Hi, I recently purchased a JD 310SE for personal use and its my 1st time working with heavy machinery. I would like to know if there is a recommended tool to remove this filter. I released pressure from the system (dip stick removal) and used a friction type filter wrench but could not unseat the filter. I read somewhere to tap into the bottom with an Awl to drain the fluid then tap in a screw driver into the can and use this to unscrew the filter. Seems brute force and can do this as I have the replacement filter but figured I'd ask the experts 1st. If there is an existing posting related to this I did not find it in the search. Also, if there are specific maintenance postings related to this series of JD 310's that would be great. The 310 has 6000 hours on it and seems to be in decent condition with only minor leaks on two cylinders. Appreciate any suggestion.
I Have a snap on filter strap wrench that has never failed to remove any filter I use it on. Including transmission filters on 310 backhoes.
Perfect, thank you. I’ll order one along with a 1/2” breaker bar and extension.
the best strap filter wrench by far is the one made by CAT-part # 2P8250. way better than the snap-on which can collapse the filter. I don't have a picture but you can probably google it
I agree the strap-and-rod type will damage the filter but it's garbage at that point anyway.
I don't care about the filter but once you collapse it you will likely have to cut it off because there isn't a good surface for the wrench to grab. once guys have used my cat filter wrench, they usually like it enough to keep borrowing it or buy their own
Maybe I am lucky but my cheap strap wrench once it has crushed the filter like a Budweiser can always starts to grab, usually the square tube finds a hole to dig into or whatnot. Hasn't failed me yet either but I can see the advantage of the Cat one also. Usually they stop crushing too when they hit the inner element, that is usually fairly substantial. Back before I had a strap wrench I used to get filters off by driving a sharp screwdriver straight through, well you can imagine what happened one day when one decided to rip instead of coming off. I had an oily mess of sharp, jagged metal on my hands (literally), don't remember what I did to get it off but I was not a happy camper that day.
Sometimes heat like from a heat gun or careful torch up against the seal can help
Cat wrench may be a good thing: https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Filter-Strap-Wrench-185-3630/dp/B004TR4B7S But the lisle strap wrench is more compact, in tight places, and much cheaper... http://www.toolpan.com/Lisle-63500-...w4uhVjzSQKAEuLIv9yzFNaCPwpi8ziwhoCI3AQAvD_BwE
https://parts.cat.com/en/petersonmachinery/185-3630 $11 from the stealership
I've used the Lisle one for years. The strap looks a little rotten now days but has never failed me yet.
All, thank you for the advice and recommendations and seems as the strap wrench is preferred. So far using the 1/2" drive strap wrench has not budged the filter. Strap grabs well using the 1/2 extension and ratchet but I need more torque. When I used a 4' breaker for extra leverage the nylon strap twists and slips. Drilled a hole in the bottom to drain fluid and to release pressure (just in case). Still won't budge.
Well, I guess I am a liar then, did you look at the Cat filter above? Also several Chinese versions on ebay are available.
Don't take this wrong because I've done it in the past as well. Are you turning the filter the right way to loosen it? Sometimes when they are upside down or mounted at an odd angle it gets confusing.
John C., and appreciate the thought as I figured this would come up....unless its reverse thread, working from below, and on my back I'm torquing from right-to-left or clockwise. Access is decent from below and its mounted 100% vertical from the piping system. Just thinking whoever serviced it last put it on tight and possibly without any lube on the gasket. (It won't hurt me to try to torque the opposite way so I'll give this a shot in a few.). Thanks,
All, I took out my BFH and tapped on the base a few times and resetting the strap to the lowest part of the filter it finally came off using a 4' breaker bar. I posted a pic as the amount of force used did a good amount of denting on the filter. Can I expect this in the future with this and other filters? Thank you all for your support.
Not normal. Likely that filter has been on there since Christ was a cowboy and the machine sat outside or some other rusty environment. Sometimes it's better to change filters when the machine is warmed up at operating temperature. More than once I have hadto tear the filter apart and heat the threads with a torch to get a filter off. Other times the threaded nipple will unthread from the filter base and remain lodged in the filter.
Could be correct in your assessment. I let it cool down yesterday before my 1st attempt in the removal. I greased up the seal and followed the JD instructions to seat and unseat then re-seat the filter. At least now I'm managing the equipment and as a 6yr USVet tech, and owner of a few other toys requiring major upkeep, I have a good practice in maintaining my gear. Appreciate the support from all. My next adventure with the JD 310SE will be on the tranny as it's intermittently not going into fwd or rev after heavy use. Once I perform all maintenance's and it still acts up I'll get a new post going.
Last time I changed the hydro filter, it was too big for any of my wrenches. Thanks to gtermini, I went to the local CAT dealer and got the $11 wrench. It didn't have the CAT plastic bag... I got the generic rubber band instead. Someone on Amazon is making a fortune. $73 each bah !
I did see some Chinese imitations online for that price, the lack of plastic bag makes me suspicious. Are you sure you got the real deal?
The wrench IS made in China. But, that's what CAT is selling. I went to the CAT Dealer with the 185-3630 part number. Are other dealers selling something different ?
mine looks the same. I've had it for years. it was the old part # which probably changes up to the new Chinese-made part #
I made this 35 years ago. Every filter it fit, has given up against cold steel and a 3/4 socket without slipping… Although the can looked like it was in a death battle with a Python.
I also have a old pipefitter's chain wrench similar!!
That was the inspiration of my wrench... Except using a socket and extensions / flex joints allows it into some very tight engine compartments.
Now that looks like a way to make a hard job easy. Has it ever ripped a filter can off the screw thread plate?
Nope... I try to keep the chain an inch to the top of the can to get support against the crush. It's made a dimple in a few filters. I would expect putting the chain down toward the mounting plate would tear the can as the bolt head winds up the chain. Then once a tear is started, the rest goes. I have noticed, there's no give using the roller chain. Much like pulling with chain vs nylon rope.