I'm looking to get a Class 6 (26K max GVWR) medium duty dump truck that can haul my 1967 Case 580 backhoe that weighs around 10K. I want to haul the hoe in the dump bed not on a trailer because I don't have a CDL so I need to stay within 26K total weight. I'd only haul the hoe locally, within 50 miles, no highways, no hills as I'm in south Florida so it's all flat land. I'm thinking a Ford F-800 with a diesel engine. Is this possible at all? I guess I'd need to build some sturdy ramps! Is the bed sturdy enough to hold the uneven load of a backhoe?
I think its going to be close to come in under the 26k mark. But the real issue is will it physically fit? There are a few you tube videos of guys climbing into (no ramps) tandem dump trucks, but these are 10 yard beds. The 5 yard beds are considerably shorter. Why are you against getting a CDL? IMO getting your license is the cheap and easy part of running a truck down the road. If you really have your heart set up on hauling it without a CDL you might be able to make it happen with something like this http://mohave.craigslist.org/hvo/4371795632.html
Going to be tough. I had an f650 that weighed in at 16,000 tare and my Mack weighs in at 19,500 tare. I don't see how you could get the machine on there and be under 26,000. I also think your machine weighs a little more than 10k could be wrong though. The great thing about a trailer is the extra axles and braking power.
It should fit, my hoe isn't that big, around 20' long and 6-7' wide. Most of the F800 beds are 8' wide and I saw as long ones as 24'. CDL is not an option right now. That's a pretty cool setup you linked! Mine is going to be similar just dump bed instead of flat.
Yeah, I'll have to weigh the hoe to make sure I'm OK, I thought the Ford F800 weighs around 15K, but it's hard to fins info about this since it's so custom.
Do you have a picture of the type of truck your talking about? I was under the impression 5 yard dump bodies are around 10' long, which is too short for a hoe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FTAlIBJ4-0 As you can see most backhoes barely fit in a 10 yard bed. My backhoe wont fit in my 10 yard truck. There are flatbed dumps with long beds, but I think any way you slice it you will be over 26k.
According to the data I've found on line your machine weighs just around 11,000 pounds. I agree with the others here, you'll be hard pressed to get a truck large enough to carry it and be under 26K GVW
Cool vid! Yes, check out the F800 here and here . __ It'll fit in any of these as far as I can tell and they are 26K, the only unknown is their empty weight.. if it's above 16K you're right, if it's below than I should be fine!
Tractordata.com says 9500lb , but people who actually weigh them say around 10k. Too bad I can't take it to a scale house! Yeah, I can see it's a long shot to find the right vehicle, but I think it's out there.
Not a Dump Truck This isn't a Dump Truck... But a lower CG . Gotta Fly... PS I've seen guys load Backhoes into Dump Trucks "WITHOUT" ramps... . .
yup, this should be doable on a dump truck too.
Thanks Just because it fits doesn't mean its under 26k, I don't see that happening. Assuming that hoe really is ~11,000 lbs how about 14k gooseneck and a dually pickup? 11,400 gvw truck plus 14,000 gvw trailer = 25,400 GCVW You would need a dually to make sure the trailer isn't overloaded. I think with all short flat land trips it would work fine.
Not to beat a dead horse or start a CDL debate but he would need a CDL to move that machine on a 14k trailer. If it were me I would just get my cdl and be legal rather than try and find a "short cut"
why don't you get your cdl? just a thought if your stuck on not getting a cdl, how about a dumpster truck that could haul a dumpster to use as a dump truck sort of. and a flat bed to haul your backhoe, with its age and you not wanting a cdl i take it your not really planning on using it a ton so a dumpster/flatbed truck may be more useful than a flatbed or dump truck. just an idea, maybe not a good one but worth a thought? hope it helps
I use to think that was the case also....... In california I'm not sure if they changed the law or just changed the wording. It use so say a class A was a combination vehicle 26,001+ OR a combination vehicle with a trailer 10,001+. But after arguing with someone and looking it up again it now says just a combination of 26k+ provided the trailer gvw is 10k+. The difference between a couple very small words can make a world of difference in interpretation here. I tend to think you are still right honestly, but it seems the government is trying to keep us confused on this. I finally got a truck that unquestionably needed a class A so I don't have to try and figure it out anymore.
Where a lot of confusion comes in and it is confusing. In most states at 10,001 lbs you may not need a CDL but you do need to maintain a log book and have a medical card if it is a commercial(read, working in commerce) vehicle. The same rules apply if you are using your company trailer to haul your toys on the weekend. The DOT set up on weekends all the time here and stop every pickup pulling a enclosed trailer with company marking on them. The local paper shows the county court record and there was over a hundred DOT citations from over the 4th of July week last summer. Who knows how many more got paid by mail. Most of them two axle enclosed trailers with ATV's in them.
You got two options, Run complete and total outlaw, OR get a truck up to to the task and get a CDL