Saw this guy the other day on my home. Any ideas? My amateur guess: pipelayer. Thought you might enjoy the pics.
looks like it could be for straddling rows of bushes/trees and lifting them at the same time.well just a thought nick..........
I would also say some kind of harvester ?
It is a cable layer. I have seen one in action before.
Never seen a dozer with a liftkit!
I've seen several different types of those. John Deere had one. Fiat Allis had them. They are used in Grape Vineyards to straddle the trees. There is another one with the John Deeres here somewhere.
The use I've seen for them was harvesting trees in a nursery, instead of using a tree spade on every tree.
I almost thought it was something for the pipeline like for welding, or bending the pipe, because of the chute's on the top and bottom of the underside of the machine. Othewise I would think it's something for agriculture.
Lash has it right. I would like to see some pictures of one in action though.
Td9
Ther is one for sale on machinery trader now a little diff, I ran across it the other day maybe a 450 case or deer if your looking made to stradle trees.
Cablelayer seen one also laying plastic water pipe many moons ago
It is used on tree farms it is used to prune the roots on trees and bushes. The roller up front is used to push the trees down as to not damage them, the pipes on the outside of the track frames is to mount shields on so as the tracks do not damage the other rows. A few years ago We built a high crop tractor for a nursery to use it in small bushes, same aplication just not as much drawbar pull needed. they have talked about getting a crawler as well. Keep in mind Not every "bulldozer" is used in construction....
A td9?? It's an International TD9 and the last time i had seen one like that was on Rt. 1 in Princeton, NJ 10 years ago.
It is a TD 9, and forsure a custom built steel pipe bender. my dad used those in the old days to custom bend pipe to fit the trench before it went in. that one just looks home made. Thats whmy its got the arched piece that runs through the bottom side of the cat, and the hydraulic cylenders at the back to pry the pipe against the bottom side of the machine until it bends .
That makes sense I would agree with you after looking at it like that again.
trees the machine is made to harvest trees from purposely grown rows all looks a bit flimsy to bend pipe have seen pictures before ,but cannot find them at the moment :beatsme
Best answer I've herd so far.... Pj
gertrude .... or gertie for short.... that's her name "gertie"
LOL, the first road construction outfit I worked for had a D-8 with that name. No ROPS, no dozer, just winches for scraper. Started with a pup. She was a cool ol girl. She did stand by. And was flawless at it. muzy
Tree Nursery machine These have been around for a long time
Lash was right. Used to prune tree roots in young orchards.
Looking at the trailer behind it in the recent pic- can you imagine driving that creature up the ramps to load it?? About as much fun as a steel drum roller on wet steel ramps- on a sloping roadside....
There may be other uses but around here they are used to harvest year old orchard nursery stock, the curved knife lowers to uproot the seedlings which are then picked up for dormant bare root planting in orchards
I'm voting orchard tool. Just because it looks like it would tip over if you ran over a golf ball, and pipelines are not flat land operation, at least not here in potter co.
Just when you think you have seen everything...
I think a p&w 4020 jet engine fits perfectly in that hole also?
It is a nursery tree digger. I know several people that have them here in Wa State and have seen them in operation. They straddle the nursery tree that has been grown for one season (here it is apple, pear or cherry). Then there is an under cutter that cuts through any roots and pulls the tree up. Then some times there is a sort of beater to knock loose soil off. The fanciest one I have seen is actually pulled by a 200hp wheel tractor at Willow Drive Nursery in Ephrata, Wa. I wish I would have taken a video. There gizmo dug trees on the right and then used gripping belts to pluck it from the ground, and a series of beaters knocked dirt from the roots as it traveled to the left side of the tractor. There it was tossed into the waiting hands of someone to load the trees onto a wagon. They have three diggers and dig something like a million trees in a week. Come to think of it, I think we to be in partners with someone on one about 25-30 years ago. I wasn't very old then.
Would love to run that!
I think this is where Cat got the idea for a high drive dozer .........
The first high drive track tractor was a Cletrac model F in the 1920's.
your spot on plantman for poly pipe laying pot the drum on the front spoll: :