Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

N14 R Model

nicste · 2024-04-02 11:11

As a project I would like to put a 500hp N14 Celect into a Mack R model and couple that to a 18 speed Eaton. The truck is a Mack R797 that had a V8 that was removed 20 years ago. Has anyone done a electronic engine conversion like this, what is needed from the electronic side. This will be a restored hobby truck more than a work horse. Any help would be much appreciated

Replies4
  1. #1cfherrman2024-04-02 11:47

    I put a N14 in place of a 2 stroke. You will need the pedal that came with the (N14) truck or find a pedal that will work. The engine needs a 12v to the computer to run. Put a fan switch in for the fan. Done. You will have to install sensors for gauges in the cab.

  2. #2nicste2024-04-03 03:21

    Vey much what I was thinking, after chatting to a few people they said it would be complex and I should rather fit a 855. I think it will be a great combination and a interesting project

  3. #3colson042024-04-03 06:49

    I've never swapped an OEM engine for an alternate, but if I were to, I would look for a dead truck that had the engine I wanted for all the peripheral parts. Engine mounts, sensors, wiring harness, gauges, etc. Years ago, I helped a guy dismantle 2 different donor trucks. He was building a '46 Chevy 1½ ton pickup with a Cummins 5.9L drive train and needed a lot of the parts that his donor trucks provided. Made it a lot easier and more budget friendly than trying to piecemeal all the parts together from endless searching on the internet.

  4. #4cfherrman2024-04-03 07:43

    I don't see how running 4 wires is complex lol 1 for the ecm 3 for the pedal Although you will have to find a wiring diagram for your ecm and pick out those 4 wires I'm going to switch my pedal over to air throttle since I have 3 different throttle inputs all air, right now I have an air actuator pushing the pedal down.