Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

my new koehring.

qball · 2009-06-22 23:19

the union sent me to a paving company to charge their asphalt crusher with a 980f. it is slow going and during the frequent breaks in production i run this beast. a 6644 koehring. holy hell, what a beast! strong, loud and slow.

Replies25
  1. #1D5G2009-06-22 23:28

    and 44' of reach to boot! I guess anything is better than sitting at home, tho.

  2. #2willie592009-06-22 23:31

    WHAT, no pictures of the noise maker??? :drinkup

  3. #3daugherty1022009-06-22 23:43

    strong, loud, and slow... yep sounds like a koehring to me:roll that wouldn't happen to be gallagher asphalt would it?

  4. #4qball2009-06-22 23:46

    no sir, central blacktop in mc cook. this thing is so slow it doesn't have an hour meter, it has a calander.:tong

  5. #5oriden2009-06-23 02:37

    glad to see your working!

  6. #6daugherty1022009-06-24 00:09

    ohok i knew i recognized the company colors in the background. hey don't feel bad qball i got a smaller older version. all air operated as is ur i would guess. it usually takes about a half hour to get the old girl warmed up and about an hour to get anywhere in the pit. i think molasses in january is faster.

  7. #7Cat-Peter2009-06-24 09:35

    Does it have an real engine in it? In other words Detroit!!! /Peter

  8. #8qball2009-06-24 16:43

    call me crazy, but i wish it was a jimmy. instead it has a big cummins. sounds pretty good, though.

  9. #9finaldrive2009-06-24 21:50

    Ahhhh I love the big orange beasts! I worked for a Koehring dealer through the 90s..although it was short lived being a dealer since they quit making them...but I wrecked out a ton of these machines for used parts when the new parts dried up and became too expensive. Actually I have a pair of the Lohmann final drives with Rexroth motors in stock for this machine. Hopefully you'll never need them, but you know where to find them if you do!

  10. #10JimBruce422009-06-24 22:27

    sweet ol' right ya got there Q. How big is that machine, I'm not very familar with the Koehrings, big bucket too.:drinkup

  11. #11qball2009-06-24 22:30

    don't know the weight, but she has a 12' stick, 36" tracks, and an 6' bucket. she is bigger than a 235, and maybe bigger than a 345.

  12. #12Cat-Peter2009-06-25 11:33

    Nooooo not crazy Im an totaly Detroit fan! Cummins is ok but there is nothing like an Jimmy! I have an Terex 72-51 loader with an 6-71 Jimmy, but it needs alittle work. The blower drive shaft was broken wheni bought it. But soon I will play some nice music for my friends!! :drinkup /Peter

  13. #13jetxss2009-11-11 22:41

    If anybody knows where I can find Koehring 866-1066 1166 1266 1466 parts or entire machines I'd be very grateful for the help I don't want to see any of these machines go to the scrapyards too many died that way

  14. #14Koehringman2009-11-12 08:29

    One way I've been looking Hi, Jet. I agree, It breaks my heart when I hear of one being scrapped. I'll go to ebay or Google or Craigslist. I think there is a 1066C on ebay now. With me I'd need to have Bill Gate's bank account to save them. I own a 455 from 1966. And I just bought a 466D I'm going to restore. I'm with the Historical Construction Equipment Assoc. Northeast Rockbusters chapter. Check out my Koehrings at nerockbusters.weebly.com

  15. #15danhoe2009-11-12 08:45

    Hey qball thanks for the book at hcea. The 6644 was the last Koehring, I ran in 1992, I was setting 78" pipe with it. Load and strong. dan

  16. #16mr.412010-07-07 16:19

    Great!! They were good machines!!!

  17. #17cat9802010-07-07 21:09

    q why arent you on the 225

  18. #18cat 325ccr2010-07-13 22:36

    Awesome, got to see a 1466 a couple years ago

  19. #19adercole2010-12-29 21:01

    1966 455 koehring KOEHRINGMAN there is a 455 for sale in ri, my dad ran it from 1966 to 1973. It was the first hydralic excavator machine in ri. Trying to find the exact operating wieght for the machine and manuel for the machine.

  20. #20mzornes2013-12-04 17:18

    Koehring i have a 866D but most guys don't know how to run it up here only the old timers plus it needs work my older brother taught me and i'am just a girl its not that hard anyway can't sell it so i'am thinking of scraping it the little koehring sold but just cant get the big one sold a hate to scrap it but have to get it out of yard fill bad about i learned to run when i was 20 hard to see the equipment go . Milisa

  21. #21RBMcCloskey2013-12-09 17:36

    First Hydraulic Backhoe I ran was a 505. Slow, you could not extend the dipper when hoisting the boom...took some getting used to, but strong as hell...nothing stopped it, not frost or shot rock or buried pipes and cables. I have run 466's to 1266's great machines all...

  22. #22Lee (MN)2013-12-10 19:38

    Nice looking 6644, I have never been around the little Koehrings like that, they are built a lot different than 1066-1166. Interesting photo's, thanks for posting. Lee

  23. #23HATCHEQUIP2013-12-10 22:30

    Keep us in mind on the older koehring parts for the ones ending in 66 also have a complete ME front for a 1066c

  24. #24glenlunberg2013-12-11 02:57

    Great pictures on this thread. I'm glad to see this model 6644.

  25. #25Koehring_Researcher2022-10-18 15:17

    I am right there with you, absolutely heartbreaking to me that such beastly machines were discontinued. As it turns out, I’ve been doing research on the 1266-D for a while now, and honestly, I’m quite surprised by the things I’ve found part-wise! Though, I don’t even have $5, so for now, it’s just a dream. For now. The reason for why I’ve been researching the 1266-D is bc there’s one that I have my eyes on. It’s actually the reason I’m planning to go into the heavy equipment repair business! I have no clue if it runs, and if I’m being realistic, it would most likely be a miracle just to get one of the engines started, as it’s in pretty rough shape, not to mention that for idk how long, it’s been under-equipped with either incorrect parts, or not enough of what should be multiple of others. This is sure to be a task, but I have faith in it.