So, I go to a job for an engine that is hunting real bad. It is a gas engine with a throttle plate direct driven by a stepper motor. I cannot see any reason for the hunting so I grab my phone and start to make a video of the throttle linkage to send for possible technical help. Well with the linkage all illuminated and blown up on the screen I immediately see the problem. A plastic drive coupling is loose on the throttle shaft making about 1/8 revolution before friction takes over and moves the shaft. A turn of the set screw and all is well. Many times I have grabbed still photos of something and seen new things when blown up on the screen of my computer that I did not see on the site. My vision is not that bad, my distance prescription is light, I can almost get by without glasses, and I have tried reading glasses and they don't really help in close. My eyes are starting to feel a little "tired" but mostly I think cameras are so good these days they just can see better than eyes some times.
I use my camera in hard to see places and blow up the image too. It's a useful tool. Also helps to take pics as I tear something down to get everything back together right too.
I take photos and and blow them up a lot of times to read numbers ,look for cracks ,leaks. You can get better sight angle with a camera then you can sticking your head in a hole.
My cellphone camera is probably my #1 most used tool
I agree,the phone camera is a great tool. Lately I've deciphered seal numbers, found engine model numbers and even managed to read a nearly obliterated serial number using my phone camera. I've also hunted leaks hard to reach places
Whenever I get on site with a new customer, I always take photos of all major serial number plates and save them to my computer, and also major shots of the engine, etc, anything I think may be important. Then later I have pictures to refer to when the parts guys start asking questions. It has come in handy when customers obliterate numbers later on.
I have the Samsung Galaxy 8, love that camera. I also send pics to the parts guys when they say "DUH?"
Seems to me like the parts guys that say duh are also the ones that the only way to get ahold of them is to call the 800 number, wait for the message "please listen carefully our options have changed" that's been on there 10 years, push numbers to get the parts desk and then talk to a machine usually or get forwarded out of town. Therefore having no email or text picture capability. I'm talking the other big C that is not yellow here.
Just used my phone today to see a serial number in a place I couldn't see.It Is a handy tool .