I picked this Oshkosh up this fall and finally brought it home. She's a Model 4819 built in 1963. Has the 2 stick 5 & 4 speed with full-time 4 wd. It has a Cummins, but I am unsure of the size. Usually this era would have a 230 or 250 hp, but this is not the original motor, as it obviously has been swapped and the date on the motor is 1970. It has also has a jake brake, not something you usually see in an Oshkosh of this vintage. Anybody know where I can find numbers on the block that would tell me what it is? The usual tag on the fule injector pump is missing, so I'm out of luck there. Thanks. If anybody has a Cummins site with info on old engines, please pass it on as well.
Alan, there should be a tag at the bottom of the power steering resevoir and behind it on the front cover. Is that the area you were talking about? You sure are going to have your hands full with the twin stick and plow controls!!
I've looked down around that area, usually there is a tag faceing you on the injector pump below the ps resevoir, but nothing on this old girl. I've been told that there are other indicators/numbers but I'm not sure where to look.:beatsme
osh kosh most people i knew back then had their hands full with just the twin stick. i know i never did master high 3rd to low 4th.
atgreene where did you get that at S.A. Mclean (sp) was up their a couple of months ago to get a wing for my truck.He has a ton of stuff up their.Got to go back when i got more time. glen
Yup, I spend way too much time over there. And money lol. I need to go back after the wing when I get a chance, maybe tomorrow or friday.
Looks like a 855....cubic in. Turbo or non turbo? If its got a turbo it could be a 250, 262 or a 335. I think the 335 had a compression release. Non turbo....could be a 220. Send some pics of both sides of the engine. Try to get a shot of the fuel pump, intake, (left side) and the exhaust manifold.
Non turbo. I'll get some better pics.
nice
looks like an old small cam too me but that doesn't narrow it down much
Nice looking old plow truck. Did you get a front plow or just the wing? When I saw the pic of it in line with the others I said, gotta be Steve McLean's yard. Big question is, did you drive it home or have it hauled, and if so, what did it cost to truck it? I have an old Motor's Truck Repair Manual, 1973 I think, but would cover your 63 motor, if you need specs or anything. Been around Cummins for the last 35 years, should be able to answer most questions. I am only about 15 miles away from you. George
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums trucker1! :drinkup
Yup, came from Steve's. Richard Wing sent his lowbed over to haul it for me. We do a lot of trading/dickering back and forth, so I'm not sure what it will cost me yet. I have a 10' Frink V for it, but need to find a wing. I forgot to get some more pics of the motor. I did find that there would appear to be a decompression release arm on the front of the motor. It is not hooked-up, but has a piece of linkage hanging from it. I pulled the front hydro shaft out and have sent it to Williams Bros. to have another made. I can't get the wheels off yet to get to the brake pads that are obviously bad. The bud wheel nuts are froze on in good shape. I have been spraying them with weasle p and am waiting on my Kroil order to arrive. I'm sure it will take some heat to get them loose. I talked to Brake Service today about the brakes. I had been getting conflicting info on the brakes. Are brakes Oshkosh specific and hard to come by? Are they a dealer item? Brake Service says that shouldn't be an issue, if needed they will reline them. The salesman is coming up to take a look at them when I get the drums off. Hat's off to Brake Service, I had heard they were good and thus far they have exceeded my expectations:notworthy. Nice to find a company that provides service. I drained the rear-end, transfer case and secondary transmission. Still need to do the tranny and front-end.
wow that is a beast
When we were actively running our Oshkosh plow truck I was told by the dealer that a great number of chassis parts were common from the 50's to the late 90's. A lot was specific Oshkosh but available although pricey. They are a beast. I had to put in an air seat in as it's a real back killer.
