Ok,,let's see how good you guys are?? Machine was made in the late 60's, five cubic yard capacity. Who knows anything about it?
i have no idea what it is but it sure looks cool!
What no other guesses?? Hint...Late 1960's Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'm going to take a guess....... Link Belt?
Sorry, but not even close! Look at Colors...but you need to have been in this business for a "While"..I will not admit Definition of "While" beyond gray hair.
Bucyrus Eyre from the colors meabe
Well, I've got the gray hair, but not sure on the Mystery Machine.......I'll think on it.
Looks like a not so good idea from Bucyrus Erie. This must be one of the first attempts at a hydraulic loading shovel. I bet the operator is wishing there was a cab riser. I would hate for a rock to fall over the back of the bucket I see they never put it in production
It looks like they used the track system off some military tanks i have been around.:usa
I'll go with Bucyrus.
I'm thinking it's the bucyrus "scooper" I've seen some pictures similar to the one pictured. i think it was a koehring though
I agree that the undercarriage looks like a military Howitzer or 105.I would like to see more of it.Interesting.Ron G
I know what is! It's a deathtrap! The kind of luck I have that big slab would come down on me.
I agree with Legdoc, I think it is the Bucyrus-Erie 555-DT (DT= Death Trap). Never made it past initial demo because no one lived long enough to test it.
Bucyrus-Erie 60S Big Iron gets the brownie points. The machine was called the 60S and by Bucyrus Erie. I was proud to have worked for that company for 10 years in the construction machinery division. It was a five yard loader that could BURY 10 yard wheel loaders and use 40% less fuel doing it. Five were built and tested in mines in Minneapolis , where this one was. Several were also run on the east coast. They ran for around three years of development and testing in the field. Due to the Trapazoidial linkage, you did not use the undercarriage for digging. If memory serves me, the horizontal crowd was almost 10 FEET and approaching over 70,000 pounds of thrust. No, there were NO accidents with it, due to it's design the bucket did not come over your head or really even close, but at full retract, it would race toward your feet in less than 4 seconds. The other gentleman, who noted what looks like a tank under carriage..RIGHT again, It was in fact a suspended boggie undercarriage that could lock for digging, but give a reasonable ride at almost 20 MPH!!! Yes, it had a four speed power shift hydraulic drive under carriage to be able to get out of a pit between blasts of rock. All the main horsepower could be diverted to this drive system. Horsepower was over 400 with gear pumps, electic over air, over hydraulic controls!! VERY complicated and difficult to maintain, but remember in the late 1960's pilot controls really were not fully developed at ALL!! HIGH pressure, at high horsepower, was 2250 psi. Complexity was one of the main problems that hurt it. They DID solve the structural issues,,,No strain gauges then. This was really one of the first hydrualic shovels in the world, made by a company famous for CABLE machines. It was a concern that this machine, which it would have, would hurt cable machine sales. That is really what killed it. Hope you enjoyed a little history lesson. Drag1line
So what was the engine that they was using in them at that time.The M60 tanks i think had the chrysler continental V12 ,or something like that in them. Been a while and i try to forget all i learned about tanks after i got out of the Army,which was a few years ago. By the way i once owned a B'Sorrys hydraulic excavator.Good machine ,just impossible to get parts,it was made in England at the time. Broke a hydraulic line and had to wait three weeks to have it shipped from over sea.Line was like $80 and shipping was $90 dollars . It wasn't long after that i got rid of it.It had a Deutz air cooled engine and very smooth hydraulic.Ran for ever on a tank of fuel.:usa
Drag Thanks for the history lesson. Maybe it was just a little ahead of its time
I'm way to young for that stuff! Ancient history there! rofessor
N.CarolinaDozer I do not get insulted but I will grade a good wise crack...7.5 points..Ha ha. Construct'O the engine, if my failing memory serves was a 12V 71 Screaming Demon detroit. The machine that you are talking about was imported from a Subsidiary company in the UK, called Ruston Bucyrus the 150 RB. It was the only import machine in the line and yes, it was not well supported and did not last long in the line. It actually could dig pretty well...Uh...If...Uh..."Someone' knew how to reset the Linde main pump...I know nothing!!
Yea ! That sounds like the machine i had,again i tend to forget things anymore,so keep that in mind. Another thing i remember was the cab heater was ran on desiel fuel from the machines tank.It was a real joke and didn't work from day one.Plus the fumes from when it did try to work would run you out of the cab if you had the cab closed. As said above the hydraulics was smooth and it dug good.It probably was about the size of the 215 Cat,seemed a little smaller tho. It took and act of congress to get the dealer to take it back on trade and it was a real learning experience,plus an expensive lesson in the money lost by having to get rid of it. Just glad i was at least smart enough to figure out when to fold and not hold. The bad part was the dealer gave me the sales pitch that getting the parts wasn't any problem(wrong) ointhead.That was the first question i asked when i bought,can you get parts???????? They was Cat dealer ,but also had the BE dealership for cranes and stuff ,so i thought they probably was on the up and up until the line broke. The machine was a demo with only 900 hrs on it when i got it and it only had 1200 on it when i traded it back. So when i hear of someone that buys a piece of equipment that isn't something that is well known by me ,i think been there done that.NO WAY!!!!!! ,learned my lesson only took once for me,well maybe twice .:usa
A contracting company from NJ (PT&L Construction maybe?) had one of those B-E hydraulic shovels on demonstration, and they used it in some big rock cuts on a highway job, loading back dumps. Can't find any information on how they liked it or why it went back to B-E.
X2:drinkup
I'd like to have seen one of these working. Don't suppose anyone has a video?
What is it ? Another similar ? Mystery ?:beatsme
WOW..Ok,,I am going to start a guess that based upon the rubber tires, it is European. Here is more of the original Mystery machine.
Only a guess. An early Demag?
What is it ? Drag1line, Surferjoe; I found that photo on that Italian photo site. You can find the most weird mongrel ever thought about there. If someone even imagined it, someone, somewhere ,has built something like it. There was no clue in the photo caption. I pondered that photo for the longest time, till, I seen the proto BE appear.
Thats a boela Northart. There's more pics of it in the tread Norwegian pics, by rockbreaker... A Brøyt copy we think
Boela ? Thanks for the Link MKTEF, found it. http: www.boela-ladetechnik.de/english.html
Bucyrus Erie 60-S Here is a copy of the original specifation sheet that Bucyrus Erie published around 1969 just as the machine was about to go into production.
So what are they exactly? I have no clue.
Shovels for loading trucks.
The wheeled shovel reminds me very much of the Broyt wheeled rock shovels which IIRC are still in production - they offer full tracked shovels also. There is a similar tracked hydraulic shovel to that Bucyrus-Erie 60S, called the Benati MW140. I have no information about this machine, although it could well be that b&w "mystery machine" on page 2. I find these machines very interesting indeed. Koehring, NCK/NCK-Rapier and Menck built a series of rather rustic-looking hydraulically powered shovels called Skoopers. From what I recall of their history, they were built to counter the threat to cable shovels from a new machine which was really coming into its own in the 1960's; the wheel loader. The machines quickly vanished once more familiar hydraulic face shovels appeared. The largest of these I know of is the Koehring 666, although I have no idea how big that would be or how much it would weigh in at. :beatsme