Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My name is Doug and i have a problem.

Old Doug ยท 2014-05-26 12:23

I went to a flea market last weekend were they allways have alot of tools. I work some at 2 shops and our farm shop i have more than one set of tools but i want to put some stuff together to take with me so i dont have to take tools from my shop so i have a list of things i need when i go to sells and flea markets.I didnt need alot of metric stuff in the past but now i do so i looked and bought some metric wrenches that i needed to make a set or 2 up from what i had extras of. Today i started to put stuff to gether and i looked in a cabnet and found all most 2 sets i had built in the past. Its not that i am a tool addict because you can never have to many its that i ether have a bad menory or poor organiztion skills.

Replies27
  1. #1mitch5042014-05-26 12:41

    Hi Doug, Can I get directions to that flea market? The ones around here just have a few shops selling chinese junk. I figure a few thousand miles isn't to far for a quick trip to a flea market with good used tool sellers; and, no , I'm not a tool addict, either. :nono

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-05-26 12:45

    At least you found two sets. I know I have at least two sets and can't find any. My name is Roger and I have a problem.

  3. #3RZucker2014-05-26 15:08

    Someone once called me a "Chrome crazed tool Junky", I have no problem. I can stop anytime I want to... Flea market??? Where at again? Directions?

  4. #4ttazzman2014-05-26 16:38

    dont go bad mouthing those Chinese sets from harbor freight........i keep a full set of those around for when i need to make a special tool......grind on them...heat and bend...cut a gap in a 12pt box end to make a 12pt flare nut wrench...etc.....great way to make your own special one shot tools......saved me tons of times...

  5. #5Mike L2014-05-26 16:44

    My name is mike, I have a problem and I don't care who knows! If I don't get new tools once in while, I start to sweat and get the shakes. A quick trip to my dealer (snap-on) and I'm back to my old self. So do we all meet here once a week to talk about it?

  6. #6simonsrplant2014-05-26 18:04

    Can someone direct me to the tool addicts anonymous website...

  7. #7lantraxco2014-05-26 19:30

    The only problem I have, I need more tools! Then more storage for tools! And someone to organize and fetch me my tools! Eh, maybe if I win the lottery......

  8. #8pburress2014-05-26 19:52

    Lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9Moonlite2014-05-26 21:31

    My excuse for building a shop at my house. Gotta have someplace to put all the tools I can't carry.

  10. #10nowing752014-05-26 21:33

    I have that problem also. I keep watching eBay bor big wrenches and sockets to fill my service truck up. I have had good luck at auctions. Look at auctions zip

  11. #11biggav2014-05-27 06:45

    Ha ha I know that problem well. I went to a good tool shop the other day only needing a $12 socket. After wandering around and finding things that I needed(wanted) I walked out with my wallet $600 lighter.

  12. #12Randy882014-05-27 08:52

    There is no such thing as a tool addiction, and no matter what anyone says, that's the story and I'm sticking to it, now someone said a tool auction or flea market?? is it also online? Now to clarify there is no such thing as cheap junk in regards to tools, there's the kind that have no warranty [you don't shed any tears when you lose them or break them] then there's the kind that have a warranty and its no big deal if you do break them but [shed tears when you lose them] they all basically work the same way for the job at hand, hence the need for more of both quality ranges................or for most people we just plain need more tools. But while on the subject of tools, does anyone know who has the best price on Posi-Lock gear pullers or who makes a knock off brand that works just as good as posi-lock? If we're coming here once a week to discuss things, lets all gain some insight on where to buy, what tools, and at the moment I'm in need of more gear pullers, what's everyone else looking for and needing?

  13. #13Old Doug2014-05-27 19:05

    I dont know were a good place to get posi lock pullers would be. I have never had good luck useing gear pullers but i can see were this kind would be better. Me and my brother haul scrap and we meet up at the place were we sell today. He had some suff from a shop. I ended up finding several Indestro sockets on his trailer. Its a rare thing if i dont find some kind of tool when i take a load of scrap in. Old vehicles are a good place for tools to get misplaced and alot of times fall out when they get turned over.

