Finally it arrived 4 weeks ago and we had few jobs with this monster. Very mich pleased.
Awesome. Didn't realize you had bought one. Cat engines? Cummins? Or the detroits. I see it's got the lugs for pendants on a long jib. Did you get the 88' jib for it as well.
While I've spent very little time in the upper on those old Groves I sure have spent a lot of time fixing them. They're stout old cranes. I always wanted one for a yard crane when I was trucking. Old school where you can pick by the seat of your pants instead of the structural line in the chart fearing the boom will fold!! Nice machine.
I got a little chuckle at the SWL 110 ton. I imagine you could sell it as that, but there's no chart that reads that. It is a really nice looking old grove though. Must be a little hard to find 14.00 r20's over there though, looks like you had to improvise on the steer axle?
I saw the SWL on the boom too. We collectively chuckled at it
Thanks guys, This machine has 2 Detroit engines.the 88' on its way in a container together with boom dolly. 1400x20r tyres are not a big problem this side though I had to put supper singles on one axle on my first 100km trip when I got one bust tyre . On the SWL, I will come down to 90ton. I have noticed that my people do not really understand these tonnages on cranes and also want to keep their jobs safe by calling for much bigger crane for a very small job. Most of the jobs they call for an 80ton can simply be done with a 50ton but you can't really convince them on that. After all have been said I have 2 problems. **on a single rope , the winch stopped when I was lifting a 4ton first piece of these tele booster tower which 50ton crane lifted without any problem.what could be the problem. ***I failed to put the last 8m piece on the 45m tower . I need to extend my fly jib and an engeerer is coming to access and assist. 88' wil arrive in 2 months time and I might lose the contract If wait for 2 months. Any suggestion on how to extend it. Front or back.
The winch should pull about 10-12,000 lbs. Make sure it isn't stuck in the high side. There's a little air cylinder or cable arm on the middle of the motor side of the winches. Some have a electric solenoid. That switches the flow on the motors. You can have half speed and full power, or twice the speed with 1/2 the power. I think I can see the air cylinders in one picture of the motor side of the winches. Make sure it moves the valve. Some of those jibs have the ability to have a A-frame jib mounted to the tip of the fly jib. Most of the A- frame's are 26' long. You need to have the extended tip shaft on the tip of the jib, and the attachment point for the pennant lines on the back of the jib. Take some pictures of the jib, tip and the back of it, and then the top of the main boom head. A a frame would be much easier to field fab than building the insert. I attached a pdf of a 865 grove spec chart which shows A-frame. The 875 spec. doesn't show a a-frame, but your chart in the upper cab will show if one was available for your crane. Post up a picture of the chart in the upper cab. and the tip and base of the jib. One of the pictures in the brochure kind of shows how it attaches. And I'll just add that I wouldn't build one myself, and risk it breaking and dropping a tower section, but I'm not in the middle of africa either. I don't know how much your tower section weighs, and that would determine if the a-frame would even be strong enough. I hate to say it, but I would either wait on the inserts, or lose the job. Picture of a A-frame jib:
This shows the extended shaft on the head sheave where the a-frames hook on. This shows the back end of a aframe where it saddle's around the extended shaft.
A little better picture of a extended shaft. The bottom jib, the shaft sticking out of each side of the sheave is where the a-frame mounts.
Looks like a nice machine Evans , I love it ! Keep up the good work !
Gentlemen, I had to put a bolt to lock the valve pressed inside. It looked as if the valve was overpowering the shaft that suppose to press it in during lifting. Not sure if this will work , need to lift heavy load to test . I have also decided to wait for the right tools 88' to reach the height needed.no need to risk.
That valve is stuck in high. That spool should come up when it doesn't have air in it. The spool has a spring on the back that should push the spool up against your air cylinder at all times. Put a punch in that hole and work it back and forth. See if you can get that spool up. That's your low speed.
Knepptune has it. The spool is stuck and that's why you're stuck in high range, The little air cylinder just moves it back and forth. Likely the valve hasn't been switched in a while and they get a ring of rust/ gunk on them and get stuck. The spool you need to be working on is circled. It should spring up and touch the arm.
Paint stuck
Great to see these awesome photographs! Kindly take it as my honest and sincere appreciation. Recently, I hired a carry deck crane to transport materials around the work site. It could easily hoist large amounts of material in tightly confined spaces. The crane is equipped to lift 3 to 18-ton capacity units that have a maximum horizontal reach of 66 feet. One important thing I need to share with you is that the crane operators should be certified by a crane operator testing organization. In our place, it's offered by National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators . We should always work with safety and environmental sensitivity at top of mind!
Good day gentlemen ,the spools are both working well (high and low )we had to clean the rust and also the seroniod was not earthed .we did that and everything ok now.Thank you for showing me direction and everything fell into place .The power is massive and i thank i really need qualified operators for this type of machine .I thank you again guys for the priceless advise you always give.