Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

my logging dio so far

HCF ยท 2010-11-13 17:45

:beatsme:beatsme I have recently gotten into 1:50 scale models and wanted to share my dio with ya. The link will take you to my 1/50 scale album. All pictures were taken on the dio. let me know what you think. Thanks. -HCF http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/416shooter/1-50 scale/

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies77
  1. #1HITACHI3502010-11-14 00:51

    thats so awsome

  2. #2HCF2010-11-14 02:19

    Thanks. I just ordered a Valmet feller buncher and will put some pics of it up on my photobucket album. I'm pretty excited to get it. I have seen pictures of it and hope it lives up to my expectations.

  3. #3HITACHI3502010-11-14 03:51

    o i just customized a 330d to a 330d fm

  4. #4HCF2010-11-14 04:06

    Nice. My dad owns a reforestation company and we are getting ready to buy either a 2054 Deere or a 320 Cat forestry road builder for piling brush. As you may assume I will have to customize a model so I can have one too. Haha. I just think that this model stuff is great. Some people can really make just about anything.

  5. #5HITACHI3502010-11-14 05:23

    the thing i love the most is the boom suport on your lowboy i want to do that but i got the t800w and i dont want to glue stuff to it yet

  6. #6HCF2010-11-14 10:20

    Yeah. I have had this lowboy for a couple months now and still am not sure if I'll regret gluing that on there. I think it will be fine. How do you like that sword truck? I heard that they're worth the money.

  7. #7HITACHI3502010-11-14 12:06

    i love it great detail i got it from dhs the were have it as a deal of the days for 150 so thats an offer i just couldnt refuse heres some pics of it in action this my website mine is the black t800w http://raccoon370customs.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=105247921

  8. #8HCF2010-11-14 14:40

    Yeah. That is a great deal for that set up. What undercarriage did you use for your 330 build? Is that a 2954 uc with an additional spacer under the circle?

  9. #9HITACHI3502010-11-14 17:59

    yes it is and i did use spacers

  10. #10HCF2010-11-14 20:10

    nice. where do you get all your parts? do you just buy the whole model and take it apart? I am in the process of trying to find one of those waratah dangle head processors off the 2954 deere models for a little bit of custom work im thinking about doing.

  11. #11HITACHI3502010-11-14 20:34

    o i truned my head it to a button top processor

  12. #12HCF2010-11-14 21:39

    Are there pics of it on your website? Sounds interesting. I'm thinking about taking a 2954 and turning it into a Madill. I think a Madill model would be epic. Have you ever seen any yarder models in 1:50?

  13. #13HITACHI3502010-11-14 22:00

    i have never seen one that would be cool a yarder so cool

  14. #14MOUNTAIN MAN2010-11-28 01:38

    I was also of thinking of changing my Deere into a Madill, you would only really need to change the cab roof and panels, everything else is decals and paint. :exactly :thumbsup :iagree

  15. #15HCF2010-11-28 01:52

    Yeah. The Madill machines were hyundais in the early years I think. I would have to go all out and build a newer square one. I'm working on a 5th wheel hayrack trailer. Pretty simple build. Just need to get the rest of the parts. I wish norscot would suck it up and make some of Caterpillars forestry machines.

  16. #16MOUNTAIN MAN2010-11-28 02:35

    They used to make Cat forest machines, they only make the skidder now. The old madill bunchers were Komatsu i think, not entirely sure. Go to the first link on my signature below to see my diorama on youtube. It's logging.

  17. #17HITACHI3502010-12-04 23:03

    no komatsu ownes timbco(feller) and velmet(posseser), madill's havent been made sence 2006 or something not sure i have to check that out

  18. #18HCF2010-12-04 23:56

    The last madill machine to leave the naniamo plant left in '08. The older shovels were on import carriers a lot like the old thunderbird log loaders and road builders. Madill is actually being purchased from Modern Machinery (they purchased madill after they went bankrupt) by Nicholson Mfg Ltd up on Vancouver island BC. it's all on the last page of the Madill thread. Contract Logger knows people on both sides of the deal. It's pretty sweet. If I'm not mistaken the last machine to leave the plant was a 2250 feller buncher. Like I said. Not for sure but it's all in the Madill thread.

  19. #19HCF2010-12-05 00:00

    Looks good. I think I have seen your videos before : ) I always enjoy stop motion videos. I don't have the patience for that stuff.

