Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Name of this stuff ?

Joe H · 2025-09-11 19:16

What's this culvert called ? Heavy wall, about an inch. Joe H

Replies11
  1. #1Junkyard2025-09-11 19:44

    Looks like poly pipe to me.

  2. #202SILVER2025-09-11 20:17

    Looks like fusible HDPE to me

  3. #3cuttin edge2025-09-11 20:37

    Yeah looks like that stuff they heat then weld together

  4. #4Junkyard2025-09-11 20:37

    Same thing, different regional dialect lol

  5. #5uptight excavating2025-09-11 20:38

    Not culvert pipe at all. O2SILVER is dead on

  6. #6cuttin edge2025-09-11 20:43

    Agree with you just never knew what it was called . I've seen it used as a water line at an iron ore mine. They had a trailer that heated 2 plates that melted the ends of the pipe then fused the together. They ran miles of this stuff

  7. #7skyking12025-09-11 21:09

    We used it for dredge pipe and it's incredibly tough. Little mom and pop 8 in dredge with an 8v92. He probably had 4,000 ft of it. You drag it up on the beach and then hook it on to the pickup and keep dragging on it. Then you cut it with a chainsaw and a self-loading log truck hauls it away in 55 ft chunks. It just barely floats after all the mud is out of it. Then you start pumping mud again and it sinks to the bottom. It gets the snot dragged out over rocks and I saw a container ship moored against a 10-in one. They came charging in there with two tugboats in this container ship snagged it up on the bow bulb. Pulled on it till it finally snapped. Sounded like a cannon going off. Then they put the whole works up against the dock. They cut out about 30-in piece where it wrapped around the bow of the ship and fused it back together.

  8. #8CM19952025-09-12 00:29

    Looks like it. Used here for domestic water and force main sewer lines.

  9. #9Junkyard2025-09-12 08:51

    We use it often on water lines here. Sometimes use it as casing when we bore a line under the road etc. Once fused it’s some tough stuff.

  10. #10skyking12025-09-12 11:33

    We had a 17' aluminum workboat that was broad of beam and heavy as heck, and a 40 HP tiller engine. That was the biggest tiller I had seen. It had a traction prop and would not push that work hull fast. I tied on to a 1600' string of 8" HDPE and had two tanks of gas with me, and towed it about a mile at about a mile and a half an hour. I closed two waterways briefly as I went. Used most of both tanks of gas.

  11. #11Joe H2025-09-12 12:03

    Well, it looks like it'll work for culvert. Got it free too, even better. I've not seen it used around here but I've seen a factory that makes it on highway 56 W of Cedar City Utah, miles of it. Silos of raw whatever & piles of this stuff. Joe H