    2016

  5. #5Carolina start up2020-08-15 20:24

    well her whole yard is a mess she tells me just do a youturn well as you see what happened she needs someone to regrade her yard shes got a hill and her house is at the bottom and it pools water at the foundation of her house and her yard is a wet mess.

  6. #6Carolina start up2020-08-16 19:58

    Business advise form someone that was not happy I could not give that a exact time for there estimate because I dint know what time I’d even be done today but hey

  7. #7petepilot2020-08-16 21:27

    you may have just met your first nit picker

  8. #8Carolina start up2020-08-16 21:43

    im sure if i would of actually went and done his yard i would of wished i ignored him because im sure he would want white glove service and me to wipe for him.

  9. #9petepilot2020-08-16 21:49
  10. #10Carolina start up2020-08-16 21:57

    me trying to be a professional is hard sometimes i swear

  11. #11AzIron2020-08-16 23:01

    Yea that's a nit picker the first 4 or 5 of them will stress you out after that you learn to laugh at them cause everyone is going to tell how to run your buissness

  12. #12Bumpsteer2020-08-17 00:19

    Had a job when I first started, spreading/leveling topsoil on a small newbuild yard. Quoted 4 hours (stupid me, learned to give a $ ammount, not time). After 3 1/2 hours the homeowner was up my ass every 5 minutes....are you going to finish on time? Sure, if you leave me the **** alone! Ed

  13. #13Carolina start up2020-08-17 08:23

    I reread that text about 5 times thinking who the hell does he think he talking to like sir you called me and took up my time but then I realized I’m a company and I can’t just tell him to shove up

  14. #14Carolina start up2020-08-17 08:24

    I don’t even tell extant times I just say about this time I’ll be there so when they ask I thought you said 1:30 and it’s 2 I just tell them I said about five or take 10-30 mins when ever I tell you about

  15. #15AzIron2020-08-17 08:53

    You can tell him to shove it it just may not be in tour best interest after a while you learn what questions to ask on the phone helps save a bunch of time on nit pickers Had one dispute the bill in his front yard as we bringing in the last load of material to clean up the driveway I wouldn't let the truck dump till I got paid in cash

  16. #16Carolina start up2020-08-17 12:46

    That’s really the only person I’ve had that was like that I mean I’ve had a few ask me to do work with out ever looking and I told them I have to see before I even go but beyond that the normal

  17. #17_Weldman_2020-08-18 10:37

    Needed a flatbed on that beauty of a truck anyways, would make life easier.

  18. #18John C.2020-08-18 11:03

    I had a dent like that in one of my pickups before. Jack knifed the trailer a little too hard while my attention was diverted somewhere else. It became a reminder of situational awareness forever more.

  19. #19CM19952020-08-18 18:42

    I agreed and a nice Northstar or CM flatbed would be cheaper than a take-off bed or repairing that side. Back in 2015 had a BFG rear tire on the drivers side delaminate on the HWY running about 70 which basically beat the hell out of the bed of the truck on that side. All said and done it was right at $6k (insurance paid body shop) to re-skin the side, re-build the bottom of the bed and other misc stuff. If I would've had the option I'd took the $6K and put a bed on it.

  20. #20Carolina start up2020-08-18 18:50

    i will take a look into a flatbed it be nice

  21. #21AzIron2020-08-18 20:18

    If you use your bed as a catch all flatbeds make you cleaner downside is when your in a pinch you dont have random crap to pick from in your pickup

  22. #22dieseldog5.92020-08-19 09:46

    I had a buddy who bought a new motorcycle helmet and walking out of the Harley store promply dropped it on the ground intentionally, said " got that out of the way dont have to worry about the first scratch now" I would run it! its a work truck, next scratch wont hurt hardly as bad.

  23. #23Carolina start up2020-08-19 15:40

    thats what my friend told me said if it gets paid off with a scratch is it really a work truck

  24. #24Carolina start up2020-08-22 21:13

    Fun times

  25. #25Carolina start up2020-08-22 21:18

    Should of just went into dirt work

  26. #26Carolina start up2020-08-22 21:22

    Grass is quick they said

  27. #27AzIron2020-08-22 23:41

    Dirt work is great till it's not and dirt work is one and done I think your risk in grass is slim compared to dirt work I doubt lawn care jobs keep you up at night trying to figure out the next piece of the puzzle on a job From what I see grass and lawn care have pretty good margins and it can be really consistent it's a really good way to build a buissness

  28. #28Carolina start up2020-08-23 08:02

    Your right but I’m change my name to overgrown property company since that’s all I get is these yards that are knee high

  29. #29John C.2020-08-23 10:35

    That grass look high enough to use a sickle bar. Did you ever think of bailing the cuttings? Might be enough there for a marshmallow even.

  30. #30Carolina start up2020-08-23 10:56

    If I start bailing the grass there better be a buyer because this is a constant issue right now my special is overgrown yards that others don’t wanna do

  31. #31CM19952020-08-23 13:52

    Then charge accordingly.

  32. #32kshansen2020-08-23 15:26

    I hope that yard has better drainage than it looks like. Seems every time it rains it would flood the house! But then that's not your problem just mow the grass and let them worry about it.