  14. #141466IH2014-05-27 21:33

    Hi my name is drew and I have a problem. Snap on tool bills have ruined many a good marriages lol. If anyone needs one there is a guy on the St. Louis Craigslist with 2 inch and a half drive 4000ft/lb torque o meters for $500 each. They have been on there for a long time and now says 500obo Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  15. #15nowing752014-06-01 10:31

    I like the challenge of buying big old machine tools. Fun to move a 10,000 lb mill with just a bar and some 1/2" round bar

  16. #16Old Doug2014-06-01 18:39

    Years ago i saw a mill in a junk yard it weighed a little over 8000 lb. I ended up with it and payed to have it unloaded in front of my shop were i rolled it in on 1/2 pipe. It took up alot of room because its 15HP motor was on the back and stuck out around 3 feet. I never used it and when i moved i gave it to a friend we rolled it up on a trailer to get it to his shop. He never used it ether. That was a $400.00 lessen. On the other side of big tools i was at a garage sell and bought a unimate lathe if you dont know what it is its about the smallest lathe you can get it uses a sewing machine motor. I keep trying to find a job for it. Today i used it to make a brass part for a carburetor.

  17. #17Joeyslushr2014-06-01 22:44

    When I was traveling I used to go out of my way to stop at tool shops around the country... I may have a problem haha. Clark's tool always comes to mind...it's on Kansas City. It was always a challenge to get everything I bought wherever we were working in the truck and home JS

  18. #18curb guy2014-06-02 00:07

    Sounds like we both have the same addiction. I too love old machine tools. Probably have a dozen old lathes, Southbend , logan , Sidney, Hendey etc. Went to an auction a few years ago, left with 2 Cincinnati horiz. mills, I/D O/D grinder , radial arm drills, drill presses and 3 lowboy loads of other stuff. Just get too much enjoyment out of restoring old machine tools, some of which were built around the turn of the century. Saving them from the scrappers makes me happy! As far as the Snap on and Mac tool guys go, lets just say I have probably put more than one of their kids through college.......

  19. #19Old Doug2014-06-02 18:11

    Did you ever go to the guy that sold used tools i think it was on Kansas AVE. I would stop their alot hauling scrap. About every time he would have some thing new. I got alot of stuff from him. Scrap went down and i wasnt going much and one day i stoped and he was closed he had died.It wasnt to far from Harry Epsteins.

  20. #20nowing752014-06-02 19:59

    I got a 21" swing lathe lodge and Shipley for. $700 bucks on eBay because the dc motor did not work. I just put a ac motor in they I got for $30 on eBay the year before. Have never made a cut yet that it even slowed down

  21. #21caterpillarmech2014-06-03 05:21

    I'm with ya fellas. My truck is 2000lbs over weight and I am still adding to the collection. I cant stop!

  22. #22nowing752014-06-04 22:29

    I'm afraid to weight mine. Think the lube skid will put me over the top .

  23. #23Mike L2014-06-05 06:32

    I still got a couple thousand pounds to go before I'm overweight. The nice d.o.t lady told me that during our 45 minute interrogation, oops Meant conversation.

  24. #24Randy882014-06-05 06:55

    Nearly 20 years ago, I bought a gap bed railroad lathe, I've moved it three times and this last time its now in its final home, took us three days to figure out how to get it there which was last summer, still don't have it hooked up yet though, been too busy. Shops and service trucks are never big enough to hold all of what one has or wants to have. A long time ago, I was buying large older machines from a guy who had a phrase I'll never forget, he claimed he was a "collector and connoisseur of antiquated antiquities" his wife called him a junk dealer who bought and sold scrap equipment, guess its all in the perspective of how you view one's "stuff".

  25. #25okiebindernut2014-07-07 16:44

    Hi, my name is Judd, and I too, have a problem. I start to think that I am getting better and then the Snap-On man shows up, and I fall off the wagon again. Like others have said you can't have too many tools. I keep a ton of Chinese wrenches around so that I can heat, bend, and cut them into the shape I need. I will also never get rid of an old tool box. No matter how bent up they are. I just keep them at home to put the tools that I know I will probably never need again in.

  26. #26Nige2014-07-07 17:43

    That's like the difference between an airplane and a "gentleman's aeronautical conveyance" ..................

  27. #27stumpjumper832014-07-07 17:58

    Why is there a sale on?