Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need a used dozer and guidance

mtang45 ยท 2012-09-26 20:07

I've been looking for a medium size dozer for farm work and it seems that 90% of whats is on the market is on the east coast or California. I live in Missouri and shipping costs blow the budget, plus I have issues buying equipment untested. One place that I have been looking is Iron Planet since they have equipment closer to home and offer some kind of inspection guarantee. However their inspection results are kind of vague and they say nothing about the under carriage other than "look at the pictures". Anyone ever bought thru Iron Planet and want to comment on the experience? I'm also open to other suggestions for shopping that are reliable sources. Thanks for any input.

Replies7
  1. #1dbs2012-09-27 03:42

    Dear Mtang45, I bought a Komatsu D21A from Iron Planet a few months ago. I had a good experience and felt IP was very professional. I would recommend reading as much as you can about the machine you are considering bidding on. That is reading on the Internet about that model and it's common problems. Also talking to the local dealer and or mechanics about the model. There is always going to be some risk in buying used equipment but if you are in an area where there isn't a lot of local choices like I am(Alaska) I believe IP is a reasonable way to go. I used their Priority Bid process so they bid for you in increments up to the most you have told them you are willing to pay. I ended up with a machine in very good condition at a fair price even when factoring in the shipping. Good luck, DBS

  2. #2mtang452012-09-27 10:44

    I have located a Case 850G that is close to home. All apears to be in good shape except for excessive wear on the Blade Trunnions/bushings, Tilt Linkage Pins and Bushings and Blade Tilt Cylinders. What kind of repair cost are we looking at for these?

  3. #3caterpillarRy2012-09-30 16:07

    well at that size i can say the old 3t's and 17a's never go above like 7500 8000 up here in MA

  4. #4caterpillarRy2012-09-30 16:13

    oh yeah i always look on craigslist

  5. #5Dig_Texas2012-10-01 20:50

    Bought a JD310 from IP. Ran good until you put a load on it then it would overheat. Turns out it had corrosion cavitation of the liners and it did not show up until it was run for a while under a load. IP specifically indicates they do not run the machine under a load. From now on I want to run anything I buy.

  6. #6vapor3002012-10-01 21:09

    ritchie bros is right across the river

  7. #7mtang452012-10-02 07:37

    Found a really nice Cat D6B locally. No guessing and no shipping involved Thanks for all the suggestions!