Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back Up Cameras

IceHole ยท 2024-04-01 21:59

Anything decent that isn't $500+? Thinking about one for my big dump truck. And before I get "HEY BOYYYY, REAL MEN USE MIRRORS AND CAN BACKUP 6 TRAILERS AT 60MPH UPHILL IN A BLIZZARD" good for you. I have a cheapo on a small dumptruck and it's slightly better than nothing. Terrible delay between picture and real world and it about 1980s video recorder clarity, if that. Bought one for the skid steer, back up ~300ft a shot to blow my dooryard and it's hard to do it at night. But haven't installed it. Also got some LEDs. Less worried about light on the truck, mostly summer hauling so nearly 24hr light.

Replies30
  1. #1doug dirt2024-04-01 22:47

    I was thinking about getting one. Haven't decided on which one yet. My friend got one because he was directed by a worker into another vehicle. He was watching the worker in his mirror and they kept on waiving him back into the other vehicle. Some jobs will not allow you to back up on the job without a spotter. This could be way to not need to wait for a spotter?

  2. #2skyking12024-04-02 00:56

    Per OSHA you still need a spotter, but I would argue with them about it. The Ford has a high radio mount up by the windshield and headliner. I cut into it and made a double DIN Android reciever fit in there, and hooked a camera to it. head unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VTYKPL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Little $20 camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CB82Z1FY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 It works just fine. The main thing was the wide angle. you have to remember to wipe it off at the start of the day, or it takes a while to cook the dew off it. It's fun to hitch the trailer, especially at an off angle. Witnesses will say "wow you are really good at that". Sometimes you tell them about the camera

  3. #3IceHole2024-04-02 09:48

    I had someone do that too! I'm thinking it seems really close, but they're standing right there waving me back. Then bump and spotter all clueless.... "you just backed into my truck!" Uh, no, YOU spotted me into the truck you idiot!

  4. #4IceHole2024-04-02 09:51

    Don't have radios in my trucks or place for them. Or desire for them...don't use the ones in the trucks that have them.

  5. #5IceHole2024-04-02 11:29

    Osha... spotter? I'd never get work done if that was true. Nor would most drivers.

  6. #6cfherrman2024-04-02 11:45

    There are cheap dash cams on eBay that have a forward facing and rear facing and a big screen. I think under $200. If you break the cheap can you can probably replace it for $20

  7. #7skyking12024-04-02 12:10

    You asked her something decent that wasn't 500 plus dollars. You can add up my solution that came up to less than 400.

  8. #8cfherrman2024-04-02 13:01

    Android radio with a backup camera works extremely well within a few seconds, I put Android radios in all my vehicles and I want to find a dash cam solution that works with the radio as well instead of having to buy the standalone monitor kit Android radios are down to like 150 now

  9. #9treemuncher2024-04-02 16:32

    I just purchased this camera last month. 1080p 170 degree w night vision from Amazon ($39) and a monitor 11.6" 1080P monitor ($80) to replace the fuzzy excuse for a backup camera in my Barko. They will both work on 12v systems. I have not made time to install it yet but I did make the ram ball mount for the monitor. I tried it out in the shop and it was remarkably clear & bright, even in low light. I will replace others with these if they work out good enough. My eyes are really beginning to hate those 5"-7" monitors with 640 graphics. Technology has improved and I deserve something better that has good definition. This is a very reasonable price for better tech.

  10. #10PeterG2024-04-02 16:39

    I installed a Ecco Review camera kit on my Kenworth T800. The install was tricky. I mounted the one camera up pretty high on the rear gate, and welded on a dirt shield above. I used some heavy duty hosing and hosing protector to protect the cable from where it comes out from the dump bed, and goes into the rear gate. The monitor is mounted down from the cab roof by the CB and review mirror. Works great to see traffic behind you, how well everything is secured on the trailer and of course seeing what is behind you backing up. I also installed yellow flashers and work lights.

  11. #11skyking12024-04-02 20:30

    My cam is on and working in ~1 second after getting it in gear. That's plenty fast for me.

  12. #12terex herder2024-04-02 20:47

    What of these solutions are wireless, and will work on the back of a trailer with a load? I bought a wireless camera several years ago and mounted it on the rear of a trailer. The signal wouldn't go around the load on the trailer.

  13. #13IceHole2024-04-02 21:35

    I'm surprised it holds up to the tailgate banging. I was thinking down by the pintle which wouldn't have a great angle.

