Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Charlotte NC Airport Job Photos

gd10r ยท 2008-02-16 15:16

Here are some photos from the expansion of the Charlotte NC Airport. ES Wagner is the contractor and they are moving something like 5 million yards or so. Using a holland loader and a fleet of Challengers pulling eject scrapers. There are something like 20 740 / D400E Trucks pulling the eject belly dumps. I did some quick calculations and they are probally loading somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 CY + or around 60 tons. Thanks to John Stepp for sharing this photo disc with me. I do not know who took the photos but would like to extend him my thanks.

Replies34
  1. #1gd10r2008-02-16 15:27

    Here are a few more photos.

  2. #2385c JR2008-02-16 16:16

    Nice pics gd10r.:usa:usa I have never seen a dozer with that kinde of attachment. Is that what you call the holland loader? :beatsme

  3. #3gd10r2008-02-16 18:36

    385C, that is the best way to move dirt, if you have a whole lot of it and need to haul it several miles. Truth be told that is a holland loader, pioneered in the 70's, the guys that own holland loader live a couple blocks from me and they office here in denver. Basically a giant cutting edge, with a 6' wide belt, the dirt can really move. If you line up the haul units, I have seen them used with 120T belly dumps, 180T belly dumps, these 60 yarders and over the road trucks, I have photos of them digging the tenn-tom canal, loading a huge fleet of payhauler 50T trucks, would love to see more of those shots. Check out the website http://www.hollandloader.com There are several videos of the machines they build at work as well. Graham

  4. #4Mass-X2008-02-16 18:49

    gd10r, thanks for those pictures. Holland Loaders are awesome machines. And it's nice to see them in conjunction with ADT belly dumps. Ever since E-ject introduced them I've been curious to see the market's reaction. They seem a little bit small for the machine, but for long haul's that can't justify a 776 they seem like the ticket. Be interesting to see a larger model (with increased payload) coupled to a Bell 50 ton ADT. Probably be cheaper to mobilize than a 776, and run similar production numbers. On the Denver International Airport project, we did something similar, using grinders to process the material (hard and solid rock) and then lift it up with a Holland 610 (pushed and pulled by D10R's) then loaded onto 776's and 784's, as well as a some 651's and 777's. Was really cool to see one in action. They're awesome machines that aren't utilized nearly as much as they should be. Thanks again for the pictures. That's a cool project, with a unique (and overlooked) method of mass excavation.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2008-02-17 00:32

    I like the idea of the E-ject system, except the drawback I see is that it is best used in good clean soil. I think it looks like a disaster in rocky material, due to the trailer tires running over the dumped material, instead of stradling a windrow. With the price and availability of 29.5 tires these days, I would run scared of any rocks. Looks good in the dirt they are hauling though.

  6. #6joedirt2008-02-17 00:47

    Great pics gd10R. I've never seen 400's like that coupled to belly's. I wonder how they handle the load because it sure looks to me like they are hauling more than a 40 ton payload?

  7. #79420pullpan2008-02-17 10:52

    awesome pic i would like to see those e-ject trucks. maybe they will be at Con-Expo

  8. #8tylermckee2008-02-17 11:45

    Yeah im sure its more than 40 tons, but its on a trailer, its not all sitting on the truck itself.

  9. #9N.CarolinaDozer2008-02-17 13:16

    Nice pics gd10r! I've been by that project while driving down I-485. Looks like you all are moving some serious dirt. That's one long runway, how long is it exactly? Does that project include and the building pad for a new terminal? I read that USAirways is building a new terminalon that side. Wish we would have gotten that job. My company just bidded on an expansion of the B.M.W. plant in Greer, SC. It's between us (Taylor & Murphy Const.), Morgan Corp., and Clary Hood. There wanting to working two 12 hr. shifts, to get it done fast. Hope we get it, be good money. Well, nice pic's. Keep us updated with more.:usa

  10. #10Northart2008-02-23 01:40

    Eject Belly 's ?? Hello Gd10R, Never seen anything like those. Got any close ups of them dumping ? They dump like scrapers ?

  11. #11surfer-joe2008-02-23 10:17

    Nice looking older Cats. Don't see many that age in such good condition.

