Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Narrow Window Peterbuilt

Autocar ยท 2010-02-10 16:20

How many guys remember those Pets with the narrow window and butterfly hood ?Just about as cool as they ever made them. I haven't seen one for years but I bet theres still some around. Some where truck builders have lost the long sleek looks

Replies19
  1. #1tonka2010-02-10 19:22

    here's 5....

  2. #2Autocar2010-02-10 19:31

    Tonka were they made about 1967 I was thinking they didn't build them to many years for sure there cool looking trucks

  3. #3monster truck2010-02-10 19:33

    I dont have any pictures at the moment but my grandparents have a 1946 pete that is next on the rebuild list if any of us ever find the time. Up until 10 or 15 years ago it worked every day pulling lumber with a set of doubles, since then it has sat in the corner of the yard. My grandpa has a book of classic peterbilts that it's in along with his bubble nose cabover pete. Both are sitting in his yard next to his 1940-somthing autocar 3axle wrecker.

  4. #4tonka2010-02-10 20:06

    of the ones i posted they range in age from 49 -62..

  5. #5Autocar2010-02-10 20:10

    I didn't relize they went back that far . I was thinking 1957/1967 .

  6. #6qball2010-02-10 20:41

    the ultimate.

  7. #7tonka2010-02-10 22:54

    q that truck is for sale

  8. #8prenn1984@gmail2010-02-10 23:17

    we have a 65 butterfly hood, that was a two axle and we bought some blank frame rails and rear ends for a 3 axle and a 3406B backed with a 6x4. gonna be a full rebuild but we put it on hold until all this stupid CA emissions is sorted out. hate to build it up and then not be able to run it!

  9. #9jhschul2872010-02-11 02:05

    qball,that ole pete looks like the one from that movie "Duel"

  10. #10tonka2010-02-11 07:34

    It is the truck from "Duel"...it was sold recenly for $44,000

  11. #11PSDF3502010-02-12 22:56

    here you go http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1598234416.html

  12. #12Mack1852010-02-13 12:39

    I've actually seen the duel truck in person. The guy that did own it had it parked about 20 mins. down the road from me. It was being worked on last time I saw it I do believe.

  13. #13Muffler Bearing2010-02-13 16:49

    Awesome pics, I really thought in the movie his front bumper was made from a piece of railroad rail, guess I'll have to watch it again.

  14. #14Mack1852010-02-13 18:38

    According to the guy who owned it, they used 3 trucks in the film. Thats simply the only one left, So who knows.

  15. #15tonka2010-02-14 08:57

    its a show truck only, no signs, plackards, or DOT stickers...

  16. #16sawz52010-02-14 08:59

    i'm not sure when they stopped making the butterfly hood, but the small the last year they made the small window was 1972. in my part of the country they called them needlenosed petes.

  17. #17Autocar2010-02-14 13:27

    Yes needlenosed petes I haven't heard that term in a long time

  18. #18sluggo2010-02-15 23:01

    years ago at a mine I worked at, we had a old needlenosed KW..of all the older trucks I allways liked the looks of the B-model Macks

  19. #19Will Musser2010-02-16 16:56

    I'm building a 66' now. Mine is a rare steel cab. It is only a cab right now. I be on a late model frame, with a E model Cat, 18spd, 4 axle, 288" wheelbase, and a one off butterflied 359 exhd.