Brake Service are just about the best people to deal with. I used to deal with Karen whenever I went in. She really knew her stuff, but Tom, the manager is top shelf too. There is a young guy that works on the counter now, can't remember his name right now, but his uncle is my parts man at Freightliner of Maine, another great place to get parts, at least for me. I started buying parts from Spencer Truck Parts when they were across from Cat in Scarboro about 15 years ago. Then Brake Service bought them out and opened the store where they are now. I bought my first PTO from them but had to go to Lewiston because that was the closest at the time. The salesman that comes will probably be Bill Clark. Dealt with him a few times when they were still open on Sat mornings. Miss that now, but they didn't have enought business to stay open then. Now that you are buying parts (lots of them ) they can reopen on Sats. To give you an idea of how great they are, when I bought the truck I have now, I went in and got filters for the engine, Cummins N14. They looked them up and brought them out. I went to change the oil a couple weeks later and the oil filter was WAY too small. I went back (20 miles one way) with fire in my eyes, took the old filter with me, they looked it up again and it still came up with the filter they sold me. Looked 3 different ways, and still came up wrong. Crossed the old filter to a fleetgurad and came out with the right one. Tom the manager got in on it, the right filter was about 2 dollars more, said call it even, wait a minute, went out back and gave me a second filter for free (about 18 dollars) and said it was to make up for my troubles. Sorry. They get more business from me now than the NAPA store 3 miles away. By the way, when you get tired of playing with those wheel nuts, let me know and I will bring over my 1 inch drive air wrench and rattle them off for you. Actually I will let you do it while I sit in your truck and play with the gear shift. Vrooooom Vroooom! George
looks right out of the jack frost movie, haha. Either way, still a nice looking machine
They delivered some parts to Wing Logging when they got the wrong ones last week. Ran them right out special trip. I found my new favorite parts store. Although Chris at Napa Heavy Truck in Westbrook has always been awesome. He finds stuff that noone else can, but he and Matt are so busy it's hard to get them on the phone. Napa treats the heavy truck counter like the b*****d child. For a while they had the truck counter open at 8 am. I went up one side and down the other of the manager. Asked him what kind of moron opens a heavy truck couter at 8 when the regular counter is open at 7? I see they finally are opening early again. I may need the 1", I have a 3/4 drive but need the air wrench. I'm going to ask Wing if I can borry his at breakfast in the am. BTW, the other place that is awesome is Williams Bros. on Warren ave. Tom has been great (he used to be at Messer then smartened up and bailed out of there). They have my pto shaft ready for me, just over 24 hour turn around for a full pto shaft build.
FOUND IT!!! Your parts truck. Only had to look under a torque wrench and 3 hammers to find the disk it was on. This a pic of the Oshkosh I hauled into Steve's yard a few years back. A friend of mine in Richmond hired me to pick this up in Patten and haul it to Richmond. He didn't want the truck, he collects Walter plow trucks, has about 6 I think, but the guy practically begged him to take it off his hands. He kept it for a couple years, then traded it with Steve for a Reo fire truck, a pumper. This was a Gas engine, only had the wing. Fellow I got it from in Patten said it belonged to a paper company, I think, and he only used it to wing back snow banks. George
Did you look at the back of the block on left side just below the cylinder head? Sometime the engine number is stamped there on a cummins. Be worth a look.
Dustin is the other parts guy, and he's top-notch as well. Karin recognized the brake shoes immediately and new exactly what would match-up in a newer version. They had everything in stock with the exception of 1 seal that will be delivered early next week. I can't say enough about Brake Service! They are great! Awesome folks.:notworthy Tomorrow we fab a new rear bed and put the brakes and hub back together.:thumbsup
All back together and pushing! Here's some pics.
Great pictures! I can tell you're a man of experience by the way you have your wing set for benching. A couple of questions..hope you don't mind. Is the snow in your area as hard as it is here? The snowbanks here are like concrete. Does your wing keep taking a good steady cut while benching or does it ride up some?
Thanks. The truck will cut through some heavy ice banks as long as I lift my shelfing arms where they belong. Most of the snow isn't too bad, until today when we got 3/4" of rain on top of everything. We have about 4' of snow on the ground now and have had 130"+ of snow thus far, so buying the truck this year was a good idea. As for experience, I started learning to run wing when I was barely old enough to walk by riding with my father when he worked for the town driving a 4x4 Int. 1600 with double wings. As well as in high school I rode wing with the road commisioner. I never have run a grader with a wing, but that may be my next project. Ru nning a grader isn't a problem for me, running a grader with a wing seems as though it would be a handful. I know a local dpw director here hates to run the grader as it tends to push sideways easy and takes the whole road when it does, say nothing of turning it around on dead-end roads and small camp roads.
Here's a few more.
Another. This was the second time I got stuck. The 1 ton wrecker got me out, we had to chain him to a tree, do some shoveling and utilize a snatch-block, but we got it.
Nice pics I like that truck
I've plowed and benched with plow trucks countless times over the years. Believe me if you can plow with the vee, and bench with your Oshkosh then you would have no trouble with a grader. The reason I prefer a grader is that you can see much better, especially the wing. Also, if you slide off the road nine times out of ten you can get back on without a tow. Sounds like your local dpw director may lack a little on experience or maybe to small of a grader for what he was trying to do? I've shoved back snow banks with a grader all my life, and sure if its solid ice underneath then at times you will kick sideways, but a good set of chains and knowing how much to cut compensates for that. Articulating graders work perfect on the dead end roads or any other place when turning around. Turn them on a dime. Anyway back to trucks Just wanted to clarifiy..:my2c
That's a nice truck. We have a dozen of them sitting in a truck graveyard down here in PA. Looks like they have lots of good parts still left on them.