I want to go with a quiet one my inlet and outlet is 2.5 inch 4 cyl John Deere non turbo diesel got plenty of room because it goes straight up with nothing in way. Ill add a tailpipe so I can put my flapper on it. a universal one would work but I want quiet
Just a question you may need to ask is: does the muffler need a drain hole somewhere to let the rain water out? Maybe the exhaust manifold is already setup with drainage. Hopefully someone will help us with this answer.
it has a flapper at end of tailpipe
Can you get a model and serial number of the machine so I can get more information to go off of? I will start looking now but if you have more information please send it to me or email at [email protected]
A standard muffler from the autoparts store will be the quietest you can get. The bigger and longer the body, the quieter. If you don't care about shape (oval vs round) or inlet/outlet position theres probably something on the shelf at the nearest parts store. I doubt I need to mention it, but stay away from any straight through design (any magnaflow, glasspack) if quiet is the objective. Take a look for yourself; http://maremont.com/muffler_search.php Alex.
local autoparts store only had a turbo thrush,not what I was looking for. machine is a JD400 close to a 2020 farm tractor really just looking for a universal thats even quieter than a OEM one
Your parts store sucks. =-) Go to napa, have a look in the back from the counter and you will see pipes and mufflers hanging from the ceiling and filling the shelves. If they don't have one in stock, grabbing the paper book and looking for what meets your specs is easy. Hell, do it yourself in the link I posted in post #5. See what comes back, then you will have a common passenger car or truck replacement muffler part number. Take that number to Napa/Autozone/O'Rieleys/Whatever and have them cross reference it to whatever line they carry (Maremont, Walker, Roll, etc). And before you hit the part store, you can google what that particular part number fits. Then just walk in and ask for a muffler for a 2003 Chevy Express 4.8L (or whatever it happens to be). Alex.
It seems to me the more quiet you try to make the exhaust the more back pressure you will have. Are you sure not using a diesel muffler is ok.
Did you have any luck sourcing your muffler?
not yet I did a real backwoods fix and jammed a short muffler into the broken tail pipe of the other one. So I have 2 mufflers on it. Does this qualify as duals? ;^)JK
Sounds much better without muffler imho. Make it roarrrrrr!
Its way too loud for me,thats why I want to quiet it down. The tailpipe rotted off so Its time to replace anyway.