Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a starter for Cat 426

edgephoto ยท 2023-08-28 21:08

I was at my backhoe today, CAT 426 S/N 7BC1596, and diagnosed the slow cranking. I have a 2.5volt drop inside the solenoid. I could remove the starter and replace the solenoid but being a 35 yr old machine and the starter looks old I was thinking of just replacing it. In the automotive world people are replacing the big old heavy starters with the Nippondenso units. I had an old Jaguar with a giant Delco unit. Replaced it with the tiny little Nippondenso. Cranked faster and of course started easier. My question is two parts: 1. Is there a source for a good quality rebuilt? Brands to buy, brands to stay away from. 2. Is there someone who makes a Nippondenso that will bolt in?

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2023-08-28 21:42

    OEM bosch 0 001 369 002 Caterpillar 6T8832 subs to 7X1361 Both are original style. Maybe that will help you find a cross.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-08-29 00:55

    Nippondenso starters can have issues too. Why not see what it costs to rebuild the starter in it?

  3. #3joe--h2023-08-29 11:20

    Search for Cat 426 starter turns up a bunch of them. This a reduction type for $140, China I'm sure but they probably all are. https://www.amazon.com/CATERPILLAR-142-0538-142-0539-228000-1422-2873K409/dp/B00T67KQF2 Or put a solenoid on what you have. Joe H

  4. #4edgephoto2023-08-29 20:48

    I think I am going to pull it apart this weekend and see if I can clean up the internal contacts. It was cranking fine before it sat when I was working on stuff. I am sure it is just corrosion from lack of use.