  14. #14IceHole2024-04-02 21:36

    Don't have radios in most stuff. Plus they are single DIN.

  15. #15Joe H2024-04-02 22:18

    There must be thousands of those little TVs that are in the back of car seats in junk yards, can they be used for a backup camera? And as to the spotter backing someone into something, saw a woman wave her friend into a parking place until she pinched her own legs between the bumpers. Then she started screaming. That was weird. Joe H

  16. #16skyking12024-04-03 01:36

    I mounted it under the edge of the bed. It is not centered because of the clearance light cluster. It gets dusty and condensation, but is safe from any of the dumping debris. When the bed goes up the back edge goes down and covers it OK. It shows me the part I care about, what I am about to track over. Oh yeah and the hitches

  17. #17cfherrman2024-04-03 07:44

    Put a brush on your dump bed so when your dump bed dumps it brushes the camera up and down once automatically

  18. #18treemuncher2024-04-03 10:10

    Good thinking! If the lens cover is glass or a hard surface, dust should not be an issue. But, if it is, set up an air line with momentary electrical control valve. My Lexan windshields can be scratched easily so one of my machines, the Barko 937, has an "Air Knife" cleaning attachment that blows air across the front glass when the switch is held down. This removes heavy dust/debris without risk of scratching the delicate surface. It's not as good as a wash down but it gets me by on a dusty day with lots of sun.

  19. #19PeterG2024-04-03 11:36

    Actually, the gate is a high lift gate. Either way I open the gate, there is enough slack in the cable. The camera does not help me to back up to the trailer hitch. I was going to mount more cameras, as the system can use multiple camera's to do more locations but I didn't want to spend that much money or time trying to run wires. Everything I heard sounded like wireless systems will not work with a steel dump box. I still get out and look when needed. I've only had one employee who could ever get me backed up perfectly to a hitch without ever having to pull forward and re- adjust.

  20. #20IceHole2024-04-03 12:54

    We have lexan in the skidders, couple are 30 years old and still can see through. Mostly branches bang them up, but it's surprising tough stuff!

  21. #21IceHole2024-04-03 12:55

    I usually bang the tailgate HARD to get snow out.

  22. #22PeterG2024-04-03 13:44

    The gate may not actually move as much as you think near the pivot as far as the camera cable moving. Depends how you set it up. If I get a chance, I will try and post some images of my set up. You can also mount the camera not on the gate but near the pivot. Post some images of the back of your truck.

  23. #23PeterG2024-04-07 19:06

    Here are some images of the monitor while I was dropping off my excavator at the job site. Have not taken any images of the camera and the wire by the gate yet.

  24. #24IceHole2024-04-08 04:42

    Not so much the moving but the shock when it slams, even if not purposely slamming it to shake stuff out. Will have to dig out my gum rubbers and walk out there with my when I get a chance. My yard has a couple feet of snow plus where I plowed all winter now enough mud to get a 4wd truck stuck.

  25. #25PeterG2024-04-11 13:32

    OK, here is the way I ran the gate camera cable. Again, the tiny camera cable in in a heavy duty hose with hose protector.

  26. #26PeterG2024-04-11 13:37

    When you dump move forward a bit so that the gate doesn't get stuck on the pile. Then lower the box slowly. If you need a tall/tight pile, just lower the box a bit as you move slowly forward after you've dumped.

  27. #27IceHole2024-04-11 16:05

    We purposely slam the gates to shake out material, especially snow. Likely won't NEED to with gravel, but not going to baby it because of a camera.

  28. #28cuttin edge2024-04-13 10:46

    what about a remote camera with some type of magnetic mount that you could just mount when you are in tights spots.

  29. #29skyking12024-04-13 11:27

    the bugger is wireless really won't do a thing through all that steel. it has to be a wired camera. They do have a power and an RCA plug on them so it could be removed and installed quickly enough. A little black tape to keep the dirt out of the connections when not in use.

  30. #30treemuncher2024-04-23 22:26

    I finally got around to installing the new camera and monitor in the Barko. I liked it well enough, I ordered another camera and monitor to update the Lamtrac. I posted links to these in the reply on the first page of this thread if anyone likes what they see and want to know where to get one. Old camera - not OEM but better than what came with it. 720p New camera and monitor @ 1080p Both cameras have the same view and are about 12" apart at the same height.