Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a Service Manual – 299D2 XHP

Quantum ยท 2018-06-18 19:54

Can anyone help? Want to split the cost? CD much preferred. Is my only option, Cat? Also need a Parts Manual and Ops. & Maintenance.

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2018-06-19 10:05

    As has been said many times before, used manuals for sale on auction sites appear to attract premium prices, maybe because of the oil stains....... usually it's cheaper to get a new one that is guaranteed to be both complete and up-to-date. Try either of these links - the 1st one only does CD & paper versions, the 2nd offers downloadable Adobe pdf files as well. https://servicemanualpro.com/ https://catpublications.com/ Supply a Serial Number and more detailed advice may be forthcoming ............

  2. #2Quantum2018-06-19 16:06

    New here. And thanks. Looks like servicemanualpro charges $300 less than Cat. But who knows if it's up-to-date and specific to my machine. I guess I'll stick with Cat. I have enough problems. It's a DX2... and guess what, burned! Surprise!

  3. #3Nige2018-06-19 17:25

    I'd be surprised if there was that much difference in price TBH. Give me a full Serial Number and let me look up the info from the 2 providers just to confirm.

  4. #4Quantum2018-06-19 19:29

    That's what they say. DX200947

  5. #5Nige2018-06-20 05:07

    From what I can see Cat does not offer a complete Service Manual, only a Parts Manual (SEBP7195) or O&M (SEBU9084). I searched every which way for a Service Manual and came up empty. Prices: - SEBP7195 - $104 paper, $89 for CD or pdf download. SEBU9084 - $101 paper, $86 for CD or pdf. Service Manual Pro list the 2 above documents plus a complete Service Manual (UENR3710) Prices: - SEBP7195 - $113 paper, $88 for CD. SEBU9084 - $55 paper, $42 for CD. UENR3710 - $1081 paper, $676 for CD. FYI a Service Manual includes the O&M Manual.

  6. #6Quantum2018-06-20 10:07

    You have to order the service manual through a dealer. (which I have done now). It's $1k on CD. I guess I don't trust that Service Manual Pro has an up-to-date or correct one as theirs is for about 10 models, and there must be some reason it's so much cheaper. Good to know that the SM includes O&M, thanks.

  7. #7heymccall2018-06-20 21:38

    You can't pick the segments you actually need from the $1k listing? Lately, that's all I've been doing with Cat. Just buying the segments I need. Instead of $700 for a 930K manual, I just bought $300 worth of segments. Hell, half the inserts were for variations that I didn't even have.

  8. #8Quantum2018-06-20 23:28

    'Segments'? I was told it's all or nothing. It's a CD at Cat corporate that is made when requested. How did you get to choose segments?

  9. #9heymccall2018-06-20 23:59

    I dunno? I guess my dealer is smarter.

  10. #10Nige2018-06-21 05:57

    If you order a paper manual you can cherry-pick which sections to order. I'm not sure if that works with a CD version which is what the OP has ordered if I am reading post #7 correctly.

  11. #11Quantum2018-06-21 12:10

    Well hell, indeed I've ordered the CD. Naturally they wouldn't tell me this about the paper manual. Got me, Cat. I called the local dealer yesterday and they say the O&M and Parts manuals are not part of the Service Manual. Well I have a burned-up 299D, so maybe I'll just point out parts I'll need and let the dealer look up the part numbers, rather than ordering the parts manual. OTOH this may make finding parts on eBay difficult. (if there -aer- any parts I need there, which is doubtful, since all construction equipment eventually burns up)

  12. #12heymccall2018-06-21 14:00

    For parts lookup, either register (free) with your cat dealer, or, do like I did and register there, and with AVSPARE .com. It's free, too. Once registered at AVSPARE, from the home page, enter your model number and pick your prefix. Next page will have a machine systems listing. Pick your system, and the next page will have parts listed, with service info below. Not every piece of service info is in there, but there's a hell of a lot. As stated before, individual segments of the manual can be bought separately...the electrical schematic isn't on AVSPARE, but, i know my Cat dealer will print one out for less than $50 (rather than waiting for a printed manual to come by mail).

  13. #13Quantum2018-06-21 14:13

    Wow, very nice heymccall ! I'll do that, thanks. HeavyEquipmentForums

  14. #14Quantum2018-06-21 17:16

    Ok, here's a secret: Just got off the phone with Cat Support for a login problem, and he told me how to get into their private online parts network! Log in with your local dealer, then go to Parts, and then at parts.cat.com you should have at the top "Shop by Category" and "Misc". Hit Misc then SIS. Agree to the silly agreement and you're in their Service Info System. Enter your serial number (don't change anything else) and hit the link to the right, " Systems & Components", and Bob's your uncle. (Bob is actually my uncle) This is what the shops use to cross-ref actual serial numbers to relevant parts and drawings.

  15. #15heymccall2018-06-21 17:44

    And, that's what I do, except mine is tied to an account, so I get pricing and availability. But, AVSPARE has a lot of the SIS info, too, along with a lot of repair instructions.

  16. #16Kaptain0072023-05-11 08:14

    Did you ever get your manuals for your 299D2 XHP? I just bought a used one, serial number DX202439, now looking for manuals. If you have a complete set of manuals for your 299D2, please let me know if you are willing to sell me your digitAl version, assuming your manual suits my 299D2 XHP as my serial number is only slightly different than yours.

  17. #17Kaptain0072023-05-14 16:01

    I have purchased the SEBU9084-24 (updated 2023 digital version). If anyone wishes to trade with me some other manuals, or pm me a $20 or $30 Amazon gift card to share some costs.