Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My new 9N

Buickspec6231 ยท 2018-04-08 10:04

I recently bought an old 1941 Ford 9N with a Dearborn plow on it. $1500 on auction. She's showing signs of her age, but it doesn't look molested. Still a 6 volt setup. Cold started yesterday after I got it home with no problem. 3pt hitch works smoothly, and all the grease fittings took grease. I'm just going to use it around my property to brush hog a few trails and pull some stones out of the woods using a car hood as a sled. I hope when I get to 77 years old I work a quarter as well as this tractor seems to. Now my "collection" is a 1985-ish ** 50H and this Ford 9N. Neither are pretty, but either am I. I'm looking for a nice little 4ft brush hog and a York rake. I'm going to put an overrun coupler on it for when I do brush hog.

Replies7
  1. #1td25c2018-04-08 11:33

    Nice find ! Looks like she has been taken care of well . Handy item .

  2. #2RZucker2018-04-08 19:34

    A friend of mine has one just like that with the 3 bar radiator guard, been in his family since it was new. He has two huge John Deere track typ tractors for field work an a 30' flail mower, but the little Ford with a 5' mower does the fencelines and corners. His medium tractor is a Farmall Super M.

  3. #3Buickspec62312018-04-08 20:13

    Messed around with it a little today. Determined that the generator doesn't seem to be charging properly. I'm not sure yet if it's a generator issue or voltage regulator issue. I've been going through some of the Ol' Man's Motor Manuals and cruising some other websites focused on the N-series tractors for info. If the generator is to blame, I'll be doing a 12 volt conversion and doing away with a generator and 6 volt positive ground. If I find a simple fix, we shall just leave it be. I ran out of motivation as the darkness and below freezing temperatures moved back in.

  4. #4Buickspec62312018-04-15 05:45

    Well, I did some more testing. Everything was pointing towards the regulator. While full fielding the generator I was able to get the correct charge out of the it. Pulled the regulator off and found a wire melted inside and a set of the contacts burned up. I can't get my phone to cooperate to upload the pictures right now.

  5. #5Mother Deuce2018-04-15 07:29

    Can we see the trucks out behind your boat? Please

  6. #6Buickspec62312018-04-15 19:26

    Good eye there Mother Deuce. I'll get some pictures of the trucks whenever Mother Nature stops being an insulting word. Both trucks are Mack BX's. One is a 1936 with a gas job, the other is a 1937 with a factory installed and original Cummins diesel (Very unique for the age). The trucks belong to my Dad. The diesel truck last ran about 4 years ago, he drove it to that spot where it sits now. Hasn't been run since because the low pressure pump took a crap and getting the pump repaired is proving to be an issue due to it being a single disc injection pump and not your standard PT pump. He has a few other trucks on the property that I'll post up in a thread soon too.

  7. #7Truck Shop2018-04-15 21:37

    This guy has several Ford N series and a Gibson with accessories for sale. https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d/ford-tractorn/6561328388.html Truck Shop