  20. #20MOUNTAIN MAN2010-12-05 00:01

    I was just going to say what HCF said! he beat me too it! But thats ok, thanks HCF!:drinkup

  21. #21MOUNTAIN MAN2010-12-05 00:08

    You must have, don't you have a youtube account also? :beatsme

  22. #22HITACHI3502010-12-05 00:46

    i know they went bankrupet but did know they got bought back i thought they were a dead compney but what do i know.

  23. #23HCF2010-12-05 01:26

    Here's a link to one of the earlier madill road builders. It's definitely not a madill carrier. The UC could be madill but I'm not sure. Looks a lot like a Hyundai carrier. http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/416shooter/f8db249c.jpg

  24. #24HITACHI3502010-12-05 01:38

    it looks like a komatsu with a hint of dason deawoo

  25. #25HCF2010-12-05 01:49

    Think my name on there is 416shooter but I just comment on videos. Haha.

  26. #26HITACHI3502010-12-05 21:34

    hey wartah head looks good on the loader

  27. #27HCF2010-12-05 22:17

    Thanks. I need to get down to the hobby shop and get some brass pins for it. Or run down to the hardware store and get some mini bolts so t will be easy to change back and forth. Ertl sure gets those suckers in there. Took me a while to get the stocker out.

  28. #28HCF2010-12-05 22:20

    I got my knowledge from Contract Logger. Check out posts 610 and 611. Interesting stuff.

  29. #29HITACHI3502010-12-05 22:47

    o i just pound them out o drill them

  30. #30MOUNTAIN MAN2010-12-12 23:50

    http://www.youtube.com/user/WesternStar4900SA?feature=mhum

  31. #31MOUNTAIN MAN2010-12-12 23:52

    Find my channels, the links are in my signature below, I am working on a logging dio now.

  32. #32HCF2011-01-01 16:54

    Hey guys. Got a little update on my stuff. I recently started a shorter cab riser for my 2954D processor. Here are some links to the pics. More to come. Let me know what you think. http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/416shooter/1-50 scale/c35319d8.jpg Here's a link to the whole album: http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac49/416shooter/1-50 scale/

  33. #33MOUNTAIN MAN2011-01-23 23:49

    I took a look, or rather a few looks lol, looks great :drinkup I'm buying the same Pete that you have, but in Red/White colours, i plan it to be a logging type truck too!

  34. #34Usernametaken2011-01-24 00:37

    neat forum. I'll have to read up tomorrow !

  35. #35Lightning LA2011-01-24 03:38

    I've been thinking about starting a Logging Dio,I've pretty much found all the Equipment I'll need.But I wanted to ask you guys if there is a 1.50 scale Yarder,or does anyone have a custom one?

  36. #36MOUNTAIN MAN2011-01-24 12:55

    No there aren't any 1:50th scale yarders, no custom's that i know of either. I have wanted a yarder in our scale for so long, but nobody makes a log truck (Except for about 250 custom ones made by Titan, more info on those if you want), or a decent juicer, what i want made is a log truck, but I could make a trailer if i needed too, which i probably will. I've seen lego yarders, they actually look decent, I might make one out of lego actually. Thanks for the post!

  37. #37MOUNTAIN MAN2011-01-24 12:57

    Well welcome to HEF, go to the Forestry equipment part of this forum (I'm sure you already have ) and theres a lot more! Thanks for the post, keep it up!

  38. #38MOUNTAIN MAN2011-01-24 13:00

    Hey HCF, have you got any CANFOR today logging pictures? I started a new thread just for that and I've posted a couple, I'll post more once more people post on it, so please put a couple pics if you have any

  39. #39HCF2011-01-24 22:29

    I actually don't. Sorry to disappoint. I'm actually looking for a cheap truck or trailer model on eBay to take the axles out of to finish my hayrack trailer. Do you have any pictures of the Titan models? I might try to find a couple this summer. That's really all I'm missing on my dio. Here's a couple short stopmotions I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL-ILxENKjM&feature=youtube_gdata_player One of the 330DL road builder I'm working on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rDT7yXQ44&feature=youtube_gdata_player Not the best stop motions but the first I have ever tried to make.

  40. #40MOUNTAIN MAN2011-02-01 22:13

    Awesome! I'll sub you next time I'm on my channel!

  41. #41HCF2011-02-10 23:40

    Thanks!

  42. #42MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-10 18:13

    Here's my latest logging dio. It's a miniature Ax Men thing, I'll be receiving a long pole trailer later next week hopefully. The pics won't upload :Banghead So go to the first youtube link on my signature and view the latest vid on my channel.

