I have a n14 with a really long and also low to the engine fuel line with a steel tank made in 1954, the ECU cool keeps plugging after a few months. Do you guys think I can add a suction side filter right outside the fuel tank and a fuel line check and it still will pull enough fuel? I probably don't need much for filtration just need to get rid of visible particles. It's d 330e celect. Thanks
I worked on a Cat D333 engine that had a suction filter right at the tank and the engine was 40 feet away. It worked and that is all I can say. Put a tee fitting close to the engine and hook up a vacuum gauge on it and you will know how much vacuum it is drawing, not including the fact that it will tell you the condition of your filter in terms of getting plugged. Simon C
Hydraulic suction screen with a 5psi bypass
The fix will be a lift pump but I just want to spend that much right now, I'll try a screen or filter, thanks
I thank that N14 will pull the fuel. Common on many engines is a primary filter Luberfiner ??440FN? or Baldwin BF970? They are bird catchers. That hydraulic 100 mesh screen thing will work also but those other filters are cheep and readily available as are the filter housings.
I ended up having problems faster than I could push them off. I was hooking a fuel pump on on the hose that goes after the ECU cooler and reverse pumping the fuel hose thinking it was cleaning the ECU cooler plate. It would be fine over the hole but when I would move the rig it would start plugging up in under 10 miles. My friend ordered a 6.4 diesel lift pump by mistake so I bought it from him for $350, that lasted about two weeks till the high spec filters (3 micron I think) plugged. I replaced the 10' fuel line and put Baldwin 20 micron filters on the lift pump and it's working. I think what's going on is the old tank has just too much rust and solids in it, I'll probably go through filters till I get it changed. I have a aluminum tank ready to go, I have a job coming up that the rig will probably set there for a couple weeks and I'll run the rig out of a 55 gallon drum and change the tank on site. The 6.4 lift pump does 100 gph at 12 psi and I read the n14 fuel pump does 60-80 gph so I think it should be fine, the fass lift pump that would be sold for it does 180 gph. The fuel gets really hot I think it's normal but I didn't notice last summer that I ran it, but I was not paying attention to it. I might add a fuel cooler if I come across one.