  33. #33Carolina start up2020-08-23 17:17

    there is a drain in front of the house actually

  34. #34Carolina start up2020-08-23 17:18

    trust me i do

  35. #35Carolina start up2020-08-24 20:22

    might have my first dirt job if my bid goes well even though its just spreading two tandem loads of dirt

  36. #36Welder Dave2020-08-26 01:36

    A little expensive but if you have a tractor a flail mower like an Alamo is the cats meow for tall grass.

  37. #37Carolina start up2020-08-30 19:33

    welp i made double this month then last month so im growing in the right direction and that is the only update i got

  38. #38CM19952020-08-30 20:36

    Good job CSU!

  39. #39Carolina start up2020-09-01 16:49

    new update i picked up my first commercial account

  40. #40Vetech632020-09-01 17:54

    It’s time to celebrate this milestone with an epic machinery repair thread!!!

  41. #41Carolina start up2020-09-01 18:10

    no not yet the mower anit even got 50 hours yet the truck however has 150k miles

  42. #42Vetech632020-09-01 20:38
  43. #43AzIron2020-09-01 21:00

    Well then go buy a used mower that needs lots of repairs cause you need a tax write off

  44. #44Vetech632020-09-02 08:43

    LMAO!

  45. #45Carolina start up2020-09-02 18:54

    i might be needing a skid steer soon or a mini or maybe one of those kubota backhoes

  46. #46AzIron2020-09-02 20:46

    Think twice about a mini backhoe

  47. #47Carolina start up2020-09-03 17:28

    im really leaning towards a mini more then anything i like the tak machines

  48. #48Carolina start up2020-09-07 16:33

    update went and looked at a bush hogging job that some how the guy thought i could just do a list of things he wanted to me would be a high bill to build a mile long driveway build, building pad for a small building, do a clean up through the woods pulling stumps and cleaning up logging slash and bush hogging but no job for me on that one.

  49. #49CM19952020-09-07 17:23

    I want one of those mini Kubota's that you can also put a mower deck on for my farm - all 2 acres of hilly ravine that it is. Seriously I'd like one around the house just for the novelty.

  50. #50Carolina start up2020-09-07 17:32

    those are great for ditchs to makes life simple and hills

  51. #51Welder Dave2020-09-09 11:42

    Be very cautious when a customer wants a lot of work done but tries to make it sound like it's just a couple hour job. They aren't going to want to pay what it costs to get it all done.

  52. #52Carolina start up2020-09-09 15:53

    he wanted it done before hunting season which would be next week so

  53. #53hosspuller2020-09-09 17:22

    Carolina SU ... From experience... be very careful with bush hogging jobs. There's "Stuff" hiding in the tall grass. One torn tire, broken blade, etc. will cost you more than the job paid. I spent 2 hours cutting and unwinding barbed wire from my cutter. I saw it very soon after I snagged it. I thought it was a snake in the grass as it wound up. Luckily, it didn't take out the bottom oil seal.

  54. #54Tags2020-09-09 19:42

    I love customers....nothing makes me shudder more than hearing a customer say "It'll take you longer to unload the machine than to do the job..." that usually means it's an absolute **** show!!

  55. #55AzIron2020-09-09 21:08

    The only thing worse is when they say you better come look at this we are not sure how to lay this out

  56. #56Carolina start up2020-09-12 19:41

    well today it was a simple church jobs..... up till the part we found a baby copperhead well called the guy his words where " well its a baby it should not bite" " its weird how we are in the city and you found a snake in the grass". finished up the pastors wifes asking me would i be willing to crawl under the houses or church to look for the mama.... for 300 dollars and every snake i see add 100 dollars

  57. #57Carolina start up2020-09-12 19:55
  58. #58Carolina start up2020-09-12 22:09
  59. #59kenh2020-09-12 23:13

    Nope, do not want to be searching for snakes when you are at the same eye level with them. When I was a teen I met a Water Moccasin at eye level in the River. That is when I discovered I could walk on water too!

  60. #60_Weldman_2020-09-12 23:21

    Wonder how much the pastors wife would pay for this big snake I mean the one in the picture that is We might get to see kenh walk on air seeing this one.

  61. #61Carolina start up2020-09-13 06:30

    Big old nope from me

  62. #62Carolina start up2020-09-14 21:24
  63. #63Carolina start up2020-09-14 21:28
  64. #64Carolina start up2020-09-14 21:29
  65. #65Carolina start up2020-09-14 21:30

    A few minutes later I’d hit a stump not paying attention and put a dent in my truck. Dint even feel as bad this time

  66. #66Welder Dave2020-09-15 02:29

    Hey, you're living the dream!

  67. #67Carolina start up2020-09-15 18:38

    eh the last photo i thought would be a good fourth of july post next year

  68. #68mitch5042020-09-15 21:00

    You should look into maintaining foreclosed houses' yards. I have a friend in Horry County, SC (Myrtle Beach) who does well at that.

  69. #69Carolina start up2020-09-16 21:09

    Bad part is the house wasn’t foreclosed just left to grow

  70. #70Carolina start up2020-09-19 20:20