  43. #43HCF2011-03-10 18:50

    The dio looks great. I think my model work is going to come to an abrupt stop for a few months. I need to get to work on my old ford and im going to be buying a miller trailblaser 302 air pac to go on the bed. so the cash for the mini stuff is pretty well dried up. haha When i get the money im going to build a log truck. Just a standard long logger, maybe a quick change.

  44. #44MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-10 19:23

    The one I'm getting is a pole logger, has a 3rd axle that steers, all made from copper and is FREE except for the axles, 4 each, he's also building me a 2 axle jeep for 10$.

  45. #45HCF2011-03-10 20:14

    There is guy I met selling parts on DHS that is scratch building a madill tower on a pacific P-16 carrier I think. I'll ask if I can post his pics and I will share them after the 21st when photobucket stops being a b hole about bandwidth. Anyways, his work looks amazing and he's coming right along on the tower build.

  46. #46HCF2011-03-10 20:19

    Nice! I think I need to get a couple bucks saved up for that. Haha. Sweet deal.

  47. #47MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-16 18:29

    Yea, well, not the jeep anymore, and no axles come with it But, I'll just use the axles off my lowboy, or my belly dump when I get it.

  48. #48HCF2011-03-16 19:33

    That's ok though. Axles aren't too hard to find. Unless you want sword or first gear sets. Then it gets a little tricky.

  49. #49HITACHI3502011-03-16 19:57

    haha im makeing the trailer or i did make it hcf,i all so made a log set up for a sword t800w

  50. #50MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-17 19:37

    Austin? And the Joal axles won't fit it, so the First Gear ones look great though.

  51. #51HITACHI3502011-03-18 00:06

    yes

  52. #52MOUNTAIN MAN2011-03-18 00:41

    Ah ok, great to know your also on here. When will the trailer be shipped?

  53. #53Customization2011-03-24 16:13

    looks good there bud. looks like you spent lots of time on her welll keep up the collecting. i personally collect 1/32 scale

  54. #54HCF2011-03-25 00:40

    Customization: if you ever need any 1:32 new ray trucks for parts I'll ship them to you for like $5 plus shipping. For as many as can fit in a box. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested

  55. #55HITACHI3502011-03-27 15:35

    hey seen the velmet looks sweet, i have on as well there a great model, i apsalotly love the tracks and cab detial on it

  56. #56HCF2011-03-27 19:09

    Hands down, the best tracks and UC on any model I have. I wish ertl would put rock guards on the inside of their under carriages as well. Great model.

  57. #57KW850&T800H2011-03-27 23:04

    No doubt-also, they should put some more realistic detail as in correct boom lengths!

  58. #58HCF2011-03-28 00:10

    I agree with you 100%. Do you have one of the 959 models? I'm assuming the UCs are like the others, with the rock guards on the outside only and the tilt problems. I can't complain too much, nobody else makes a shovel model. I would love to see some madill link-belt or Komatsu stuff. Or any yarder. Maybe a stroke delimber. A guy can always dream.

  59. #59KW850&T800H2011-03-28 01:17

    I have the 909KH, ok model, more detail would be nice..madill will never have anything produced, not even the 3800C. I can dream by saying I'd love to see a thunderbird log loader..A yarder would be great, a trailer mounted one would be the most versatile, a skadill or Skagit would be so cool. A Komatsu anything new-whether it be a log loader is out of the question, the Valmer is a Komatsu so that's all they will make. What I really want- and I KNOW many others want one..a logging truck! Oh my gosh, if Sword made a T800W version pole logger they would sell so many. Madill's are ok but I'd rather have a different yarder. Trailer mounted like I said so anyone with a decent truck could buy it. Not to mention the fact that gravel guys would buy one and put pull buckets on them. Thanks for reading, hope it gives some info-it was mainly a rant

  60. #60HCF2011-03-28 01:36

    I agree with that. I think they would sell like hot cakes. Even a 5th wheel hayrack trailer. I think that any new logging equipment would sell extremely quickly if it was well advertised and manufactured in fairly low numbers to see where the market is for it. I was thinking Komatsu Link-Belt or Madill would be great because they are all still being made. I think it's a given that cat forestry equipment would sell fast but it would be real cool to be able to buy a TMY or TSY-50 made by sword or first gear. If we ever got something like that I would be begging someone to build an acme carriage for a small yarder and a boman MKVI for Something like a Berger Marc 2 or a Madill 009 model. I know that the 009 has become pretty popular with the rock heads for pulling a drag bucket. I see them quite a bit in Loggers World for sale from rock companies.

