Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Napco tractor 4×4 4 wheel steer 1960’s

lenray ยท 2012-11-26 12:22

I am looking at a NAPCO tractor 4x4 4 wheel steer bucket on front backhoe on the back. Detroit Diesel is the engine. Tractor starts and runs BUT doesn't move ----TORQUE CONVERTER?????????????? What componets make up this tractor>???? Any advice on the not moving and what the name of the parts would be appreciated. Some of these kind of tractors were made up using truck or other heavy equipment componets for the front and rear axles..........THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Replies9
  1. #1BillG2012-11-26 15:52

    You didn't mention model, is it a Ford or Continental engine? Probably a Borg Warner transmission and torque converter. Does the transmission try to grind when you put it in gear? If not it's probably the converter is low on oil.

  2. #2hiluxman2012-11-26 21:44

    Napco did GM 4WD modifacation in the 1960s never knew they made tractors.

  3. #3lenray2012-12-01 15:50

    IT HAS THE GM diesel engine. Tractor moved but not all that good. Torque converter and its surronding parts were removed and sent away for an overhaul. When the parts were returned and reinstalled--the tractor wouldn't move at all. Are those GM diesels any good ?????????????

  4. #4Mopaar2013-02-15 18:16

    Was wondering if you got anywhere on your trans issue I'm currently looking at a 44pd with a weak trans and new converter but not finding a lot of info on the fix I have found spec sheets for it but no real help

  5. #5lenray2013-02-15 18:30

    I ended up not buying that machine----it was in Alanson, Michigan. I bought a DO MOR--A DOMOR is a NAPCO kinda beeeeeefed upp. Did you see my ad that I just put up for the DO MOR blade. New they are 15K---I am asking 2500. Are you looking at the machine in Alanson??????????????? That machine doesn't have the rear blade. I wouldl trade the blade for the backhoe on that one. My DOMOR has the backhoe attachment--it is a Case. I see you are near Flint---I am up at Clare. Also have a Hough H 60 D for sale. 989-621-0483

  6. #6Mopaar2013-02-15 18:37

    Wow what were the odds lol ya I was looking at the same one I wanted it for my property up in copemish and I thought it was just a cool old tractor... You say it doesn't move? I haven't called them yet was just trying to dig up some info on it before I did

  7. #7lenray2013-02-15 19:10

    call me 989-621-0483 and I will tell you what I know about it. I am home right now.

  8. #8lenray2013-02-15 19:17

    call me 989-621-0483 and I will tell you what I know about it. I am home right now.

  9. #9Mopaar2013-02-15 22:07

    Just got the message, I wrk 2nd shift I will try and call tomorrow and thanx