It has been running great, but suddenly it stalls immediately after startup. I changed the fuel filters, and air filters, then installed an in-line electric fuel pump. All with the same result, starts, and runs a few seconds then quits. It sounds great while it is running. It was working fine up until it suddenly started this. I don't think it has a selonoid. It is pretty old, but in great shape. It had been parked for most of the summer.
Take the fuel cap off and see if it keeps running. I lost my cap and replaced it with one that didn't vent properly even though it was supposed to be a vented cap. Took it back and got a name brand cap and no more problems. Could have some crap in one of the lines or possibly there is a plugged screen somewhere in the supply line to the pump. It would really help if you list what machine it is and what engine it has and also a serial number. Otherwise we're only guessing what might be the problem.
Can you verify that you have a diesel engine in this machine. 1835 or 1835B? 1845 or 1845B? Case 207 or 188?
sort of hard to answer your question with out a model number and the motor. by your description cant tell if its a diesel or gas.
"I have a car & need a part"
It is a diesel, but we are not sure which Model. We have the repair book, but no numbers are visible.
Diesel
It is a diesel, but can't find any numbers yet.
Diesel. but no numbers are visible.
It is a Case Diesel 1845 There are no numbers readily available, but I'll search.
It is a Case 1845
Old Case Diesel 1845 Skid Steer won't keep running after starting. I changed the fuel filters, and air cleaner, and added an in line electric fuel pump, with the same result. It starts quickly, runs smoothly then dies after about 10 seconds.
1845
okay so its an older case 1845. it has the 188 diesel motor. very good motors. there is suppose to be a plate right behind your left leg as your sitting in it that has the model and serial number. I have that model myself. do you have a manual shut off cable , if so check your cable back to the shut off valve located on the inside of your fuel pump. if that cable wire is loose it will close and cause the problem your having. There is also a cable support that if its come loose will cause the shut of to close. check this and get back to us.
& depending on the model of injection pump..{RoosaMaster/Stanadyne} it might have a checkball in the return fuel fitting on top of the pumps top cover.. Easy way to see if the checkball is clogged is to remove ALL of the fittings on the cover & start the engine.. IF it stays running.. u found your answer.. either the checkball is clogged from dirt & rust or the flex ring in the pump has broken up into tiny pieces.. & is clogging the checkball..
Thank you, I checked it and that isn't it. Any other suggestions welcome. It starts easily.
Back in the day I was working on a case 480 backhoe, same 188, or 207 motor. Same problem. After much head scratching, it turned out that there is a rubber gasket/diaphragm inside the injection pump that starts to rot out over time. The little pieces would be drawn into into a passage inside the pump when running, stopping fuel flow. After the motor dies, they would all fall back down. Started just fine, then would die. Exhaust every option, then if you can’t find a solution, pull the pump and have at least new gaskets put in.
I don't think the cover comes off of mine like that. It is an old one. Thanks, It looks like I'm almost there. There were two other previous cases like mine, but they haven't replied about how they repaired theirs. A new injection pump looks to be around $700.
There is a name plate on the injection pump.. There should be a small side window on the pump w/ 2 flat head screws.. Loosen the screws & get the pump leaking fuel w/ a good stream of drips & then start the engine.. IT SHOULD stay running.. which means the check ball OR the return line is clogged..
We'll check that, thanks.
I have the name plate off of the injection pump: Model # DBGFCC.431.4A. Serial # 2197938 MFG # 135874 It is a Stanadyne. I can't find a side window or two flat head screws. There is a little bolt, maybe 12" that could be a drain on the side of the pump. The return line has a drip, drip, drip.
I have the name plate off of the injection pump: Model # DBGFCC.431.4A. Serial # 2197938 MFG # 135874 It is a Stanadyne. I can't find a side window or two flat head screws. There is a little bolt, maybe 12" that could be a drain on the side of the pump. The return line has a drip, drip, drip. The screen in the top of the IP is clear. It is a Case 1845 Serial # is approx. 983646
if you haven't you need to take our fuel line off at the filter and use compressed air to blow back into your tank just to verify there's is no restriction before you get a new fuel pump.
I've done that, I can blow bubbles.
Thanks, it stayed running
What ever stopped the fuel flow will likely show up again.
Air will go through a blockage just fine, fuel coming the other way won't move enough fast enough to run. sometimes you have to take stuff apart, or test to see where the pressure is and isn't. We'll see what happens I guess.
Thanks for all the great advice. I tried each suggestion before I found the one, now I know what it is, fixing it permanently comes next, and I am working on that.
What fixed the issue?
hey marty here where did you buy the injection pump,im having the same issue