Just bought a used Cushman. It looks a lot like a mini bread truck! I bought it to scoot around my property on. So now comes the upgrading and restoration. I need to lift it around 6". Any suggestions? Any one even see one of these before? Thanks, Fred
more photos
lets try that again
frt susp
The coils will be easy just need some taller ones, but the leaf springs will be PITA. Unless you make some massive drop shackle.
why not put some metal blocks between the rear axle and springs with some very long heavy duty u-bolts holding it altogether like it is now. would need to redo the shock mounts though. for the front could you make it into a drop axle? :beatsme just few ideas off the top of my head.
I like it! can't say I have seen one before though......whats it going be like off the straight and level
Like was meantioned, blocks under the rear springs would be the easyest. Then there is the option of re arching the leaves or a combonation of both. Longer shocks maybe even air shocks. As far as the front end goes that will be more difficult to do. Longer coils again but you might run into problems with the steering linkage. If your good at cutting and welding anything is possible. I have seen pics of gulf carts with lifts and they are awsome. Good luck and have fun...:drinkup
Man, thanks for all of the quick resonses! I was thinking all of the same. It seems like all the suspension components are pretty rusted and probably need replaced anyways, its and 1982 vehicle. I am probably going to replace the rear leaves with ones that are more arched, replace the rear shocks, and put blocks on the rear. The front may be more difficult. If anyone has anymore suggestions or parts that can be used let me know because finding parts that will swap out without any fabrication may be difficult.
Now we're talking my language.....woohoo a lifting project. The leaf springs are easy....well the coils are too for that matter. We'll start with the rear. For 6" of lift you'll probably need to do 2 different types of lift on the rear to divide the new stresses you're adding to the equation. There are 3 options: Lift block, lift shackles and add-a-leafs. I'm not a big fan of lift blocks in larger trucks because they tend to cause axle wrap under acceleration. That shouldn't be much of a problem here though as we're not talking alot of horsepower. I'd use no larger than a 3" block due to the stresses your putting on the U-bolts. You can usually pick these up at an auto parts store for about $20 or you can make them yourself. Most are made of aluminum, which is not good on a larger truck but will work fine here, and can be shaved on the sides to fit your dimensions. You'll need 3" longer ubolts after you install the blocks. Most equipment dealers can make U-bolts to your specification. If you go with 3" blocks, the shackle lift is also easy. I wouldn't do 6" of only shackle lift though. There is nothing complicated about a shackle so they are easily made. Find the length of the old shackle and make new ones, that are 3" longer, out of flat bar. Cut the flat bar to length, round the edges and drill the appropiate size hole in each end of each shackle. Add a spacer inbetween each set in the center for added strength. With both of those you have a total of 6" in the back. Now to the front. I would suspect you will need to go to a sping shop to have some longer springs made as there probably aren't many custom springs out there for your application. Bring your old ones so they can figure the specifications of your current springs. It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures what the upper spring perch is mounted to, but you may be able to make a new mount to lower the perch 6" inches. This would give you 6" of lift in the front and you wouldn't need new springs (think saving $$$). This is the way I would go, if you have the tools to fab the needed parts, because springs are rather pricey. Now to the fun part. Some things will no longer work and will need to be replaced. The shocks will need to be longer or you'll have to lower the upper mounts or raise the lower mounts. Judging by the appearence of the shocks, they might not be any good now. Removing them completely is an option since this probably isn't going to be your daily driver . Brake lines will need to be lenghtened or the mounts lowered if the brakes are hydraulic type. Make sure your driveline will accommodate the lift in the rear. If the drive shaft is too short you will run into problems. Again it's kind of hard to tell from the pictures but the steering might need adjustment. Best I can tell it doesn't look like it will, due to the geometry of the linkage. You might loose some steering radius to the left and right (how sharp you can turn) but the tires should still be aligned. Again, most of this will be custom due to the age and application you are dealing with. I found these people by searching "Cushman lift kits" in Yahoo. The kits they have listed are for the newer models but they may be able to direct you to a source for parts you need. Parts4carts.com Hope this helps give you some perspective and ideas for your project. When it's done I want pictures. :drinkup
Not many of them around. Looks like you scored!
When I want to lift something 6", I use a bottle jack or a floor jack.
I don't care for lift blocks, but if really depends on how hard you use it. They have a habit of tipping or siding out of place.
nice
Id take the box off of it and make it a bed and fabricate the exhaust to go into a stack between the bed and the seat :cool2
Buy lots of pb blaster and spray all those bolts ahead of time. There just a little rusted!
I would put an a arm susp. under the front of mine. We have a couple golf cars here on our site and we have lifted them. I put an a arm kit on one in the front and blocked and shocked the back. Another one has spindle lifts(longer spindle tubes horizontal) and block and shocked... I like to fabricate though,so I had little problems. I would pull the front of a four wheeler off and fab it on ,and widen it out. Thats just plain ol fun stuff though.Nice ride though. Ive never seen one like this. Pretty cool..where did you obtain such a creature.?
Are you looking for more ground clearence; or do you just want to raise the cab? For ground clearence don't you need larger diameter of tire? Lifting the suspension will give you more room to travel before bottoming out; but this won't raise the front axle and rear diff any for ground clearence; larger tires will.
Yes, but you will need a lift to make room for those bigger tires.
Haven't seen one before, but it looks pretty cool.