  61. #61KW850&T800H2011-03-28 02:06

    I disagree with seeing the 009 being produced, the only reason they sold well is because they were cheap, when they broke, they could just buy another one. If a greatly detailed pole yarder was to be made it'd have to be a Skagit BU739. I'm not a fan of Bergers also. As well, madill isn't necessarily being made anymore. Nicholson manufacturing bought them and are fixing them, they will start making more if the demand goes up. I think the log loaders, bunchers and processors are being produced though. And a couple small yarders too maybe. For a log loader (like I said) it'd have to be something you don't see everyday like a Thunderbird or a Madill, the Cat would sell fast as ****, I'd buy one, but it's not classy enough. Log trailers are the thing of the future

  62. #62HITACHI3502011-03-29 17:15

    hey hcf i got some more customs on my web site heres the link http://raccoon370customs.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=10054637 . i made a scratch built dump bed,tag but still have to post it on my website, and upgraded the tires on the t800w enjoy

  63. #63farmboy26ful2011-03-31 11:42

    So were or how do you get you decals??? I have searched ALL OVER and I cannot find any.

  64. #64KW850&T800H2011-03-31 11:47

    He makes them.

  65. #65KW850&T800H2011-03-31 11:50

    When and how did you ship my tailer?

  66. #66farmboy26ful2011-03-31 22:34

    Well cool, I realy like them (still figuring out how to make them!

  67. #67KW850&T800H2011-04-01 00:02

    Ryan-in case you haven't noticed-I'm Nigel, and Hitachi is raccoon370

  68. #68farmboy26ful2011-04-01 22:33

    Ya, I kinda figured, and why does everyone have a equipment forum account??? its kinda weird, but I have one to!!! : lol

  69. #69KW850&T800H2011-04-01 23:18

    It's because there is way more material on here-we talk more on here about serious stuff. This is where I learn about my stuff, but most of it I learnt myself..

  70. #70farmboy26ful2011-04-02 00:36

    I learn alot of cool stuff to, by the way, that was a AWSOME kentworth you did a walkaround of.

  71. #71HCF2011-04-02 12:22

    So are they the ones you print off the computer or are they something fancier?

  72. #72KW850&T800H2011-04-03 01:17

    Just another piece of GOLD I've found-tandem tridem with 45 ton crane and 5th wheel, classic AB oil truck.

  73. #73HITACHI3502011-04-05 00:39

    hey HCF did u see my dump bed i built for my 389 pete

  74. #74KW850&T800H2011-04-07 01:14

    I need to know if and when you shipped my trailer!?

  75. #75trakloader2011-05-07 01:21

    If you get the old Cat 225 digging crane, you can quite easily build a Lantec yarder. They weren't a big success, but hey, it might be the easiest route to a 1/50 yarder!

  76. #76trakloader2011-05-08 22:37

    My thoughts on a factory made yarder model; Skagit tower would be a very expensive model. They telescope, so that would mean making two closely fitted tubes, plus a locking mechanism to keep it telescoped. Not to mention all the small winches that operate the guylines, and telescope and raise the spar. Add the hydraulic jacks, and hundreds of air lines.... well, $$$$$$$$. The same would apply, of course, to a T-Bird or Berger tower, or a Tyee or Sparmatic, for that matter. The Madill 009 may not have been the greatest yarder ever, but they were probably the most prolific, and their simple design would be relatively easy to model. Most of the machinery was boxed in, and the pipe is basically one piece. A tank mount could be hauled on a 1/50 lowbed, and it would be fairly easy to make the model fully functional. The 071 of Axe-Men fame would be a good candidate, too. In swing yarders, Cypress 6280, 7280, or Madill 124 or 144 would be possible, but them lattice booms might drive the price way up. The 144 could be fully functional, as the drums are in line and would be easier to make functional than the side by side drums on the Cypress. A Washington TL-6 might be another possibility, and might even be the most versatile for the 1/50 scale gyppo. They can yard and load, and are fairly simple in their construction. And the rubber mount means you don't need a lowbed. Being about half the size of a 144, price could be kept down.

  77. #77HCF2011-05-19 21:43

    I agree with the ax men set up completely. They would sell quickly.