  12. #12stepp33602008-02-23 10:42

    Hi. Northart, I'm planning a trip down to Charlotte to see this job. Based on what I can read, and what my buddy at ES Wagner explained, the rig operate in the same principal as a scraper. The front apron goes up, and the rear ejector pushes the material out. The bowl does not move. I'm guessing that the clay material if even a little wet would not release if they were using belly dumps. I've seen Wagner's belt loader in Ohio loading highway belly dumps, in about 10-15 seconds. Very Impressive. John

  13. #13Wolf2008-02-23 17:12

    Some nice equipment there . . .

  14. #14Northart2008-02-23 17:37

    Eject ? Hi Stepp3360, Thanks for the insight. Got it figured out. Northart

  15. #15fensoncont.2008-03-02 21:08

    I was hoping to take a trip down to that project as well, but from what I hear ESW isn't very visitor friendly at that project? I've also heard operators and subs complain before as well. How does the man you know at ESW like it?

  16. #16d9ripper2008-03-05 12:15

    charlotte airport Yes they r running d10t's and r's for pushing pans and the holland loader.I work for E.S WAGNER and run a d9r for them.We r moving roughly 5 million cy of dirt on this job and it will last for about another 2 yrs.

  17. #17fensoncont.2008-03-05 12:28

    Did you just start working for them on this job, or have you been there longer than that? Do you like it there?

  18. #18d9ripper2008-03-05 13:59

    yes i love it i just started about 2 months ago and yes i love it there.ES says there gonna start up a division here in Charlotte so i'lll be able to work for them after the airport job is complete.

  19. #19Countryboy2008-03-05 19:44

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums d9ripper! :drinkup

  20. #20fensoncont.2008-03-09 20:34

    They've already got an office in Piedmont, South Carolina right?

  21. #21d9ripper2008-03-10 10:32

    im not sure about there Piedmont office

  22. #22stepp33602008-03-10 17:52

    ES Wagner has an office in South Carolin near Greenville. They purchased Thift Brothers construction several years ago, and started doing DOT work there. John

  23. #23385Diggin' Doug2008-03-10 20:30

    What kind of pay scale do they carry ? What does there work load look like for '08? Just curious.Would like to know more about this Company from those involved.Post here or PM me please. Thank you.

  24. #24fensoncont.2008-03-10 20:46

    I can give you info on their work here in Ohio if you are interested, as well as the Union rates here?

  25. #25385Diggin' Doug2008-03-11 16:52

    I would appreciate it.You can PM me if you want or post it.Thanks.

  26. #26fensoncont.2008-03-11 16:59

    Will PM you later tonight with everything, if not tonight I will tomorrow, sorta busy.

  27. #27JDMGrading2008-03-12 22:34

    Are you freaking kidding me?? I've driven all around that job site and never saw anything that looked like that, just some D6's and 330 cats and some haul trucks.

  28. #28N.CarolinaDozer2008-03-18 20:09

    They must be hauling those trucks back to Ohio. For the last two days I have passed them on Interstate 40 in western North Carolina. They are taking them in sections. I passed a bed yesterday, and a cab today.

  29. #29JDMGrading2008-03-18 20:57

    They must be, I rode out there today and wandered around there fenced in yard, they have a few of those trucks and wagons still there and 1 D10 and a couple 345's

  30. #30fensoncont.2008-03-19 07:32

    Let me know what else you guys can dig up down there, if they are hauling them back. Now I'm curious if there coming back to Ohio.

  31. #31Big Iron Man2008-04-22 10:08

    lot's of yard's Check Branson Airport Website. We moved 9.5 million Yds. in 6 months July '07-Dec.'07

  32. #32JBL2008-04-22 13:36

    Big Iron Man, Do you know if they are bidding on the 4 lane highway from Cole Camp to Warsaw?

  33. #33fensoncont.2008-04-22 15:35

    Unreal Big Iron Man, I was at the project, I couldn't believe the efficiency and speed out there. JBL, any other details on this highway?

  34. #34JBL2008-04-22 16:33

    They are going to expand 17 miles of 2 way highway to 4 lanes. They have to go through a small town and will expand that to 5 lanes. The north half of the project is in good ground(farm ground) and the south half is all rock. They have posted the proposed route and some cost estimates but that is about it for now, no figures on volumes yet. http://www.modot.org/central/major_projects/Benton65PublicHearingDisplays.htm http://www.modot.org/plansandprojec...2008-2012/D05_Highway_and_Bridge_Schedule.pdf