Hey ,They are letting you use calculators on load charts
And you get to keep it!
Yep . Not really understanding why they waited til now to do that . Every cell phone out there has a calculator in it .
those are some giant hands you got there tinny
I got to keep my cute little Manitowoc calculator from my tests 4 weeks ago. It isn’t allowed on any core exams, but is on all the specialty chart questions.
I guess somewhere (as it was explained to me) A certain group was dead set against it and that was how they settled it . No calculator on the core but allowed on the specialty exams . Probably the most aggravating part of this is the 3 week wait . I have had some sort of crud since new years and every day it was getting worse . But the testing was paid for and I don't think there is any way to get a refund . By the time we got to the actual testing I was feeling pretty numb . After it was over Mama marched me to the doc , It's turned in to pneumonia . So I have a concern as to weather I passed ...
Generally speaking . If I get a hold of ya , You there until I'm done with ya . LOL
I took the core November 3rd and they let me and the other four that were taking the core use the calculators. I was the last one out of the test room and the tester said to grab as many left over calculators as I wanted. I took 4 for my friends! The core didn't have any load chart questions though.:beatsme
We just got finished testing for the NCCCO. Nine of us tested. Four on swing cab and boom truck. Five on just boom truck. Results are: One guy flunked oth the written and practical. Four passed the written but flunked the boom truck practical. I passed everything. One other guy passed everything. Two passed swing cab only. I understand on the written some types of questions count more points than others. I understood the load charts counted the most. I thought I aced those, but, evidently I was wrong. I must have missed several. They make it tricky. And Tiny, Generally speaking, I'd rather buy you a beer and have you on my team as to have you "get a hold" of me.
We had 3 days of instruction from an outfit to help us get thru the testing . We are lucky in one respect . The union picked up the tab on the whole deal . This is personal opinion but I think the hall was afraid if they didn't have certified people ready that the contractors would slide operators in and push the drivers out . Load Charts , Not sure if you consider it sneaky or evil genius . With the multiple choice answers , One is correct and 3 are mistakes . Whatever the 3 most common mistakes are , They will be the 3 wrong answers . So if a guy does his figures and looks down to see the same answer he came up with , He better be right . Don't assume that just because you see your answer there on the answer sheet you are home free . That was brought home when I was doing load charts . I missed a deduction for a stowed jib . That answer was there . Got to the end of the test and still had time so I run back thru the charts . 2cd chart question I caught the mistake and corrected it . Another Evil Genius Chart question was on line pull . I run my numbers , looked down and that answer was there . Then looked at the parts of line and it didn't add up . Figured the line pull and made my deductions from there and that answer was there too . Some pretty smart/Evil people have put this thing together . One thing that upset me with this testing was what some of the contractors did . They sent guys down to do the testing cold . These guys just barely could spell boom truck , Let alone run one . I have no clue how they thought that was going to work . Poor guys just had no way to understand what was going on . It's not a training course , It's a Certification test . Unless you are an old hand with years in the saddle , It ain't easy .
tiny, its obvious to everyone here that you have tremendous experience and real world seat time. the sad part about this ******** non-union sponsored testing is that if you went to work for a new employer you and a newbe with the same cert. (with minimal experience) would be treated the same. (unfortunately the modern employer would hire the youngster because they move so much faster than us old timers that size up a situation before we act on it.)
dbl612 What you say is some what true . More employers will chose that that healthy looking young stud over us any day labor or carp. even ironworker wise. Last I had track in this area the average age of a boom truckie or operator was just over 50 . I have to believe that is from equipment owners wanting work done without breakdowns , damage and accidents . Don't sell yourself short . I could have looked at the whole deal another way and just let them reassign the boom truck to another guy and finished out the less than 10 years I have left in an " Easy '' truck . But I enjoy running a boom and believe there are more hours and money to be made doing this . All this will come to a head November 8th 2014 . When OHSA mandates Certified ONLY operators on everything ...... even mechanics booms rated over 2,000 lbs. The guy that helped us with the testing said at that time to expect the costs to double then . That to me means , If you have your card and have time in the saddle we should be in good shape .
in connecticut, a longtime crane-license state, the average age of boom truckies is about 25-30. because so few are willing to do the 6000 hr. apprenticeship, and many ops are of retirement age. the average age of ops of medium to large hydros (50t and up) is about 40. different attitude out there also. (meaning we can't do anything without someone making the decision for us). same wages for running an excavator, lot less headaches and responsibilities.
dbl612 , I may have to put my money where my mouth is HeavyEquipmentForums
Just got my new card in the mail the other day. I tested first week in DEC. scored 80's on everything. When I get back to town I have to do the practical on the overhead. I like my little red calculator.
quite sure you will handle whatever the future brings, experience beats all when the chips are down.
My CCO expires on February 28th... Got a lot of study material just not a lot of time to study it... Anyone have to renew recently? I've been getting Mixed emotions about the renewal test...
...
:notworthy :drinkup:usa:bouncegri:salute and finally, :thumbsup
Looking good. Always is a relief when you get the results back. I just did my recert. 3 specialties, core and I added overhead this time around UGH! was testing most of the day.
The waiting is a killer and Kansas City lay's right on the border of Kansas and Missouri . All the Kansas guys received their info last Wednesday . Must have been asked a dozen times "How'd Ya Do?' ..... Of course One loud mouth said the failure notice's are slower .....
Dustinlb, here’s proof that it isn’t a huge deal to get thru it. I have been taking it every renewal cycle that was required of me since it has been in existence and scored pretty much the exact same thing each time since the mid 90s. It’s all about how well you use your time, and knowing that the best answer [in the opinion of the test committee] is not always the right answer, but it’s still the one they are looking for. http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...ion=view¤t=My2012NCCCOrenewalscores.jpg
Thank u gostr8r, I'm goin to test tomorrow. Small, large, lattice crawler and truck. That reassures me a bit...
Good luck. I will say tho I refuse to take the small hydro cert' since it is so unlikely that we will ever buy anything that small and I won’t be on it if we did. I just figured I would save myself time and aggravation that way.
I will say also that if I can pass it , any one can . . Had pneumonia . That might have worked in my favor tho , I was not nervous . Just wore out
I got sent in cold two years ago. Passed swing cab and small telescopic. Felt like I been beat to death after I got done. Wasn't allowed calculator at the time but I wrote all over the test books.
We run galions all the time. Best machine ever built... I can lift the world with one and carry it anywhere u want...
Yeah the practicals are super easy if you have any decent operating skills. The scores I posted are all just my written exams. They gave me my test results within 30 minutes, but it took 3 weeks to get them in printed form by the mail.
Scratch taking it already... Had to go to a company training course... Goin test Tuesday. I'm ready.
I am renewed. Core and 4 endorsements for the next 5 years... Have to say, there were a few questions that had me completely dumbfounded. Guess its just luck of the draw...
Congrats! Let us know how you did when your scores come in, will ya?
Made a 95 on the core... Made a dead 70 on large hydraulic and lattice crawler, 85 on small hydraulic and an 80 on lattice truck. Here's the kicker: I made a perfect 100 on ALL my load chart questions (3 per endorsement). I would recommend anyone who is renewing soon to review specific knowledge and new OSHA rules. Take it easy on the load chart questions. Like I said before, there were a few questions that had me completely dumbfounded...
Good for another 5 years now.