Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need advice on 1948 d4

hcosper ยท 2009-12-01 23:31

I need some advice on a d4 I have been offered for free. Was last ran about 2 years ago. They parked it with a can over the exhaust. Six months later found the can off, and it would not start. I am guessing it has a pony motor, I have some heavy equipment knowledge. Track vehicle tech in the Army. Need idea on what type engine to expect, gas or diesel? Any other specs or info would help. Since this track is about 175miles away and owner is about 90yrs old. Kinda hard to talk with him. Wifes GreatGrandad. Since free is it worth looking at, or will it possibly cost more than worth? Thanks for any help.

Replies3
  1. #1dieseldave2009-12-02 13:12

    Both- it's got a gas pony to start the diesel. It's definitely worth taking a look at, and if it's in decent shape- especially the undercarriage- it's worth saving. There are folks on this website that have the knowledge to help you, but it wouldn't hurt to ask here http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/ACF_v2/ as well, as this sort of thing is all these guys do.

  2. #2hcosper2009-12-03 01:27

    Thanks DieselDave, I am really starting to get excited about the possiblity of this project. I checked the site you referred me. Really good, I am starting to learn alot about these old cats. Soon as I get The chance to go down there I'll get some pics and post them along with an update. Thanks

  3. #3dieseldave2009-12-03 02:26

    It's likely to be a 7U series D4, maybe start looking on ebay for some manuals. An Operator's Manual is a good start and should give you enough info to get it going. A Service Manual for the machine, the engine (D315), and a Parts Book will also be useful if you decide to get further into it. Here's another site that may prove useful http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/forumdisplay.php?f=4 Those old D4's are slow and clumsy by today's standards but they're a tough machine that will still do a lot of work if you've got the time.