Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a smaller general purpose excavator bucket… what size? 36″ and 6″ currently

Dadnatron · 2026-06-02 09:55

Kubota KX-080 Need a smaller general purpose digging bucket. Currently have a 36" and a 6" Rhinox deep trenching bucket. I need it for general farm related things. I can 'make due' with what I have but I find I am not using the right tool for the job. Either my hole is far too big, and unwieldly, or I'm picking picking picking... I'm looking to get something useful in between... but would like your thoughts. Primarily at this point, I'm putting in a farm wide water system and don't need huge holes for junctions and would rather have more control over digging up pipes, etc. I feel like I'm using a D8 to smooth some ant hills. I'm thinking something like 18"... but I'd like some thoughts and experience. Something more nimble and useful. Also... your thoughts on 'bucket teeth' styles and utility. Soils are clay with limestone underneath.

Replies15
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-06-02 10:01

    Definitely a 18” with digger teeth, would be on the menu for the day!

  2. #2skyking12026-06-02 10:07

    for an 8 ton I would opt for 24" and by all means get a 48" + clean up for bulking. Depending on how deep it is, they might make a 54". Once you have a big smooth bucket you would miss it terribly.

  3. #3CM19952026-06-02 10:33

    FWIW we have the following for our 305's (5T) - 18" w/teeth 24" w/teeth 36" smooth The 24" and 36" get used the majority of the time. 18" is useful for demo and rock other wise the 24" goes on for digging purposes.

  4. #4skyking12026-06-02 10:36

    most times nobody wants to get into the 18" dug trench. He has that 6" for drop in HDPE installs. You can turn around in a 24" trench. I dig for the plumbers and have an 18" when it is relatively shallow it is OK.

  5. #5MG842026-06-02 17:42

    24" bucket is by far my most used size past/present on everything from 3.5t mini ex's to full size backhoes. Good size for general purpose digging, digging footers, clearing land, works fine for trenching, ok for loading. For my 5t mini ex I have a 12", 24" and 36" buckets as well as a smooth edge grading/ditching bucket. For the backhoe (which would be equivalent size to your 8t) I have an 18", 24" and 36". There is a ratio for depth vs width that works good and doesn't plug. 12" is too narrow for a bucket that big IMO, 6" sounds like a nightmare, even on a long low profile bucket. I'd bet good money you could actually trench faster with an 18-24" bucket and have a trench that's a lot easier to back fill and compact.

  6. #6CM19952026-06-02 19:24

    This thread just reminded me I do have a 36" toothed bucket for a Cat 420DIT I sold several years ago. Anyone interested PM.

  7. #7suladas2026-06-03 01:44

    24" IMO is ideal. Another thing to consider is if you have a thumb more then likely it's right around 24" wide so anything narrower you won't be able to dig a trench more then like 3' deep.

  8. #8Dadnatron2026-06-11 20:01

    That’s a very good point. I’m going to have to measure, as that could be the deciding factor.

  9. #9KSSS2026-06-11 23:44

    I run into that with my 12' bucket and my Taki 257. Good for about 30 inches or so and then the thumb gets in the way

  10. #10HarleyHappy2026-06-12 10:39

    I usually take the thumb off, when I use my 12” bucket. While it comes hand, it usually screws up my sight line, while trenching and I make a mess.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2026-06-12 20:45

    Dad abd uncle for years did 99 percent of ditching with a 18 (307) now with the big hoe(312) its all 24 since the boom and thumb wont fit in a 18 inch.

  12. #12ExcavatorPartsVincent2026-06-12 21:40

    On a KX-080 I would not decide only by width. For the work you describe, I would first measure three things: thumb width when closed, pin diameter / pin center / ear width for the coupler, and the depth you actually need to work beside pipe without the boom or thumb fighting the trench. If the thumb is close to 24", a 24" tooth bucket often becomes the "leave it on the machine" size. It is still controllable around junctions, gives you room to work in the trench, and backfills/compacts cleaner than a very narrow slot. An 18" can be useful for shallow pipe and rocky clay, but if the thumb or stick geometry gets in the way at depth it may feel slower than expected. I would keep the 6" only for narrow drops where you already know the alignment. For clay over limestone I would use standard digging teeth unless you need more penetration, then consider a tiger or twin-tiger style. Also check side cutters, adapter wear, cutting edge, bucket weight, and whether the bucket sits square on the coupler before buying. This bucket-fitment checklist covers the measurements I would verify before ordering or matching a bucket

  13. #13smifwal2026-06-13 20:15

    I have sany sy35 almost 5T 12" w/teeth 18" w/teeth 24" w/teeth 36" smooth and a ripper 1 tooth width All with side cutters except the smooth and the ripper and chains in the bucket we have a lot of clay and it likes to stick My thumb gets in the way if I dig deep or stick out at about 30" deep, (with the grade controls I don't do much reaching) I use the 18" for anything deeper, that is wide enough for me to get down and make connections for power conduit, if I am digging for someone else and they want a bigger working pit, depending on depth I will switch buckets at the start/finish to the 24" less to backfill that way and faster digging in my experience. Also less future settling. I use the 36" to back fill and dig in for transformer pads and secotionalizers

  14. #14Dadnatron2026-06-19 14:15

    I've seen 2 ways of adding chains. Your chains are entirely within the bucket. which I like, but I can't figure out 'why' that would help. Whereas the other way is to have a part of the chain attach to something like the thumb bracket or arm, so when you extend the bucket to dump, the chains become tight and eject the mud from the back. The other way (ejection method) makes sense, but is an added complexity. Have the chains totally loose inside the bucket solved your 'clay' issue?

  15. #15smifwal2026-06-19 17:50

    When I bought my backhoe 12 years ago it had a trenching bucket on it and had a single chain in the middle, I had no idea why, till about 5 years ago and this old head told me why. My 18/24 have 2 chains but to answer your question yes it has, something to do with it creates a air gap so you don't get the suction that you typically get with clay. Once in a blue moon I have to clap the bucket or muck out a small portion at the top before I put the chains in I was clapping and mucking a lot especially if it was wet or if I was trying to hog out a section and not digging with the teeth like up again a house or a power pole, I take big bites. Now the clod just kinda falls out with minimal effort